Stuck batteries

Harvey3733 said:
Has anyone had the problem of batteries becoming increasingly hard to remove from the Phantom 2 vision. I now need to pry them out. Silicon spray?

Yes,..it seems to be a common problem. There is a technique someone posted.
Seems pretty simple. A wipe down the edge of the battery track with silicone probably would be fine too.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIperEc05Ls[/youtube]

Or make sure you didn't do what I did last week. I installed took off the bracket for the camrea and when I put it back on i used screws that were about 2mm longer then the original and they stuck up threw the bottoms of the rails in the battery compartment. Wopps I had to back them off some to get my battery out. And then after replacing them I turned one in real tight it still was just slightly catching the edges of the battery packs cage on the bottom. It went in ok a few minutes before that but getting it out was the problem but I noticed a scratch right at that point on the battery then looked at my others and some of them had it to. So they were rubbing on the very end of that screw to. just not enough to catch on the edge of the cage.

J.James said:
Or make sure you didn't do what I did last week. I installed took off the bracket for the camrea and when I put it back on i used screws that were about 2mm longer then the original and they stuck up threw the bottoms of the rails in the battery compartment. Wopps I had to back them off some to get my battery out. And then after replacing them I turned one in real tight it still was just slightly catching the edges of the battery packs cage on the bottom. It went in ok a few minutes before that but getting it out was the problem but I noticed a scratch right at that point on the battery then looked at my others and some of them had it to. So they were rubbing on the very end of that screw to. just not enough to catch on the edge of the cage.

+1 Another valid root cause!

It's a given that the batteries are a tiny bit tight from the factory but, IMHO, never so tight as to warrant applying plumber's grease or (even worse) WD40. Believe me, I have gone through plenty of Phantom batteries and shells (7 batteries and 3 shells) and never encountered any, except in the circumstances described below, that are are so tight they cannot be inserted/removed with a little elbow grease...

If you are having stuck batteries, there is something wrong with the battery or the shell that needs to be fixed. Before resorting to lubricants please check the size/position (how tightly inserted) are the screws for your gimbal or other camera mounting device. If that is fine, you should take a close look to make sure your batteries aren't bulging at all. A bulging battery is dangerous and should be immediately disposed of properly. Please don't try to force them in or greast them up! It's a big and potentially dangerous mistake :!:

My solution to difficult to remove battery.
Observed that the battery slide easily in about 80% of the insert and resistance at the end.
Thought it was the power connector for the battery but found it was the guide at the end of the slot.

The battery slot and the guide are slightly misaligned (maybe due to crash) when the cover was removed.

I enlarged the slot a bit with a dremel tool at the battery slot on both side. Now the battery slide in easily
and removal is a breeze. Have also check that the battery did NOT dropped off by banging it.

Sometime the battery casing bulged slightly after several charges. It is not noticeable but it will contribute
the increase of the resistance to remove the battery.

Have not try the silicon grease yet but it sound like a good idea. WD40 is petroleum base lubricant. I am not sure
whether this would react the plastic casing of the battery in a long run.

My solution to difficult to remove battery.
Observed that the battery slide easily in about 80% of the insert and resistance at the end.
Thought it was the power connector for the battery but found it was the guide at the end of the slot.
Have not try the silicon grease yet but it sound like a good idea. WD40 is petroleum base lubricant. I am not sure
whether this would react the plastic casing of the battery in a long run.

A simpler method to accomplish the same goal - rather than using a dremel (which worries me with a spinning tool that close to the battery cover) I simply used my penknife to slightly chamfer the sides of the slot, and also to lower the spot in the slot that is slightly higher than the rest. Very little plastic removal is needed (less than the 1 mm stated) so the fit remains secure but not overly tight. You can also place a tiny amount of lubricant only in the slot (I wiped mine with a tissue that had silicone spray applied). Voila! Battery can be removed without prying, yet remains snug and secure.

Hi there, try searching on YouTube using this wording. (Easy & Hard Ways To Remove The LiPo Battery - DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ (Plus) Tutorial) This way to remove a battery works every time for me and it is so easy. Let me know what you think of it once you check it out. Regards Ian.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl