Stress Crack

I wasn't saying you couldn't do it I was just saying that it's a lot more to it than the rc cars. I'm in both hobbies as well and I replaced the shell on mine once already and I would much rather tear down one of my cars than this darn drone!

Reactions: chopperguy
Got my bird back this afternoon from Maverick Drone Systems, couldn't be happier with the service! After talking with the tech Logan about possible causes he also mentioned possibly a out of balance prop, and bugs. My reply was funny you mentioned that because after the flight a couple of the props had quite a lot of bugs on them. I remember laughing about how I killed a lot of bugs this flight. To be on the safe side I did pick up another set of props and will toss the original ones.
All in all this experience turned out really good! One day turn around and I have my bird back, even though it was still under warranty and I paid for the repair I couldn't be happier!

Well that's all that matters is that you're happy with it. Glad you got it fixed and hopefully it will stay crack free for awhile!

Reactions: chopperguy
That's probably where one of the mounting screws is located and there's (imo) a lot of torque in that area when flying. It definitely needs addressed. You could watch a YouTube video on how to replace the shell yourself then make a decision from there. Look at the bright side,,,, you're still under warranty.
I wonder if it would be worth backing off all the mounting screws on these P4's just a tad? Perhaps they are done up too tight and when the shell heats up there's no room to expand and it cracks... Just a thought.

Well add me to the P4 stress crack club also, 30 some easy flights but this last weekend a couple of them were full stick balls out sport mode for roughly a mile and a half both ways and Poof.....Crack...So i`d have to go with the thought of aggressive posture contributed to it
stress crack.jpg

Rick

This is why I just bought a new Mavic. Hopefully it will not suffer the same fate as my P4 with all the cracks in the shell! Welcome to the crack club sir.

I agree. My next purchase at this point will likely be in the direction of the Mavic. Phantoms continue to experience stress crack issues. Tired of hearing about it and experiencing it.

Just went over to the P4P forum and seems that they are having the same problems with cracking. No more Phantoms for me!

Just went over to the P4P forum and seems that they are having the same problems with cracking. No more Phantoms for me!

With my P4 I've done the following below to try and reduce the chances of getting another crack. But, I sense the effort is a waste because I think it's just a matter of time before it happens (again).

I never store the P4 with a battery inserted. The only time a battery is inserted is when flying. After the flight I immediately remove the battery.

Changed braking setting so the P4 does not try to stop on a dime when letting off the sticks.

Purchased new prop mounts like what's on the P4P in hopes that maybe DJI discovered something in this new part vs the original. But, if the P4P community is experiencing the same cracks then there goes that theory....

Purchased a prop balancer in an attempt to lower vibrations and stress on the P4 shell. Though I can never get consistent results from the balancing process. One time a blade will show balanced then after, repositioning the balancing rod, the blade shows out of balance (or vice versa). This is another topic where I may put a video together to get feedback from the community to see if they can find something I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
Regardless of how you fly a p4 it shouldn't crack. Mines cracked around the battery compartment. You shouldn't be able to fly it beyond its capabilities. These things are most definitely plastic injection molded. I worked in that field for a while and its all got to do with quality control. We would pull samples off of each machine hourly and there could be a whole lot of product we would reject and grind. If you keep trying to recycle the rejects over and over the plastic becomes very bridle.

I don't understand all the complaints about DJI. I've sent my P3P to them 3 times over the last 1 1/2 years for 3 different reasons, and all 3 times customer service has been awesome, turnaround time quick, and no issues whatsoever. Sent it in just last week with stress fractures under one motor, they already have it quoted and are replacing the shell and sending it back in 3-6 days... cost to me? $8 total. I'm a firm believer in DJI North America's service and care.

I don't understand all the complaints about DJI. I've sent my P3P to them 3 times over the last 1 1/2 years for 3 different reasons, and all 3 times customer service has been awesome, turnaround time quick, and no issues whatsoever. Sent it in just last week with stress fractures under one motor, they already have it quoted and are replacing the shell and sending it back in 3-6 days... cost to me? $8 total. I'm a firm believer in DJI North America's service and care.

Glad to hear of the positive experiences. Just wish they'd figure out how to produce a shell less prone to cracking.

I understood them to have fixed it with the P4 and onward, but at the very least, it's less prevalent on the P4's. I'm curious how the next Phantom will address it (if we'll get another Phantom).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor