State Farm Insurance - Drone coverage

Reaction score
Can't remember where, but I read that State Farm will no longer be issuing new policies or renewing existing Drone coverage insurance policies.
Fact or Fiction? Any first hand knowledge of this?
I've had my policy for two years and plan to renew as long as I have the drone.

Can't remember where, but I read that State Farm will no longer be issuing new policies or renewing existing Drone coverage insurance policies.
Fact or Fiction? Any first hand knowledge of this?
I've had my policy for two years and plan to renew as long as I have the drone.
State Farm does not sell "Drone Insurance". It's a personal articles policy that covers cameras, computers, musical instruments, bicycles, silverware, sports equipment, etc. With so many people touting their negligence citing their Drone Insurance as a safety net, I would not be a bit surprised if they exclude drones from the covereage.

Mrs. LarBear works for one of the major carriers (not State Farm). I'll see if she has heard anything within the industry pipelines.

Reactions: DroneB and Blade4
Thanks LarBear. Would appreciate knowing what that Mrs. LarBear finds out.
Yes, on my policy form, it reads "Personal Articles Policy - FP7940.2". In my case, it covers my drone and other items related to it.

State Farm does not sell "Drone Insurance". It's a personal articles policy that covers cameras, computers, musical instruments, bicycles, silverware, sports equipment, etc. With so many people touting their negligence citing their Drone Insurance as a safety net, I would not be a bit surprised if they exclude drones from the covereage.

Mrs. LarBear works for one of the major carriers (not State Farm). I'll see if she has heard anything within the industry pipelines.

Yep. I had SF insurance. Worked well. Took some time off from flying. So dropped the insurance.

Well I have State Farm for house, cars and boats in PA. They would NOT insure my drone aerial business for liability insurance.
Not sure if that’s what you guys talking about or just whether or not they’ll pay to replace if stolen.

Best of my knowledge, they’ve never issued drone coverage for businesses, only for personal use. Just trying to find out if they have made or are planning changes for individuals.

Best of my knowledge, they’ve never issued drone coverage for businesses, only for personal use. Just trying to find out if they have made or are planning changes for individuals.

it’s funny because they themselves use drones... but they won’t insure other businesses using drones.

Hey guys… Does anybody know of any real hull coverage for drones?

They will cover it under a personal property policy - no commercial use. If you make a claim, they pay it but will not re-insure it for 18 months. This was verified a couple of months ago. I had a claim on one of my P4PV2's and they would not re-insure it after a crash. They still insure the P4 that is on the policy and I just renewed.

Reactions: Squirrel!
DroneInsurance.com has good coverage, and reasonable prices with hull coverage available with monthly policy. If I can get more steady client flow, I would switch from Verifly to DroneInsurance.com to get the hull coverage added, but right now Verifly covers my needs. If you're flying commercially, you'll have to weigh the cost of monthly/annual insurance fee compared to replacement cost of a crashed aircraft/battery/payload or potential theft of all equipment. As far as I know, State Farm still covers your drone/accessories if you are a recreational flier.

They will not. I used to have equipment insurance with them, for damage and theft as a professional cameraman, they covered all my equipment, I crashed my drone during a car cash sequence on a TV show, after showing them picots of the drone, they paid me in two days, less my $500 deductible, 3 months later when my insurance needed to be renewed, the didn't. That was two years ago.

They will cover it under a personal property policy - no commercial use. If you make a claim, they pay it but will not re-insure it for 18 months. This was verified a couple of months ago. I had a claim on one of my P4PV2's and they would not re-insure it after a crash. They still insure the P4 that is on the policy and I just renewed.
I’ve had State Farm insurance for personal articles( drone) for 2 years and renewa a 2nd time 6 weeks ago. I did have claim of $650 the first year and they paid with 3 days of filing. Never had a problem renewing.

Thanks all. Good news is I haven’t seen any normal renewal or first time coverage denial posts.

Not true - I had a policy and it was in fact specifically for a drone. It IS a type of personal protection but it is specific to drones.
My understanding is that they discontinued it. They dropped my policy when I placed a claim on my Mavic after 6 months.

Reactions: Blade4
so maybe it’s office by office if whether or not they will renew.
It's by office that they'll even issue.
I finally found an agent locally that issued the drone policies - the older agents had zero interest because they couldn't bundle it with other products.

We don't have insurance with State Farm but I was able to get a policy only for my P4 through them. My remote messed up and I haven't flown in a while so I let it expire. But before it expired they sent me an email reminding me to renew. It's been a year though.

I did have to contact a SF agent in a different city, my local SF agent wouldn't write a policy for it.

We don't have insurance with State Farm but I was able to get a policy only for my P4 through them. My remote messed up and I haven't flown in a while so I let it expire. But before it expired they sent me an email reminding me to renew. It's been a year though.

I did have to contact a SF agent in a different city, my local SF agent wouldn't write a policy for it.
Got my policy update yesterday, and they are "revising" the personal property policy so that drones will not be covered. The language is shady, and they offer a separate policy, don't know about that, but my SF poicy is "dropping" us.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers