Starter Drone for around $125

Reaction score
I have a friend interested in getting into drones but isnt willing to commit a lot of money initially. She is looking for a no frill drone with video recording capabilities. Any suggestions??

Convince her to buy P3S, it's on sale these days.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have a friend interested in getting into drones but isnt willing to commit a lot of money initially. She is looking for a no frill drone with video recording capabilities. Any suggestions??
There are a ton of cheap quads out there with video. Some are not bad and many are crap. First thing I always look for is where to get repair parts without ordering from China and waiting forever. Most cheaper quads use brushed motors that are gear driven to prop. These motors have a short life and the gear thing just adds to things to fail. One motor stops and you are dead. Brushless motors are simple and last a long time but cost more with the electronics. You need to figure out exactly what you want to do. If it's going to be a disposable trainer quad, go for cheap. There is not much worse than having a cheaper quad to constantly be buying parts for it. You can find new and used Phantoms all over the place. Don't know the budget so it's hard to recommend anything .

I could be the cheapest SOB but after owning phantoms, I'll spend the extra money.
She'll wish she spent more money and be done. That $125 drone will end up in the trash or just never being used.
I had an FC40 and it was a blast to fly and took decent video except it didn't have the stabilized gimbal. Batteries were cheap too.
If you want cheap, Syma X5C with video for 50 bucks. At least she'll get a feel for it.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
The Syma X8HV for less than $80! It's about the same size as a phantom,has altitude hold and while not the greatest camera, you can record both stills and video as well as transmit video over the birds wifi to a smart phone! It does use brush motors, so the comments by monte55 apply, but mine has flown for a few hours and all still work

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic