Spark vs Mavic Mini

Reaction score
So I went on DJI site to find a place to do side by side comparison of the Spark and the mini. Couldn't find a way to compare them on a screen. What are the big differences? They are priced similarly yet I don't know why, other than being below the weight threshhold, the mini was created.

Thanks in advance

So I went on DJI site to find a place to do side by side comparison of the Spark and the mini. Couldn't find a way to compare them on a screen. What are the big differences? They are priced similarly yet I don't know why, other than being below the weight threshhold, the mini was created.

Thanks in advance
Head over to SparkPilots and there is an ongoing discussion here.

There is also lots of discussion over at MavicPilots as well.

Chris

I saw a YT video the other night. The fella was flying it in a heavy wind to test it out... wow, it danced around a bit trying to hold it's position, but the camera was smooth as silk, from what I could tell in the PIP window.

Amazon has Spark @ $549 and adds “Newer model available” Mavic Mini @ $399. Sounds like goodbye Spark very soon. I’m getting a Mini just for fun and the price. Have my phantoms for work, dragging baits, and photography.
Capt

I have had a Spark for a number of years but if today I had a choice between Spark and mini, I would get a mini for battery life alone.

Reactions: Brojon

Thanks in advance
It was created EXACTLY for that...

Jerry

Reactions: Brojon
Amazon has Spark @ $549 and adds “Newer model available” Mavic Mini @ $399. Sounds like goodbye Spark very soon. I’m getting a Mini just for fun and the price. Have my phantoms for work, dragging baits, and photography.
Capt

The Spark was discontinued before the Mini was released. I do think the Mini was designed to be a replacement for the Spark but was hoping that the Mini took what the Spark already had and improved upon it. Instead the Mini is an upgrade in some ways (hardware) but a downgrade in others (software).

Some of the main complaints about the Mini being highlighted over at SparkPilots and MavicPilots are the lack of camera controls (no manual control for video) and some automated functions like panoramas and Active Track/Follow modes.

I use these missing features extensively so for me the Mini would be a downgrade from my Spark. Here are some examples of the automated panorama functions on the Spark.

180º Pano

View attachment Sailing Club.jpg

360º Spherical Pano
View attachment TinyPlanet Panorama 2 Fox Farm Rd-Edit.jpg

Active Track

On the Mini I realize that you can do panos manually but where I live, winter is taking hold and the temps have been below 0ºC the last few days (today it started out at -7ºC) so the automated functions make it much easier to keep my fingers warm. Hopefully DJI will release an update to the Mini firmware to add more automated functions or some third party software like Litchi will add them. Until that happens, I'll continue to use my Spark.

Chris

Reactions: Capt KO
Chris,
Had to swallow hard before hitting the buy button. This is my first Mavic and those missing functions had me a little concerned. Also hoping for updates in the future like they have done with my Phantoms. That won't add weight.

Capt

Chris,
Had to swallow hard before hitting the buy button. This is my first Mavic and those missing functions had me a little concerned. Also hoping for updates in the future like they have done with my Phantoms. That won't add weight.

Capt
If I didn’t already have a Spark I would likely get the MM. The portability is so liberating. You can literally take it anywhere.

Chris

Reactions: Capt KO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic