Southern Oregon Coast

Hello Everyone, I put this video together this morning, all filming was done yesterday.

Thought you might want to be aware of this:
"NOTICE TO PILOTS - The Islands, Rocks, and Reefs along the Pacific coastline from 42°00'N to 46°00'N are National Wildlife Refuges. Low flight may disturb wildlife resulting in a violation of Federal law.
Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface".
42 Degrees N, is the California/Oregon border. 46 Degrees North is at Tillamook, Washington.
VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Reactions: Drusha
Thought you might want to be aware of this:
"NOTICE TO PILOTS - The Islands, Rocks, and Reefs along the Pacific coastline from 42°00'N to 46°00'N are National Wildlife Refuges. Low flight may disturb wildlife resulting in a violation of Federal law.
Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface".
42 Degrees N, is the California/Oregon border. 46 Degrees North is at Tillamook, Washington.
VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Thank you for that information, however don't you think they are referring to Pilots who are flying personal, or commercial aircraft? The noise of an airplane or helicopter below their specified altitude I can definitely see being a disturbance.

Flying a UAV (drone) under legal limits is 400 ft. You can't fly up to 2,000 feet or above to satisfy this requirement without breaking much larger FAA laws. Also, no warnings or no fly zones popped up on my screen while flying there.

Thank you for that information, however don't you think they are referring to Pilots who are flying personal, or commercial aircraft? The noise of an airplane or helicopter below their specified altitude I can definitely see being a disturbance.

Flying a UAV (drone) under legal limits is 400 ft. You can't fly up to 2,000 feet or above to satisfy this requirement without breaking much larger FAA laws. Also, no warnings or no fly zones popped up on my screen while flying there.
If the FAA or US Fish and Wildlife intended to exclude UAV operations from the ruling, the FAA Sectional Chart would state that.
I will state here for probably the 20th time; FORGET your apps & screens and learn to read an FAA Sectional chart, for your own good.
I truly believe the FAA has allowed you all into the air without the requirement to learn to read a Sectional, because they wanted to give you enough rope to hang yourselves & the hobby. A lot of you are helping them do just that.

Read the fine print on any drone flight/mapping app you can get your hands on. They ALL say something to the effect of, "NOT LEGAL FOR NAVIGATION". MAY CONTAIN INACCURACIES", DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL AERONAUTICAL SOURCE, MAY NOT BE UPDATED REGULARLY OR MONITORED FOR COMPLIANCE".

Common sense would tell a pilot that if he would be in violation by exceeding 400 AGL and the Fish & Wildlife or FAA can also violate him for flying below 2000 AGL, then he cannot fly there unless, he is willing to take the punishment, if caught.
Don't get me wrong; I could not care less what you do.
I just wanted to give you the heads up,so you do not unintentionally get yourself a very stiff fine and a big hassle..

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to give you the heads up,so you do not unintentionally get yourself a very stiff fine and a big hassle..

Well thank you for the information. I was not trying to be rude. I am going to look into FAA Charts and teach myself how to interpret them. Unfortunately like myself there are a lot of us who fly recreationally aren't well educated like yourself in Aviation.

Soothing beautiful video. Shared it with my wife. Would love to be there for at least a day. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Drusha
Well thank you for the information. I was not trying to be rude. I am going to look into FAA Charts and teach myself how to interpret them. Unfortunately like myself there are a lot of us who fly recreationally aren't well educated like yourself in Aviation.
I apologize if I sounded rude or stern also. I, and all other pilots I have spoken to, are baffled by the FAA allowing drones into the sky without requiring the operators, ( I hesitate to call them pilots), to be fully aware of the vast amount of Airspace regulations that have been in place for decades.
But, back to your flying. I was not kidding or embellishing when I stated that the drone "apps", all of them, are not compliant with the FAA, and the use of one will not hold up against a certificate action, should that come to be. The FAA paper Sectional chart or an electronic facsimile of it is the only way to understand all of the airspace rules. The vfrmap.com site link I sent you is awesome. You can toggle between a Google Earth view to orient yourself and then toggle to the VFR Sectional view to check the "real" airspace particulars in your chosen area of flight. Since you are flying for recreation, you can click on any airport that is with-in (5) miles of your intended flying location and it will give you the phone numbers of the Tower, or Airport Manager. On that same page, click at the bottom on TFR's, (Temporary Flight Restrictions), to see if there are any in place near your flight. Always check for TFR's. Busting into one of them will get you in serious trouble.
I recommend buying a paper FAA Sectional from an airport, since it has the complete chart legend to assist you in deciphering it. Quickly, you will know the chart symbology by heart and be able to use vfrmap.com with confidence.

Where is Tillamook Washington? your post is saying that all of the Oregon coast is off limits. Or did you mean Tillamook Oregon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing