Source for Alum Foil Sheets for shielding

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a source for 1 or more sheets of 3M7801 Alum.TC or similar material used by members of this forum to shield EMI from the GPS receiver. In fact, I believe someone was selling a pre-cut template of Aluminum sheets for this purpose, but I can't find the source. The min size of sheets needs to be 12"x12". Ideally the sheet would be a sandwich of an adhesive layer, an aluminum layer, and a polymer of sufficient dielectric strength to prevent shorts. If I can find such material, then I will further sandwich it with copper (which is the preferred shielding material in faraday chambers).

3M has a variety of such products, but with few outlets for the quantity needed by me.

Thanks
- Tim

Lots of people have had positive experience with aluminium, but I tried aluminium twice with no joy and copper tape worked for me. It's what DJI use themselves. I would search for copper. That's my 10p. Hope it helps.... Apparently it's a better EMI shield.

thank you Vortigern and dpdpkpcom!

Indeed, I believe that copper is much better, from my experience with faraday chambers, but I have little knowledge about the specific EMI to be certain. I was planning on sandwiching both Alu and Copper together and/or doubling the thickness of the copper tape, plus other experiments. My final resort is to use an external antenna or relocating to a different location for flying. My 8 year old Garmin suggests I should be more, but I don't know how DJI filters GPS signals. I'm feel like I'm becoming an alchemist on this journey.

Consider that the foil shielding mod is not necessarily grounded, though it wouldn't matter much for the purposes of this notion: The mod is acting as a passive reflector. Signals arriving from above (from the sats) are reflected bythe mod foil back to the GPS receiver's antenna, which is how the 'gain' is derived. With this in mind, think about antennas you may have used for your broadcast tv, etc. They were most likely made from light weight aluminum. These two factors: passive reflector, and light weight, argue for aluminum in lieu of copper. If you were depending on a grounded connection, copper might have it's merits, (easily soldered, etc.), but for the intended purpose of this mod, I think aluminum is the better choice.

Given the amount of material involved, quantifying the rf signal difference between copper and aluminum would reveal that it doesn't make any significant difference, as a practical matter. You're not connecting anything to the foil; so soldering or hardware attachment isn't an issue, and the lighter weight aluminum offers the best advantage for our purposes. I successfully used, and would recommend, aluminum foil for this project.

-Dale-

According to studies done by 3M, copper is less effective in shielding EMI than aluminum. However, a tin clad copper is the most effective. They manufacture a variety of products including the tin/copper one. Its just very expensive.

Find your local friendly Aircraft Mechanic and ask him nicely for some "speedtape".

What country are you in ?
If in Australia I can send you what I used... its this weather shielding stuff.. bought from hrdwre store. One side is aluminum the other is sticky padding.

In the UK the kitchen worktop section in BnQ has self adhesive sheets used to protect the underside of worktops from heat and steam above ovens and washing mashines.

Edit. Just had a google. 8 quid for 1m x 230mm.

This is the foil shields I make with adhesive backed foil and a protective surface covering. It works quite well for me. Have done an indoor test with maximum of 4 satellites and 7 satellites after the install along with putting the gps cable under the original protector.

RB

Attachments

• shield for web.jpg
    shield for web.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 535
I ve notice that the Gps reception of the phantom 2 generally is poor... while in the sky there are some times 12 sats , i only pick up 7 .. why??
Ok ive read a lot of discussions about it , and i try several things , alouminioum tapes copper tapes nothing..
i found the

3M™ Fabric Tape CN-3190 Nickel on Copper-Plated Polyester Fabric

so i order it from my local electronic store...
outstanding quality, i wrap my phone with it and i lost wifi

is conductive , even the adhesive , so i insulate the gps ,then i add the 3m sticker , and i insulated again with normal tape

No more poor Sat reception :p

showatt.php

showatt.php

showatt.php

showatt.php

showatt.php

showatt.php

RedBaron said:
This is the foil shields I make with adhesive backed foil and a protective surface covering. It works quite well for me. Have done an indoor test with maximum of 4 satellites and 7 satellites after the install along with putting the gps cable under the original protector.

RB
Anyone have any pics and reviews of this installed ?

RedBaron said:

RB
Where can I buy this??

ron329 said:
RedBaron said:

RB
Where can I buy this??

Check out http://dakotawings.weebly.com and look at the Satellite Shield page.

RB

ron329 said:
RedBaron said:

RB
Where can I buy this??

Check out website in my signature.

RB

Mori55 said:
RedBaron said:

RB
Anyone have any pics and reviews of this installed ?

Installation pics can be found at website in my signature.

RB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.