Sony new drone

It's interesting Sony announces Airpeak before they have the ability to show anything, saying the design project STARTS in Spring 2021, admitting they don't have the talent to do the design by themselves. This announcement appears to be soliciting for engineers with drone design talent. For a company like Sony, with such vast electronic design resources to solicit engineers is a testament to the complexity of DJI's drones. Sony realizes the design task is beyond their internal capability.

" The company soon plans to begin seeking for the partners in the professional space who can collaborate on the project"

I can just imagine management at DJI laughing out loud, making fun of this statement, Sony looking around for partners to learn how to make drones.

Given that Sony is apparently working from scratch, I wouldn't expect a drone from Sony that comes close to DJI drones for at least 3 or 4yrs. But I truly endorse the effort to compete in this market. I hope they are successful. I hope they know the secret to market viability is long range communications, using something similar to OcuSync. NOT WIFI!

Off subject, I'm wondering if DJI had a custom circuit made for OcuSync to reduce the weight. Including OcuSync communications in Mini2 is pretty impressive, keeping the craft weight under 250G. If they did consolidate things and make a custom IC for that, it puts DJI way ahead IMO. OcuSync is truly the secret sauce that sets them apart from everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: chazzm
Sony isn't where they are because they didn't do their homework. They see $$ signs to be made. Sony is big, sure they have good engineers. If you're to venture into something new, get the best material available. Why not jump start with people versed in drones. Maybe some DJI people. That's a money and time saver. The more the merrier.

I know some have,mayby it look like this...or cheap version in second pic
Cant wait lol

Attachments

• 20201114_192824.jpg
    20201114_192824.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 20201114_192854.jpg
    20201114_192854.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: WV. Rootman
Maybe some DJI people.
We have to remember China is a communist country. China censors thousand of things a day on the Internet all the time, and this Sony solicitation for engineers will surely be censored. Even if a DJI engineer found out about the opportunity, he would have to communicate with Sony to apply, which would be monitored, and the engineer would quickly be tattooed for "risking the security of the China" by disclosing technology. He would be deemed a traitor, and possibly jailed, like so many others. It would be very dangerous for a DJI engineer to consider leaving China and working in Japan, putting his family at risk. The CCP would take out revenge on his family for leaving China. CCP monitors all emails from China, they have ways to monitor everyone of importance, and engineers fall into that category. If and engineer tried to leave China, he would need a passport, and people only get passports in China when there's a good verifiable reason to travel. I think it would a cold day in (Mod Removed Language)before Sony could hire someone from DJI, IMHO. Not to mention the Japanese despise the Chinese.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting Sony announces Airpeak before they have the ability to show anything, saying the design project STARTS in Spring 2021, admitting they don't have the talent to do the design by themselves. This announcement appears to be soliciting for engineers with drone design talent. For a company like Sony, with such vast electronic design resources to solicit engineers is a testament to the complexity of DJI's drones. Sony realizes the design task is beyond their internal capability.

" The company soon plans to begin seeking for the partners in the professional space who can collaborate on the project"

I can just imagine management at DJI laughing out loud, making fun of this statement, Sony looking around for partners to learn how to make drones.

Given that Sony is apparently working from scratch, I wouldn't expect a drone from Sony that comes close to DJI drones for at least 3 or 4yrs. But I truly endorse the effort to compete in this market. I hope they are successful. I hope they know the secret to market viability is long range communications, using something similar to OcuSync. NOT WIFI!

Off subject, I'm wondering if DJI had a custom circuit made for OcuSync to reduce the weight. Including OcuSync communications in Mini2 is pretty impressive, keeping the craft weight under 250G. If they did consolidate things and make a custom IC for that, it puts DJI way ahead IMO. OcuSync is truly the secret sauce that sets them apart from everyone else.

John, you sure have some strong opinions about how things work, though most of them are incorrect. Sony is a Japanese company, not Chinese. Sony doesn't need ex-engineers from DJI. They have their own. Every company that makes a technical product has an approved and tested supply chain (many of which are ISO 9000 or AS 9600 quality certified (as my company was), smart investors, and consultants that contribute to the final outcome. I've worked in high tech manufacturing all my life and owned a couple of companies. Thats how it works. It's normal and right. It doesn't indicate a weakness. It is a management directive and proper planning strength. DJI will not be laughing. Sony is not 'admitting' anything or sending out a cryptic call for talent. Where do you come up with this stuff? DJI surely has their own supply chain firmly in place. Why do you think the Phantom 4 Pro v2 was out of production for so many months early last year? Because they had problems getting parts from suppliers. They resolved those issues and got production back up and running. Since this whole Sony topic has no merit at this time, when it does you can bet they will produce a quality product.

John, you sure have some strong opinions about how things work, though most of them are incorrect. Sony is a Japanese company, not Chinese. Sony doesn't need ex-engineers from DJI. They have their own. Every company that makes a technical product has an approved and tested supply chain (many of which are ISO 9000 or AS 9600 quality certified (as my company was), smart investors, and consultants that contribute to the final outcome. I've worked in high tech manufacturing all my life and owned a couple of companies. Thats how it works. It's normal and right. It doesn't indicate a weakness. It is a management directive and proper planning strength. DJI will not be laughing. Sony is not 'admitting' anything or sending out a cryptic call for talent. Where do you come up with this stuff? DJI surely has their own supply chain firmly in place. Why do you think the Phantom 4 Pro v2 was out of production for so many months early last year? Because they had problems getting parts from suppliers. They resolved those issues and got production back up and running. Since this whole Sony topic has no merit at this time, when it does you can bet they will produce a quality product.
@JeffreyS, I think you should read my post again. You may have misread it. I was replying to Rootman's notion that Sony, a Japanese company, could hire DJI engineers, which is a Chinese company. My post was pointing out that IMO, that would never happen, for the reasons I listed. We Americans have no idea how much control the CCP has on their people through intimidation and media control. We live in our own little bubble here and assume the Chinese society is similar to ours, and it's not. I too come from the high tech industry. I sold Taiwan manufactured computer products that were used in China, even traveled to Wuxi and Shenzhen. I'm very familiar with their tactics and shipping extorsion. If you don't think Sony's soliciting for engineers, I'm not sure what to say. Seems obvious in their announcement.... " The company soon plans to begin seeking for the partners in the professional space who can collaborate on the project" But I can guarantee no DJI engineers would ever consider working for Sony, that was my point.

Sony just announced this at CES and Google shows a lot of reviews
It looks like a serious, quality drone, but it's for Hollywood rather than consumers/prosumers.
Much too big, heavy and expensive and won't have any effect on the consumer drone market.
It's very different from the selfie drone that was being talked about a week ago.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31