Sony action cam. Unbalanced props=no jello

Reaction score
This is my first test with the Sony action cam in my Phantom. Really it was my first day flying the quadc and the video was my third fly ever. I haven´t balance the props, but I used anty-jello mount. I was expecting the famous jello effect, but I can´t see here :geek: I don´t know if is a problem in my eyes and you can see this effect or may be jello is a problem only of go pro cameras...
Can you see this jello in my video?

No stabilitation in post-produccion (raw footage just optimiced for YouTube in FCP) nor steady-shot enable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... EBlYGi5Rf4

fotorojas said:
This is my first test with the Sony action cam in my Phantom. Really it was my first day flying the quadc and the video was my third fly ever. I haven´t balance the props, but I used anty-jello mount. I was expecting the famous jello effect, but I can´t see here :geek: I don´t know if is a problem in my eyes and you can see this effect or may be jello is a problem only of go pro cameras...
Can you see this jello in my video?

No stabilitation in post-produccion (raw footage just optimiced for YouTube in FCP) nor steady-shot enable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... EBlYGi5Rf4

Your video appears as private.... no one can watch it :cry: but take a look around light environment while you shot videos. Jello effect appears in sunlight environment, so if you took your video while sunny day and no jello, you got it, otherwise, must try again on clear sunny day, before say Eureka ! :mrgreen:

Sorry! now it is public :oops:
Hi jumanoc I´m little sunburned today after flying the phantom ;) as you can see in the video a it was Spanish original sunny day.
But, please are we talking about the same distortion? I have seen plenty of jello videos on cloudy days...

fotorojas said:
Sorry! now it is public :oops:
Hi jumanoc I´m little sunburned today after flying the phantom ;) as you can see in the video a it was Spanish original sunny day.
But, please are we talking about the same distortion? I have seen plenty of jello videos on cloudy days...

Vibration also produces a lot of jello, not only sunny day. I said better No Jello proof is take the video on sunny day taking objects with direct sun on them. Weight helps to reduce jello. As heavier the cam and case, as less jello effect. (but more power to lift, then shorter flight time :twisted: )
This is a sample:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_x4Tw-S1K0[/youtube]

Looks pretty good!
was the video shot at 50 or 60fps?

you might have been fortunate, and your props might have been fairly well balanced to begin with, but looks like you're off to a good start, and perhaps that camera is indeed more jello-free than GoPro's!

the next test might be to se how it does in wind, while you're flying the Phantom up and moving around (not just going up and rotating)

I am running the sony cam and I can tell you it experiences the jello effect for certain. Your video looks solid. I don't notice any of the effect.

Here is massive shake before I got it all worked out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvIiUOzn6vw

Gizmo3000 said:
Looks pretty good!
was the video shot at 50 or 60fps?

you might have been fortunate, and your props might have been fairly well balanced to begin with, but looks like you're off to a good start, and perhaps that camera is indeed more jello-free than GoPro's!

the next test might be to se how it does in wind, while you're flying the Phantom up and moving around (not just going up and rotating)

My settings:
1080 / 60 fps and then down to 30 fps. Props balanced with DuBro. (stock props work great but also use zingers 8x5 balanced too). tppacks.com Antivibration Mount with double isolator grommets.
TIP: do slow sticks moves, avoid windy shots and use MoonGel into waterproof case fro Hero3. Ah... and more weight gives better "jello free", but also little shorten flight time ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl