Attachments

• 23000148_10213362273227565_5076262389811020222_o.jpg
    23000148_10213362273227565_5076262389811020222_o.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 409
Photo of the sun going down behind the clouds
Great shot!!!

Do you live in Sonoma???

I am down in Marin.

I had a job up in Calistoga a few days before the fires broke out. I am kind of concerned about what is left in the area I photographed.

Great shot!!!

Do you live in Sonoma???

I am down in Marin.

I had a job up in Calistoga a few days before the fires broke out. I am kind of concerned about what is left in the area I photographed.

Yea man, I live out in west Sonoma county. Sorry to hear about your job. So much loss. People keep asking me why I haven't filmed the burnt areas, but the one time I went to do so there was people sifting through the ashes of their homes and I felt like I was intruding.

How long you been droning? What are you mainly flying these days?

I have been at it for about 6 months and use the p4pro

Hi there, RB:

You say west Sonoma county so are you out by Sebastapol or the coast?

Good thing you DIDN'T fly out in the burned out areas because there is a Temporary Flight Restriction in place for much of the area.

I had an insurance agency from New Jersey call me asking to go out and take video of the fires AS THEY WERE STILL BURNING. I guess they are trying to line up for a class action lawsuit against whomever is responsible. I kept telling them that I COULDN'T fly there because of the TFR's and they seemed to not care.

Kind of ironic that a company who is trying to figure out who is responsible for the fires doesn't care if what they want would hamper the efforts of those putting out the fires.

For real. I saw some drone videos taken illegally, and I saw in the news a guys got arrested for blocking air traffic at the Petaluma airport. People like that are going to be the ones who cause more regulations to be brought down on us.

I am in guerneville. Plenty of beautiful scenery to film in the surrounding areas. River, ocean, redwoods.

Didn't hear about the guys getting arrested, but if they were blocking traffic at Petaluma airport, I am glad they got caught.

The difficult thing for us in Northern California is that there are very few places to fly. State Parks are off limits in the Bay Area, as are the National Parks and the numerous preserves.

I have my 107 and aside from one or two small areas down here, I can only fly when on a job.

I was told by a state parks employee that I could fly my drone. I federal parks are illegal to fly. Also Sonoma county regional parks are illegal to fly. Actually not illegal to fly in or over, but illegal to stand in while you do so.

Reactions: Just Mark
I was told by a state parks employee that I could fly my drone. I federal parks are illegal to fly. Also Sonoma county regional parks are illegal to fly. Actually not illegal to fly in or over, but illegal to stand in while you do so.
Hmmm... well most STATE parks in the Bay Area Distric are illegal to stand in when flying, same as Sonoma County parks (Regional Parks). If you have a friend who lives near by a park and they give you permission, then yes, you can fly over your regional park (or state park).

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/519/files/BAD_PO_Model_Aircraft__UAS_Glider_Use.pdf

But if the local rangers in the state parks in sonoma are not enforcing this then you are lucky.

Hmmm... well most STATE parks in the Bay Area Distric are illegal to stand in when flying, same as Sonoma County parks (Regional Parks). If you have a friend who lives near by a park and they give you permission, then yes, you can fly over your regional park (or state park).

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/519/files/BAD_PO_Model_Aircraft__UAS_Glider_Use.pdf

But if the local rangers in the state parks in sonoma are not enforcing this then you are lucky.

so if I stand outside of the park, thats ok? for example park on any random parking lot outside of the parks and I should be ok to fly it? thanks! I am just kinda new at this so "scared to cause issues" still

Reactions: Just Mark
so if I stand outside of the park, thats ok? for example park on any random parking lot outside of the parks and I should be ok to fly it? thanks! I am just kinda new at this so "scared to cause issues" still
Well... maybe.

I don't know what the City ordinances are exactly for each city / County.

Maybe in Santa Rosa (for example) they will allow you to operate in the City on public property.

Most places (as far as I know) you can operate on private property with permission of the owner.

Of course, there are a few airports in Sonoma Count that have controlled airspace around them.

For instance, Charles Schultz airport is class D with Class E Surface Extensions.

Sooo... to make sure you are ok, you should:

1) Check with the park authorities (regional / county, city, or state) and see if they allow you to operate within the park. If yes, then you can fly in the park

2) If they say no, then check with the city (if you are in a city) or with the county (if unincorporated area) to see if you can operate on public land, like a street next to the park.

3) If they say no, see if you can operate from private property (with permission of the owner) somewhere close to the park

4) Be aware of / obey all FAA rules.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl