Soldering newbie ...what to get?

Reaction score
Hi all. Got a P2 with Zenmuse, iOSD mini, FPV stuff and will have to do some soldering. What equipment do you recommend for soldering? Thanks!

Get a nice Weller TCP off of ebay with some 7 or 8 degree tips, those are the best soldering irons IMHO. Other than that there are a plethora of good soldering tutorials out there (on youtube) just do a search.

Remember, you need a soldering iron holder - a wet sponge and a solder fume extractor or a VERY well ventilated area.

Wait for the iron to heat up (with a Weller that is ~1min, others may take much longer), touch the iron on a tiny bit of solder so that the tip has a little blob on it, then wipe the iron tip on the wet sponge so that it s shiny.

The put the iron on whatever you want to solder, a wire for example.

Wait for the metal to get hot enough so that you can touch the solder on the OTHER SIDE of the wire and it still melts. You want the solder to be absorbed by capillary action into the wire.

Oh and above all else pronounce solder with the 'L' please! :mrgreen:

What part of the world are you from, if in the UK I get my part's from Maplin's, they have a good range of soldering irons. The one I use is the" Soldering Station", this has a variable heat adjuster, not all wire's can take the same temp' motor lead wire need's less heat than servo wire' for pugl's' if the iron is to hot can melt the plastic. Hope this give's you a bit of an in site into soldering, just take your time and get a couple of changeable tip's.

I just went to RadioShack and picked up the cheapest one I found with a fairly bit tip. I'm not the best at soldering, so I like to really tin the tip to splash it on. I only mention it because my 1.1.1 board did not appear precision soldered - all of the points had huge gobs (larger than mine) to lock down the points. So, it's not like i'm putting a cap on a PS2/3 or a motherboard.

Now, to the comment of fume suckers.. most solder is RSoP these days (lead free). I've used the lead stuff as well and never worried too much about it - it's not like i'm using it daily, weekly or even monthly... but it never hurts to solder in the garage or outside.

I'm sure smoking a single cigarette, or cigar, has more affects on your lungs (with all of the chemicals in them) then a single soldering sitting... but to each their own.

duijver said:
I just went to RadioShack and picked up the cheapest one I found with a fairly bit tip. I'm not the best at soldering, so I like to really tin the tip to splash it on. I only mention it because my 1.1.1 board did not appear precision soldered - all of the points had huge gobs (larger than mine) to lock down the points. So, it's not like i'm putting a cap on a PS2/3 or a motherboard.

Now, to the comment of fume suckers.. most solder is RSoP these days (lead free). I've used the lead stuff as well and never worried too much about it - it's not like i'm using it daily, weekly or even monthly... but it never hurts to solder in the garage or outside.

I'm sure smoking a single cigarette, or cigar, has more affects on your lungs (with all of the chemicals in them) then a single soldering sitting... but to each their own.

The first thing I was taught when I was doing a soldering course, DO NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES WHILE SOLDERING OR NEARBY! The fumes when mixed with the chemicals in a smoke create Mustard gas, which is Fatal to humans.

Now this I'm not 100% sure of, but I think the smoke from the solder actually comes from the Flux, not the metals. So a lead free solder could still kill you :)

Driffill said:
duijver said:

The first thing I was taught when I was doing a soldering course, DO NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES WHILE SOLDERING OR NEARBY! The fumes when mixed with the chemicals in a smoke create Mustard gas, which is Fatal to humans.

Now this I'm not 100% sure of, but I think the smoke from the solder actually comes from the Flux, not the metals. So a lead free solder could still kill you :)

Here's some good material on that: http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotfor ... 5#msg42285

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie