Solar Flare Bad today- M Class

Reaction score
http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html

M Class..messing up magnetic fields....just curious I rarely take the time to look at this but this seems abnormal....How bad will this affect flying. Im not going to to be safe but wonder what the general experience is......

Reaction score
I don't bother paying attention to K index or any solar activity anymore as I've yet to read any evidence a phantom has been taken down by it. Better things to worry about tbh

dirkclod

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Has never affected me and I fly a lot . Not saying it won't just saying I don't pay that no mind .
Flew this morning and had no issues with locking on with 11 sats solid the whole battery .
Some say it does but I have just never noticed any difference where I'm at !

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
K index would have to be above 7 to be even noticeable and even then it would be negligible. If you fly in a DGPS area, you won't even notice a 7.

dirkclod

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
K index would have to be above 7 to be even noticeable and even then it would be negligible. If you fly in a DGPS area, you won't even notice a 7.
Yea...that's where I must be ! :) Ahaaa ianwood , what's DGPS stand for :confused:

Reaction score
I don't bother paying attention to K index or any solar activity anymore as I've yet to read any evidence a phantom has been taken down by it. Better things to worry about tbh
+1 This is the most over hyped danger to Phantoms. I have flown in the last 8Kp and there was no difference whatsoever. No hold deviation at all. Over the last year I have been watching on these higher than '3' days and again absolutely no difference in flight characteristics. Our Phantoms seem to cope well.

Reactions: dirkclod

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
Differential. It is a series of ground stations that broadcast the local atmospheric drift. It makes GPS much more accurate.

Reactions: dirkclod

dirkclod

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Thank You Sir :) I see by that I am close to two so maybe that why I have never had any issues !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwmulcahey