Social media advice

Reaction score
I have always struggled with the social media/sharing side of photography.

Came across a decent looking article today and thought it is worth a share.

How To Promote Your Photography Instagram in 4 Easy Ways

I have started implementing some of the detail in here but its to soon to show any results. Would be interested in seeing what other people thought. Do you follow any of the information in here already? I am honestly willing to try most things to improve my profile and social media reach.

I have never been one to be all in on social media...my wife does enough for both us but now that I am doing a lot more photography I am finding myself way behind the learning curve and trying hard to catch up

Reactions: MTO
I stopped using social media a few years ago. Instascam really PMO when they said they were going to use your images for anything they want to with no credit to you or concern over copyright. I just don't like FB at all. They have such elaborate tracking schemes and they are just noise and a waste of time, IMO. Twitter I don't care for either. I might have it all wrong, like I've read, you're supposed to go where the people are.

IMHO Social Media is a necessary evil especially when you're "building" a brand. We used it a lot more early on than we do now. I still post on those platforms mentioned above just enough to stay "active" but I no longer rely on it to generate revenue/leads. I found too many people looking for Pro level work for Bargain Bin prices.

I've never had much of a use for Twitter so I don't use that platform at all.

Yeah, I've been mulling it over, just for the business sake. Not sure what I'll do just yet. I'm still planning and learning. Not yet ready to launch.

If I were to venture a guestimate I would say over the last 7 years (total) I've gotten less than 5% of my revenue from any Social Media activity. One key thing is to always point to/mention your company website in every single post. This way they know how to get in touch with you in a more grounded and professional way than Social Media.

Early on we used it more and had good success but since 2016 (with the opening up of Part 107) everyone and their cousin is a Drone Pro on Social Media. So I just let them have at it and spend my time investing in other areas to generate business.

Now for the IRONY of my above comments.... just this morning I landed (3) new projects because someone posted on Social Media needing professional drone images and a friend of mine "Tagged" me. I reached out to the original poster and secured all (3) of them with one Facebook Messenger session LOL! We did have to move over to the phone to finalize the deal but it was 100% due to Social Media.

I use Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, and my custom website to build my brand. I haven't gotten any work yet but I'm growing fast, and I'll just keep at it because if I keep working and don't quit I know I will be successful in a few years! Until then I won't quit my day job though! [emoji16]
I have always struggled with the social media/sharing side of photography.

Came across a decent looking article today and thought it is worth a share.

How To Promote Your Photography Instagram in 4 Easy Ways

I have started implementing some of the detail in here but its to soon to show any results. Would be interested in seeing what other people thought. Do you follow any of the information in here already? I am honestly willing to try most things to improve my profile and social media reach.

Reactions: BitGid and MTO
I do not use Instagram much and have really not considered it to be something I want to pursue, and I do not consider it a form of portfolio or a promotion for my own photography but years ago I did a quick experiment with hashtags, and I found that hashtags gave me 10 to 20 times more likes than photos which were not tagged.
I "promote" myself is through my personal webpage and Facebook account, which is all mixed up with personal Facebook updates as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello bakerhig, your advice is both simple and profound. Social media is indeed a dynamic space, and finding what works best for your unique style is a journey worth embarking on. Capturing those incredible moments not only adds authenticity to your profile but also connects with your audience on a deeper level.
In the quest for engagement and growth, it's essential to explore various strategies. If you're looking to boost your interaction on social media, you might consider checking out services like cheap Instagram comments. They can help spark conversations and elevate the impact of your posts.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj