so who still loves there dji phantom 2

So in a nut shell, speaking as a novice.. does the Red Bird increase repeater range when connected ?

Dirkclod, why 5 Phantoms, do they all look different or are they all spares ?

Redbird can increase range, sure, but you have to do a little work to set it up.

My understanding is, the Redbird system allows the Phantom 2 series quad (including the P3S) to do things that other quads can't do because it grabs the original signal and then throws it out to places where the first signal can't reach. See his videos on his site. In one example, he controls his drone from inside his car because the repeater is mounted on the roof of the car, so the signal is coming from the roof of the car, not from the controller directly (where the signal would be blocked by the steel of the car's body). In another example, he is flying his Phantom down below and on the other side of a dam that is completely out of LOS, but it works because the repeater is on top of the dam and can "see" both sides of the dam. A third example which isn't in video is to put a repeater on an extra drone and have it hover up high. Then fly your Phantom and you have the advantage of a nice high control or wifi signal which will maximize distance and see over trees and things you wouldn't see over from your spot.

Another example I'll make up. Let's say you live on some property with rolling hills or small trees. You could put a repeater on your roof/chimney, and then sit comfortably in a chair in your yard and fly all around nice and low with no worries of a disconnect.

It's certainly clever and certainly cool, but I'm not sure of the practical uses since you have to manually place your repeater(s) strategically somewhere which may not be convenient. Also, compare it to the Flytrex Sky with the Pilot App. My understanding is, that system will fly anywhere as well - without the need of a repeater because it uses a cellular connection rather than an RC connection. It is truly a range-free system with its only limitation being the battery. But that gets complicated because it doesn't include FPV in the cellular system. Of course, either way, you're violating FAA guidelines since you're flying out of LOS.

Hello Karin
( @dirkclod ) has 2 phantoms, ( MIA3 ( p2v ) , and Dixie ( P3s ).

I have the 5,
Lol, I bought the ORANGE one new, that was #1, it is tricked out, then I had a bunch of spare parts I accumulated over a years time, bought a few items I was missing, to complete a build ( #2 blue ) , then I bought a wrecked phantom for cheap, rebuilt it ( Black #3 ) then I had a bunch of spare parts again, so I bought another totaled one ( crashed hard ) rebuilt it ( #4 lime green ) and lastly I was looking for a new project, and one of our friends here, gave me a great deal on a p2v moth motor issue ( I believe a bad bearing ) I changed them, and have not had any issues so far. Was not looking to have 5 p2v's, just kinda happened that way. I fly the orange and blue ones, my son flies new one, guess black and green are spares, but do fly them just not much!
I might convert one to a plus soon?
Getting bored again!
Did clean my work area today:
image.jpeg

Cleanest I ever seen it!
Had the day off ( sick 2yr old ) so I stayed busy!

I like it clean! Just never seems to want to stay that way:rolleyes:

Sup Dirk!
How's our co pilot?

Take care,
Fly SAFE!
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
Lol,
I'm firmware ( 3.08, 3.12, 3.14 ). Would love to 3.06, again! Used to be able to downgrade USING BACK DOOR, test " 125 ", they blocked it on 3.08 and up, but I don't have the original PC assistant for 3.06, or a copy of the firmware! But 3.08 is not bad, still have freedom from no fly zones, rapid decent, ect.

ONLY 5 ( lol ) did not want y'all to think I was a snob with 6! :cool:
( muhahahaaaaaa )

I wanted to do a collection of crafts all different, but look what happened!
All p2v non pluses! Each unique, in their own way, but all sporting goodies!

If the worst happens the P2v non plus is a tough customer, they hold up well in minor incidents, gimbals are pretty tough, unlike its counterpart, you sneeze wrong, and you got a bent or broken gimbal!
The p4 gimbal seems more BEEFED UP, but I still like the P2v! You can mod the crap out of them, or leave them stock, tons of options, newer models, not so much! And freedoms are limited! I do like them ALL, trust me, just not ready to make the crossover yet! Plus my wallet has been on this crash diet, and lost a bunch of weight, so too narrow to do anything with now, but she'll eat good again soon! Tonight ramen noodle, tomorrow the WORLD!

J Dot

Whats the backdoor 125 test do??

Whats the backdoor 125 test do??

Used to allow you to downgrade firmware to an earlier version, but since no fly zones introduced, they changed administrator numbers. Test still works, but password is now incorrect, I've tried several hundred combinations, no avail! Plus not sure if it is still 3 numbers or more, but either way no longer works.

J Dot

You guys know i fly em all p2 fatshark, p2 zemuse gopro, vision plus(es) p3's , j dot hooked me up w/ the camera for my vision build recently , the thing I've always loved bout the vision's ive had is U CAN CRASH THE **** THING!
All the other model you autoland wrong and its a $200 flight[emoji41]

Used to allow you to downgrade firmware to an earlier version, but since no fly zones introduced, they changed administrator numbers. Test still works, but password is now incorrect, I've tried several hundred combinations, no avail! Plus not sure if it is still 3 numbers or more, but either way no longer works.

J Dot
Ah ok cool thanks

Btw in 3.06 it still has very slow descent.

I msde a thread about this, but you folks seem pretty cluey... so im using 3.06 as I said and I desperately need some new batteries...i assumd they will need to be software upgraded like originals?? Im worried if I plug the phantom into assistant on PC it will do the forced naza update from 3.06 to whateverit is now... i had two ideas...
1) disconnect net...plug in phantom..wait a while and hopefully it will timeout on forced upgrade and allow me to do battery update...dont think it will work though : (

2) put the batteries in someone elses phantom whos already updated to newest, then just hsvd them update the batteries...but if thry hsve 3.14 for eg..I hope there arent multiple battery upgrades and it upgrades my battery for a 3.14 system; however I suspect thsts unlikely becshse As far as I know therr id just one battery update, but I may be wrong.

Whst woukd you folks do in this situstion? Wordt case i could just update the entire phantom. I dont really care about NFZ limkts. I am judt really happy with how its currently operating and dont wsnt to changd anything..??

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
I would keep 3.06,
Wish I could find a naza with it still on there! That is what my p2v originally was, but when I first hooked it to assistant it auto upgraded ( or o did something wrong ) but went to 3.08, which was still ok. If you buy newest version batteries, they should arrive with newest firmware installed. Plus look up phantom angel ( the update was auto discharge I believe ) but personally I would stay, I bet that ba a with 3.06 on it would bring s pretty penny on eBay! Lol

J Dot

Ok, all I have on my P2V is the shielding and a pair of external WiFi antenna, any suggestions on something else I can mount on it, to increase distance even more, without compromising load.
Already doing plenty to the controller, been told boosting both signals may cause a signal drop out, so just boosting the 5.8 at the moment.
So would like to increase the drones ability to pick up a weak signal.
Does the drone have a module inside it, that I can connect some external antenna to, like the WiFi antennas ?

Have a p2v+ and love it. Haven't been able to take it out much due to winter still holding on here in Wisconsin. I am curious since the 2's are end of life with DJI and we will not get anymore updates, will the p3 and p4 crowd come back to p2 because of the no fly zones and limitations those birds will have? Just my thoughs.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Is there any way to override the height limitations on the Phantom Vision 2, getting a little bummed out not being able to go any higher.
Sometimes I have to turn around simply due to hills and trees rising higher than my position.

Have you changed your settings in assistant? You can set your limitations there. I've not tried with 3.14, but with 3.12 I have gone nearly 600' no issues ( trying to video early morning ( space-x ) launch from Kennedy space center. But failed! Bummer. But not sure about newest firmware yet?

J Dot

Ok, all I have on my P2V is the shielding and a pair of external WiFi antenna, any suggestions on something else I can mount on it, to increase distance even more, without compromising load.
Already doing plenty to the controller, been told boosting both signals may cause a signal drop out, so just boosting the 5.8 at the moment.
So would like to increase the drones ability to pick up a weak signal.
Does the drone have a module inside it, that I can connect some external antenna to, like the WiFi antennas ?

Hello,
On the P2v, you can mod the 5.8ghz receiver antennas ( 2 of them ) for radio distance, and you can also mod the camera egg antennas ( 2 of them ) for FPV distance ( YouTube videos on this ).
Then on the Tx you can do the 5.8ghz transmitter antenna ( only 1 )
Then you can mod the extender 2.4ghz FPV antennas ( 2 of them )
Then by fooling around with different antenna setups for best distance! @dirkclod could better tell you about distance, as he has flown crazy distances before!

I would recommend 3 items to add to any craft:
1) Flytrex ( any ) live is newest, but I use flytrex 2 cores on mine! With external tracker ( tk102b )
2) 4mm GPS ceramic antenna upgrade ( wont give more satelites but you'll get better, stronger, faster lock ( I even get lock indoors now )
3) GPS BOOSTER insert ( on eBay ) a clip in RF interferance blocker! This will give you more satelites ( I went from 8-9 sats to 11-14 now. )
But that is my setups, and all my phantom see the same statistics!

Then
If you have the squid, I'd recommend a set of BOCA bearings in those motors,
Here is a short video I did with DJI bearings first then BOCA lightening bearings:

Other than those items mine are all cosmetic!

Take care, fly safe!
J Dot

Think I recognize one of them ;)

LOL,
You might be right, you spotted MIA3, see I knew you were gonna fly all the way here, **** you and your long distances! Does it have teleportation? Or just a anti-gravity device? I bet you installed those new hydrogen cells, didn't you! Gonna blow yourself up one day! If I don't beat you to it :rolleyes:

Take care, send our co-pilot, our BEST!
Fly safe!
J Dot

Will look into the ceramic antenna upgrade, I have the IT Elite panel antenna, that upgrades both 5.8 & 2.4 in one unit already.
Sounds great, invaluable advice there, been thinking about Fly trex for a while now.

IT Elite panel Antenna

Attachments

• 1460106245787.jpg
    1460106245787.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 290

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member