So what's the deal with the camera?

Let's all dial it back a notch here.

He put a link in post So what's the deal with the camera?

Look for Casey N's video who showed incorrect assumptions on the image.
I'm actually referring to the Digital Rev video, not Casey's.
In that video, they zoom in to the images and show that the image from the Mavic is MUCH softer than the P4.
They have never recanted that, or shown anything different.
And so far none of the other existing videos have shown that the Mavic isn't softer than the P4, either.
Lets get it going on!

And so far none of the other existing videos have shown that the Mavic isn't softer than the P4, either.
Let me ask you something: So what if it is? If it's a notch softer than the P4, is it suddenly terrible for a device that folds up to a quarter of the Phantom's footprint? What's your actual goal here?

Let me ask you something: So what if it is? If it's a notch softer than the P4, is it suddenly terrible for a device that folds up to a quarter of the Phantom's footprint? What's your actual goal here?
I don't recall saying that.
What if, however, Image Quality is your primary concern, and want to get the best image possible?
What if size and coolness aren't your primary concern?
Would you want to know which of the similar priced models had the best image?
My goal is the highest Image Quality.
Whats yours?

Reactions: wattage
My goal is the highest Image Quality.
Whats yours?
To help everyone collectively get over this e-peen measuring contest.

If image quality is your true concern, get an Inspire 1. They're cheap now.

To quote what I wrote in another thread:

For what it's worth, I have come to the conclusion that the Mavic is softer than the P4. This has been echoed by every (competent) person who has had hands-on time with the Mavic. However, this is a trivial point, because many of the people who do high-end (or even casual, like myself) media work from P4s turn down the sharpness in the camera settings, so now it's just one less setup step to do. And if you decide you want the extra sharpness, at least two folks I've seen have stated no issues running a post-process filter that makes the resulting quality pretty equal.

So the question people have to ask themselves (and themselves alone) is whether the tradeoff between form factor and maximum out-of-camera image potential is worthwhile. For many people I have come to respect, their answer is yes. I'm a hobbyist and I'm not trying to win any awards, so having something I can carry with me at almost all times is mind-blowing.

Nitpicking between the P4 vs Mavic has run its course at this point. If you have reservations about the Mavic, or have specific needs/desires about consistent and known quality, buy a P4. Even DJI even states in their FAQ (via the Go app) that the P4 is better suited for landscape photography, for instance.

To help everyone collectively get over this e-peen measuring contest.

If image quality is your true concern, get an Inspire 1. They're cheap now.

To quote what I wrote in another thread:

For what it's worth, I have come to the conclusion that the Mavic is softer than the P4. This has been echoed by every (competent) person who has had hands-on time with the Mavic. However, this is a trivial point, because many of the people who do high-end (or even casual, like myself) media work from P4s turn down the sharpness in the camera settings, so now it's just one less setup step to do. And if you decide you want the extra sharpness, at least two folks I've seen have stated no issues running a post-process filter that makes the resulting quality pretty equal.

So the question people have to ask themselves (and themselves alone) is whether the tradeoff between form factor and maximum out-of-camera image potential is worthwhile. For many people I have come to respect, their answer is yes. I'm a hobbyist and I'm not trying to win any awards, so having something I can carry with me at almost all times is mind-blowing.

Nitpicking between the P4 vs Mavic has run its course at this point. If you have reservations about the Mavic, or have specific needs/desires about consistent and known quality, buy a P4. Even DJI even states in their FAQ (via the Go app) that the P4 is better suited for landscape photography, for instance.

An Inspire would be nice to have, for sure. But it is NOT the only solution to acceptable Image Quality.
And its not that cheap.
The valid comparison here is between the p4 and the Mavic.
And I think it is VERY important to know that the p4 has higher IQ than the Mavic.
It just helps you decide which drone is right for you.
This is not a sharpness "setting", that you can turn up or down and simp;y "correct it post".
A mushy camera/lens combo doesn't magically get "fixed in post".
If you think the difference in image quality is insignificant, or irrelevant, for the work you do, well then you are on your way!
I, on the other hand, need more information before I feel the new drone is better than the old drone.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's not meant to replace the phantom 4, so why does it need to be better?

I can't get over the sheer number of people that are of the belief that this is somehow targeted as a P4 replacement. These people totally believe this too. Unbelievable.

I can't get over the sheer number of people that are of the belief that this is somehow targeted as a P4 replacement. These people totally believe this too. Unbelievable.

I don't believe DJI has officially announced whether it will or wont, so your assumption is as accurate as theirs.

For my money, I will wait for the Mavic 2 and hopefully the video won't completely suck.

Reactions: direkMel
Check out Jon Olson's and iJustine videos, they look a lot sharper and almost indistinguishble from a P3/P4:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am not a photographer by any means but I see nothing wrong with this video showing the mavic in plenty of different lighting situations.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on why you think the Mavic is not a P4 replacement. If the P4 and Mavic were lined up side by side in the store and you were the salesman, what reasons would you provide to the customer which would convince them to buy the P4?

From all reports, the Mavic camera is on par with the P4. Wind is no issue - see the leaf blower test where it looked like it actually performed better than the P4. It has more features, is microscopic and weighs a fraction of the P4.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on why you think the Mavic is not a P4 replacement. If the P4 and Mavic were lined up side by side in the store and you were the salesman, what reasons would you provide to the customer which would convince them to buy the P4?

From all reports, the Mavic camera is on par with the P4. Wind is no issue - see the leaf blower test where it looked like it actually performed better than the P4. It has more features, is microscopic and weighs a fraction of the P4.

Is the Mavic a Phantom Killer?

It would appear so from all the in-depth reports on the rcgroups Mavic thread. There's a few guys on there testing Mavics and consistently reporting nothing but positive news.

Edit: Apologies, didn't realise it was a link.

Have a flick through the rcgroups thread. It appears the Mavic is a more advanced unit (from reports on there DJI have absolutely nailed OcuSync and it's miles ahead of LB2) than the P4 in every conceivable way and packaged in a unit a fraction of the size. I can't envisage a scenario of a customer walking out the door with a P4 if it's sitting on the shelf next to the Mavic.

Last edited:
Read through this thread: GoPro Karma - RC Groups

There's multitudes of evidence from guys who actually have a Mavic (blade and some other DJI guys) and say the camera is as good, if not, better than the P4. There's also plenty of sample videos from guys who actually know how to use the product, unlike Casey and his potatoe (his spelling) brain.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Yeah, not seeing anyone who is saying the camera on the Mavic is better than the P4.
Certainly not seeing any evidence for this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic