So what's the deal with the camera?

Reaction score
Some of the footage (Specifically from the Casey Neistat preview) looks pretty **** soft. Is this a result of the protective dome? Is the camera just soft?

Would be a REAL **** shame if they have THAT package and the camera ends up being sub par? I can't imagine thats the case but I'm curious what's going on.

Some of the footage (Specifically from the Casey Neistat preview) looks pretty **** soft. Is this a result of the protective dome? Is the camera just soft?

Would be a REAL **** shame if they have THAT package and the camera ends up being sub par? I can't imagine thats the case but I'm curious what's going on.
Could have been his settings, but I wouldn't put it pass DJI. Case in point, my z3 I bought for my Inspire 1. The camera is out of focus has a ton of issues and DJI has yet to fix it with a fw update. I'm going to wait for a bit before I even consider. Anything new from DJI has its problems...

When he's holding and talking about the drone in the beginning of his video he keeps putting his hands where the camera is. My guess is - he didn't clean the lens before he flew outside.

haven't seen Casey's footage. However, I did watch the DigitalRev quick review and they actually did a comparison between the P4 and the MP cameras. The P4 is visibly sharper--they speculate it is due to the relatively smaller sensor in the MP.

Overall picture quality is good imho. I'm selling my P3 and ordered the MP yesterday. portability and general image quality etc. outweighs potentially better flight and camera performance of 4K phantoms.. but I'm all about run-and-gun. This is EXACTLY what i was looking for when i got into aerial camera platforms.

...my only concern is how long it's going to take to release some decent ND filters for this thing.

they speculate it is due to the relatively smaller sensor in the MP.
They recanted that opinion (see annotation in video, and comment on page). The sensor is the same.

There are other speculations on why the video looks so muddy - apparently there's a calibration that needs to be done for proper infinity. Personally, I'm also wondering whether the comparison is even the same, since the overall picture crop is different due to the FOV.

Reactions: camfirstflyer
I couldn't agree more. I thought the Neistat video looked pretty bad (very soft). I still can't say it was really a great comparison in the DigitalRev video either. This will obviously be coming though. Once people start to get their hands on the Mavic there will be plenty of A/B comparisons to test the video between the Phantom 3/4 and the Mavic.

I'm definitely not jumping the gun to the Mavic just yet. If the sensor in the Mavic isn't close to the Phantom's then that will likely be a deal killer for me. I've grown too accustomed to the awesome video the Phantoms can provide.

Reactions: Snapring
Full 4k with no down scaling on the Mavic, looks pretty **** good.

That looks a bit better, but its hard to tell. I feel like, ultimately, there's just no way the camera on this thing is going to be crappy. Im looking forward to seeing some flat, out of the camera footage

Reactions: camfirstflyer
[QUOTE="camfirstflyer, post: 945821, member: 68436"they speculate it is due to the relatively smaller sensor in the MP.
They recanted that opinion. The sensor is the same.

There are other speculations on why the video looks so muddy - apparently there's a calibration that needs to be done for proper infinity. Personally, I'm wondering whether the comparison is even the same, since the overall picture crop is different due to the FOV.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, thanks for clarifying. Ya, I'm not too concerned. I'm confident in the quality of their camera hardware, since much of it will be path dependent on past DJI R/D.. There is, of course, the issue of bugs and refinement.

...kinda glad i probably won't be receiving mine for a little while. Let other EARLIER adopters clear the gravel path so that by the time I do get to fly, some of the inevitable bugs will be addressed.

With that said, I think we all need to be patient and constructive as issues are uncovered and addressed.. especially on the software side of things.

just my 2c.

That looks a bit better, but its hard to tell. I feel like, ultimately, there's just no way the camera on this thing is going to be crappy. Im looking forward to seeing some flat, out of the camera footage

Also, it doesn't shoot images in RAW...

Didnt Casey mention he did not process the video when it starts? ie its not color graded, which makes the video look very soft.

Of course, the camera is not as good as P3/P4 otherwise, though it looks very decent to me.

haven't seen Casey's footage. However, I did watch the DigitalRev quick review and they actually did a comparison between the P4 and the MP cameras. The P4 is visibly sharper--they speculate it is due to the relatively smaller sensor in the MP.

Overall picture quality is good imho. I'm selling my P3 and ordered the MP yesterday. portability and general image quality etc. outweighs potentially better flight and camera performance of 4K phantoms.. but I'm all about run-and-gun. This is EXACTLY what i was looking for when i got into aerial camera platforms.

...my only concern is how long it's going to take to release some decent ND filters for this thing.

The difference is disappointing. I guess I'll keep my Phantom 4 and the Mavic, when I buy it :) The portability of the Mavic is going to be worth the trade-off most of the time.

Reactions: direkMel
After watching several vids of the Mavic, I'm pulling the trigger on it. Half of me wants to wait for the first wave to go by (for production bugs) and the other impatient gotta have now side is wanting to go order it now. Tough decisions...... portability is #1 on my list of reasons to buy. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a scene of a bank robbery getaway where you're done flying and you've got seconds to pack it up and drive off before the security gets there and you're yanking off props , putting the gimbal guard on, and then stuffing it in a case to throw in the car..... I know some of you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

According to DJI's own specs, the sensor sizes are the same (and I suspect it's exactly the same sensor since there is no reason to believe otherwise). This is the typical 2/3 sensor that virtually everybody uses and though it's likely the Sony, DJI is holding the manufacturer close to the vest.

Last edited:
Side-by-side comparison of Mavic, Phantom 4, and Karma.

There's something TOTALLY off with this comparison. Casey's test unit is screwed up, or he's not focusing it or something. I have seen other footage straight out of the Mavic that looks WAAAAAY sharper than that.

Full 4k with no down scaling on the Mavic, looks pretty **** good.

you think that looks good?? something isn't right, there is no way in hell they can be ok with this subpar quality.

The Karma/go pro camera makes this look like a potato! the P3/4 makes these cameras look like a Polaroid point and shoot

Reactions: WilsonFlyer

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj