So what's the deal with the camera?

This is what I was referring to:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/DJI_0005.mp4

It starts blurry, then they focus it properly.

To me, this is believable footage of the quality the Mavic camera is capable of. The props dip into the frame but the orientation seem to match the Mavic. Kinda hard to tell from just this example but the clarity seems close to the P4 but just a tad softer. As more confirmed Mavic footage is released, it could very well be the same quality as the P4. If I didn't have anything and I was in the market for a Drone, I'd pick the Mavic over the P4 based on this footage and the portability over the P4.

I'm a bit skeptical of this footage. At .14 in the video, you can see the props dip into frame. Not only have I not seen the props in any of the other Mavic footage but the orientation of the props (position) don't seem to match the Mavic. Also, this video claims to be unrendered but the colors seem a bit too vibrant to be unedited, even compared to a P4.
BC-2. Nice catch. Bummer. I've ordered one already and I am really not liking the video I've seen so far.

Yes, yes, the camera looks terrible. Everyone start canceling their orders so I can get my Mavic sooner!! :tonguewink:

I'm a bit skeptical of this footage. At .14 in the video, you can see the props dip into frame. Not only have I not seen the props in any of the other Mavic footage but the orientation of the props (position) don't seem to match the Mavic. Also, this video claims to be unrendered but the colors seem a bit too vibrant to be unedited, even compared to a P4.

Props may dip into frame if you are in sport mode and going full throttle. This has been confirmed by DJI reps.

As far as I recall, default DJI color profiles do include a vibrant setting. Notice ~15 seconds in how the sun and the right half of the sky is completely blown out. If this were post-processed, I'd expect that to be less extreme. I don't have any trouble believing it's straight out of the unit.

Could have been his settings, but I wouldn't put it pass DJI. Case in point, my z3 I bought for my Inspire 1. The camera is out of focus has a ton of issues and DJI has yet to fix it with a fw update. I'm going to wait for a bit before I even consider. Anything new from DJI has its problems...

Mavic marvelous!!!!! its still new and i hope DJI will take seriously on the camera issue. somehow the video output not so beautiful as DJI 3 & 4. somehow looking at Mavic video it hurts my eyes. something is wrong here. coz im not enjoying looking at it and the word WOW is not coming out frm my mouth. if i look at phantoms video its amazed me.
somehow the the clarity is not there...colors are not as alive at it should be...
im not the expert here but im judging base on what iv seen before frm phantom 3 & 4. if DJI can solve this mavic will be a perfect drone for all people. it will change on how we live. it can be to an extend every house owns a mavic. like it was before with computers. like camera DLSR not all have it. u can do it DJI.

They recanted that opinion (see annotation in video, and comment on page). The sensor is the same.

There are other speculations on why the video looks so muddy - apparently there's a calibration that needs to be done for proper infinity. Personally, I'm also wondering whether the comparison is even the same, since the overall picture crop is different due to the FOV.

Where is your info from regarding this "infinity calibration"?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Where is your info from regarding this "infinity calibration"?
I don't know if it's a 'calibration' per se, wrong choice of words on my part. However, it's been repeatedly stated by DJI folks that infinity focus is something that the Mavic has, and that users (such as Casey Neistat) can break out of by tapping to focus (much like you would do on your smartphone).

I don't personally know what options there are to lock focus or if there's a manual/auto toggle that would prevent accidental focus issues.

I do believe the plastic dome is supposed to come off when shooting videos. It's on there to protect the camera and gimbal during traveling. Sure, it can be left on doing shooting but you'll likely get softer videos as a result. This is what I've heard anyway. If you watch all of the many promotional videos, some have the dome on, some have the dome off. It would make sense for the dome to add softness to video, wouldn't it?

I think so too. Why on earth would anyone want to reduce the optical quality of the camera by keeping it behind a plastic dome? This excellent review also shows a comparison with (left) and without (right) the dome:

Screenshot 2016-09-30 11.19.15.png

Reactions: 74wj61m3m4ueg2hi
Hi guys.. I came across this video that will solve alot of the worries about the mavic camera! I am a P4 owner and I am now thinking about making the switch after I have got over the worry of what I see on Casey's video yesterday.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

At the 8:00 min mark, they drag race and you never see the Mavic props even at full speed......

hmm, that's definitely an interesting hypothesis. I think we'll just have to wait for more video footage to come to a conclusion.

Although I can't speak to the prop issue, the image vibrancy may be due to the fact the footage is taken during golden hour (at least that's what it appears to me). Also, the close in street shots look a lot more neutral.

I'm only seeing comparsions to P4, how will the video quality of the Mavic compare to the Phantom 3 Advance (that's what i have) I only record in 1080 60 fps, will the Mavic video quality be better than this, equal, worse?

Thank you.

Try this:

That's the worst horizon drift I've seen on a DJI product yet :eek:

Give us the straight up full on intensive video AND photo comparison.
Give me a Mavic, and I'LL do it.
I've got a P4 ready to compare it to.
Why is nobody citing this one so far?

Why is nobody citing this one so far?
Because it was one of the first ones, and therefore has been thoroughly discussed in several other threads (including the one you've linked to - it's the third post! :))

We've moved onto (much) better footage, like what was posted a few messages ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31