So what do you guys think about the Phantom 3? Return it or keep it?

This is my first drone, I was thinking a little about the price tag on it but after the first 3-4 flights I had no doubt, I’m going to keep it. I’m planning my day on when and how much I can fly it. Even with no experience at all it’s easy to fly. The “airspace” around me keeps increasing as for each time. With the 12 flights I have logged so far I have been at 120 meters of altitude and 1,4 km away and I am impressed with the performance, pictures and software, each time I fly it I find new things to do with it. Had it out in pitch dark and the video quality was amazing. I’m in the middle east and we have temp of 49 degrees C in the shade and the first thing to complain is my new IPAD.

Would like to test it at night filming fireworks.
I did a live stream on YouTube where my neighbor was liting some professional fireworks. By the time I got her set up, they finished. They had sparklers going though. Here's the video. Very dark, still learning the camera settings. Fast forward to 4:10.
I've logged 16 flights so far and I have to say that it's been rock solid. My range is limit in my neighborhood, but I took her out to a private airport and was able to get her out a mile. Love my P3P!

Being new to drones I'm still scared to fly it any great distance. I keep thinking it will drop out of the sky [emoji38]

The only problem I have is with an Ipad in the sun it is useless. I am waiting to find a way to use goggles or I will sell it.

Easy, buy a DJI inspire remote. With the latest firmware it will bind with the Phantom 3 and work perfectly. Now use the HDMI out on the inspire remote and connect it to any set of goggles that support an HDMI in like the Zeiss cinemizer goggles. You can even do that simultaneously while you also have a smart phone attached normally.

Thats my problem. I research too much. I know every flaw, ding and scratch about the Phantoms. Yet, I was hoping the errors would decrease and so far it seems pretty 50-50 to me. I dont like the odds and the 2 month waiting time for repair in the event of a crash. Just trying to get some honest input without any trolls. I still have not cancelled because my anticipation is taking over. I guess Im really trying to find out if there is legit defectiveness or more of user error crashes. People talking about their P3 suddenly losing power and crashing is all too familiar and such a headache to repair. Im hearing that the battery needs to be broken in certain ways and also hearing about multiple cases where the power randomly shuts off after 30-50%. Not trolling as I have my pre order still set. I just would like more input - less trolls

Truth of the matter is most multi rotor crashes Phantom or not are do to user error and not reading the full manual BEFORE flying. Not flying carefully and within your skill level which means NOT doing range tests to see how far you can go before you even know the basics. And the list goes on.

Another thing to keep in mind is far fewer people we'll be going on line to post about their good experiences as opposed to those who will log on to post about a negative experience, regardless if it was do to their own fault or not. Saying or even thinking that half of the Phantom 3s sold have problems in my opinion is flat out wrong.

When you get your Phantom don't fret, read the full downloadable manual. Fly within your means, and when your compas calibrate it should be in a clear fields fee of metal electronics or potential sources or interference.

If the compass is calibrated properly on the ground will it mess up if the phantom goes out and flies near a metal structure?

Why do people keep saying read the manual? There is nothing in there. Its all just descriptions of buttons or options or whatever. Nothing really interesting in there that would ensure a safe or fun flight... its all just common sense...

When people say read the manual they are referring to the full manual and not just the quick start guide. There is a lot more to the full manual than a few pictures. There is important critical I formation that can make the difference between your Phantom flying as it should and not. Such as how and where to calibrate your compas. You can tell that A prior poster clearly didn't read the manual when they say they were trying to calibrate their compas by their large metal garage door. Anyway so the point remains. Read the full complete manual before flying.

Reactions: dirkclod
Yeah I saved the full manual as a pdf from the dji site. Much more detail in there than the leaflet that comes in the box.

If the compass is calibrated properly on the ground will it mess up if the phantom goes out and flies near a metal structure?

As long as your flying your phantom within clear line of sight with no obstructions you won't have any issues. Provided set metal object isn't a cell tower for example. Certainly don't try to fly through said metal structure.

I'm giving the P3 a few weeks before making the decision to purchase. I want to see how this new Phantom shakes out vs Solo.

I was curious to see some real world performance of the solo as well. But truth of the matter is the solo is too new with it's whole linux computer setup which may be ripe with problems for early adopters. And with the locations I may occasionally wish to fly I want something a bit more proven so if and when I would consider a solo might be when the second generation comes out or at least 6 months of the product being widely available. That way most of the major bugs get shaken down. Also their is a cost factor and the P3 is better bang for the buck and I also like the improved range out of the box vs solo.

Keep it,
I been seeing a handful of people that are doing perfectly fine with their Phantom 3s (still too early to confirm)
and I seen another handful of people who have already crashed and lost their Phantom 3.

I currently have one pre-ordered and still waiting for it.

Whats your input keep or cancel order?
I am

I been seeing a handful of people that are doing perfectly fine with their Phantom 3s (still too early to confirm)
and I seen another handful of people who have already crashed and lost their Phantom 3.

I currently have one pre-ordered and still waiting for it.

Whats your input keep or cancel order?
Got my new P3 and installed app, charged battery, got ready to fly. But quad could not see app. What was wrong? Got a hold of DJI live chat and went through a few things. He/she asked when did I get the quad? I said Thursday. He said there was a new firmware up date two days before and directed me to the web site for install instructions. Updated quad and controller, everything is working fine.

Keep it. The Lightbridge technology is unstopable.

I'll be getting a 3DR Solo end of May, at that point, i'll do a comparison video on our channel (link at bottom right corner of site) and compare the 3DR Solo Vs. Phantom 3.

well I'm a newbie to like quadcopter life and I'll say one thing I'm not a manual friendly type of guy and love to rush into things so I did end up getting my p3 tangled into power lines due to not knowing once home was pressed it will go up to default settings of rising up to 60 m for this unit to fall from 40 feet and fall on one arm I was very impressed to see there was only cosmetic damage. I love this dam thing and in my opinion buy it matter of fact buy two lol and this forum has been very helpful as well thanks guys for everything I will one day master video aND picture capture

The only problem I have is with an Ipad in the sun it is useless. I am waiting to find a way to use goggles or I will sell it.
get a sun screen from amazon for the Ipad or sit under a shade tree works great!!

I'm giving the P3 a few weeks before making the decision to purchase. I want to see how this new Phantom shakes out vs Solo.
Don't know much about the Solo but will check it out. As for the Phantom, people have been flying it for more than a month and very little has been found. The technology improvement over the P2 makes it well worth the investment. I should have mine for this next weekend so I can make my own evaluation...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl