So what are your feelings?

Generally not very happy, and I made a number of bad decisions, which are now costing me $$$ to resolve.

Mistake 1.
Bought from the Internet and not a local shop where I could take it back in case of problems.

Had an intermittent fault from new, where the RC Tx seemed to fail after around 7 or 8 mins of flying, which took me ages to track down, as I initially thought it must be interference

It was basically uneconomic for me to send it back to the supplier, as they, I found out later, are actually based in Hong Kong, and they have a bad track record for just hanging on to returned goods and sometime never even give a refund.

So ended up having to pay $$ and but a Futaba 8FG, which works perfectly

Mistake 2

My fault entirely, but I fitted long screws from blade guards into motor and almost damaged 3 of them.
Fortunately I didn't do them up tight, so when I took them out, all motors seem to still work.

However this is such a common problem (numerous postings on this forum alone) that I think its something that needs to be stated very clearly on the base of the Phantom etc.) Perhaps its in the docs somewhere

General thoughts
Although I've not had a flyaway, because Return To Home has worked on both occasions when my RC TX failed, it has left me very concerned about FlyAways, especially after watching the recent videos on YouTube by experienced users with well calibrated machines etc etc where there have been plenty of unexplained flyaways

Personally I've lost faith in the Naza, as it could easily have some software glitch that DJI isn't admitting to.

This is probably an over-reaction. but I've just ordered an APM 2.5 + telemetry kit from HobbyKing and I'm swapping out the Naza for the APM as soon as it arrives, so at least it goes wrong I'll know why.

However I'm probably not your average P2 buyer, as I've flown RC before, and I was expecting to be able to have more ability to modify the P2, rather than it being quite a closed and restricted product

I think I'd probably have been better off buying a FlameWheel 450 kit and buying the APM or PixHawk and the RC gear separately.
So my next project will probably be a micro copter and either a F450 or F550 but not using much DJI stuff apart from the frame

Perhaps someone should compile a wishlist for DJI

1. Complete manual (downloadable PDF) in English and other major languages, that fully documents everything. Instead of the hotchpotch of various PDF's all written to make reading difficult.

2. Flight log recorded into the Naza, and downloadable via the Assistant software, so that if you get a flyaway and are able to recover the Phantom, that either you know what happened, or have grounds to take the problem to DJI

Thanks Rogerclark for taking the time to compose a great overview. I guess as far as my 2 cents go I'm very dissatisfied with the Phantom 2. Two months old with 11 flights on it. Flight 10 and 11 with the brand new zenmuse and go pro hanging on the bottom turned into 2 bad crashes. Loss of power flat wobble crashes ending with plastic props and guards disintegrating. After installing new props flew it again to find that it was very unstable and lack of power. And yes everything was calibrated and imu status was happy. Now the gimble has a funny tilt going on when I rotate it on a flat surface and tilts past where it's supposed to be.
My feelings is that when there is a board that everything runs thru, there is going to be problems. Not really sure and hopefully dji tells me what the problem was. Wether the naza imu died, or the circuit board cracked. Either way it gets sold off as soon as it gets back from service. Not sure if hooking up the zenmuse and iosd with transmitter put a load on the power system.
I have 4 other UAV,s all running naza v2 with GPS and fpv. Probably an average of 50 flights on them with no problems whatsoever.
Wondering if anybody out there has long flight hours on there phantom 2's and I just have a lemon.
Would love to here from more pilots out there.

Justgregg said:
I have 4 other UAV,s all running naza v2 with GPS and fpv.

hi @JustGregg

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I agree the Naza hardware is less lightly to be the problem, than the Firmware. (I'm a professional software developer and have developed firmware in the past)

From what I understand the P2 firmware is different from the P1 etc, but as its closed source with and because DJI don't communicate with their users, its a recipe for trouble.

Reading the thread on the new firmware for the P2 gives me no desire at all to upgrade.

In fact, I'd say that the consensus of people is that they are avoiding doing the upgrade until other people have tested it.
But if thats everyone's mentality on the forum, we're not going to know how good or bad the new firmware is, until a new batch of owners receive their Phantoms, with the new firmware pre-installed

Justgregg said:
Wondering if anybody out there has long flight hours on there phantom 2's and I just have a lemon.

If think if you scanned though the posts over the last month, you'd find at least half a dozen people who'd recently had problems, or even lost their phantom.

The phantom could be a wonderful package, but its not as good as it could be, because DJI view it as a consumer item, and think they are in the same market as iPhones and other similar gadgets.
But in reality, the product is far more experimental and needs a totally different approach.

They'd really crack things if they at least had someone who responded to the forums, and listened to their user base.

Even better, make the firmware open source, or at least add logging and other fixes in response to user issues.
Also, ditch the proprietary comms that they use to lock you in to their over priced batteries, and their other interfaces.

Its the 21st century, and I think that attitude is getting quite outdated ;-)

Had mine about 3 months now. 50 flights between 2 batteries. Flown out as far as 2500 meters. Not a single problem. Made no mods to it except for iosd and Immersion tx for FPV. Not a single crash. No prop guards. No aftermarket props.

My gut feeling is a lot of people have crashes from these reasons:

1. Not understand the manual and the importance of the firmware updates (I don't count the latest update though as I'm waiting for other people to be guinea pigs).
2. Not understanding the start up sequence and light sequence COMPLETELY.
3. Not understanding Vortex Ring State
4. Prop guards that aggravate VRS (and improper installation of these)
5. Aftermarket props that aren't genuine DJI
6. Disorientation from no FPV especially without isod.

I think a number of people crash because of one of the above reasons and then sooner or later the crashes stat taking a toll on the boards inside the craft leading to other reasons for crashes. And this is my biggest pet peeve. People who crash because of the reasons listed and then start crying about how they did nothing wrong and how they have a "defective unit".

You read all the bone headed things on this board (or watch enough youtube vidoes) and you can quickly diagnose the vast majority of the crashes in the first 30 seconds from one of the above reasons.

Just my opinion.

In a word, dreadful. I regret the purchase.

I do not get the results I see others get. I routinely see people post videos that they say are from amongst their first flights and they look rock-solid. After many flights, I get uncontrollable shake and un-commanded yawing. I think I probably got a defective one, but I don't know that I want to re-sell this one (which I'd have to sell as defective, meaning no one will want it), and try again on a new one. Here are my very poor results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuxoaa6 ... e=youtu.be

EDIT/UPDATE: I have disovered that one of the pins in my gimbal likes to come loose and that may account for part of my problem with footage. The other issue is that the P2 does not shoot stable video in wind. Also, the yaw problem never fully goes away. I'm hoping the 3D fixes that.

I'm happier now than I was before. I know how and when to use the P2 for video. It's a fair-weather shooter. If you just want FPV and fun flying then it's great. If you want stable, sellable video be prepared to set expectations appropriately.

Justgregg said:
Happy with your phantom 2? How long have you had it and how many flights/charges on batts?
Just curious.

P2 with Zenmuse Gimbal, mini iOSD, and Storm FPV system from Helipal. Had it about a month and a half with about 30 flights between two batteries. I'm very happy with it. I've had two crashes into trees and they were completely my fault. One was disorientation and one was testing return-to-home with a giant tree between me and it, when I activated it. I busted my gimbal on that one and 2 propellers on that crash. Otherwise, everything is working as expected. I think I have the compass issue as discussed in length in that other thread, but it hasn't hindered any of my flights too much.

The best thing to do is to educate yourself. Read the manual. I researched for almost 6 months before purchasing and had compiled no less than 100 bookmarks to instructional/informative videos, tutorials and manuals. I'm very careful and aware of all the things freyjoel mentioned, plus more. I cringe when I see people with the "got my phantom and crashed" threads and see that it's one of the things that could've easily been avoided had the pilot simply read the manual.

Even with all the stuff I do know and how careful I am, I realize that every time it's in the air, it could be the last time I see it. So with that in mind, why wouldn't you want to know as much as you could, before flying around $1500 worth of gear?

I realize that there are legitimate issues out there but my experience has been very good. Hope it stays that way. I hope to keep this around for a long time and I've already got the bug to get something bigger so I can put a nicer camera than the gopro on it. The only thing I'd change on my order would be the FPV. The monitor is nice enough and it works well, but craps out a little bit past 1km. I dunno . . . Maybe it's a good thing that I can't fly out 3 miles in FPV :) Maybe I'll save that for the next "toy".

Hi all

I am a pre-newbie ... Meaning that I have yet do do my first Phantom 2 flight. Right now, I am spending tons of time researching these forums and others gathering vital info on what to buy as well as tips, good-to-knows etc.
While I wait for the h3-3d, hero3+, phantom2 combo to become available, these threads are well received.

I would love it if there was a thread or sticky that had great tips etc. if anyone has some good YouTube video links that helped them in their early flying days or any other websites of help, feel free to list them here as I would definitely visit them.
These threads are a great source of info. Thank you.

Very happy with it. I've had too much horrible weather, but I get out whenever there's a break.

Very impressed with the range. I ended up getting a simple FPV setup for it because I knew just going even a little bit BVR would really open up the possibilities.

Really happy with the IOC. I used it on my second flight to follow cars around a track. It was obvious right away why they added the CL and HL features. And you don't have to get very far away before you can't tell which way is forward. They did a great job addressing this.

I like the way they've handled the battery install and the power on/off using joysticks. All in all, the whole package is pretty **** slick. You have to watch all the details, and there's a pucker factor in sending the thing way up there and over the trees, but even just putting around, it's still very satisfying when you bring it back safely.

I think it's one of the more fun things I've ever owned.

freyjoel said:
Had mine about 3 months now. 50 flights between 2 batteries. Flown out as far as 2500 meters. Not a single problem. Made no mods to it except for iosd and Immersion tx for FPV. Not a single crash. No prop guards. No aftermarket props.

My gut feeling is a lot of people have crashes from these reasons:

1. Not understand the manual and the importance of the firmware updates (I don't count the latest update though as I'm waiting for other people to be guinea pigs).
2. Not understanding the start up sequence and light sequence COMPLETELY.
3. Not understanding Vortex Ring State
4. Prop guards that aggravate VRS (and improper installation of these)
5. Aftermarket props that aren't genuine DJI
6. Disorientation from no FPV especially without isod.

I think a number of people crash because of one of the above reasons and then sooner or later the crashes stat taking a toll on the boards inside the craft leading to other reasons for crashes. And this is my biggest pet peeve. People who crash because of the reasons listed and then start crying about how they did nothing wrong and how they have a "defective unit".

You read all the bone headed things on this board (or watch enough youtube vidoes) and you can quickly diagnose the vast majority of the crashes in the first 30 seconds from one of the above reasons.

Just my opinion.

I'm hoping you're right. I just ordered one with the gimbal today and after reading some complaints I started getting nervous. I've had a 450 and 550 in the past with no issues. I've been flying planes and helis for more years than I care to say. There are many things that can "get you" in this hobby but experience can prevent a lot of problems learned from past mistakes. Flying experience is invaluable in tight situations (high pucker factor). If there IS a hardware or software problem experience doesn't help as you hit the ground. It may make you cry less :p

I've had my P2 for a month now and I'm loving it. I'm getting ~19 minutes with everything on it. My h3-2d gopro3 give me really smooth and clear video. I recently installed a FPV system (5.8ghz 200mW) with an iosd mini and couldn't be more stoked on it. I did a lot of research on FPV options and bought everything separately, just need to get the better antennas and then it'll be set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogerClark said:
The phantom could be a wonderful package, but its not as good as it could be, because DJI view it as a consumer item, and think they are in the same market as iPhones and other similar gadgets.
But in reality, the product is far more experimental and needs a totally different approach.

This, completely.

I love mine but I never forget that at the end of the day it's a machine that is open to so many variables. It's certainly should not be viewed as a consumer item although it's definitely marketed as such.

Also not wanting to be a killjoy but I do believe that there should be some mandatory education/training before purchase and flight. Yes I know that's impossible to implement in the real world but it scares me that anyone with the money can fly a quad into any situation. How many times do we see "new user, 3rd crash" etc. How long before the headline "quadcopter seriously injures member of the public..."

Again, I don't want to be a killjoy but I do feel that with the increase of sales combined with the lowering of costs that it's only a matter of time before most countries will require you to hold a licence to operate. Which may not be a bad thing a couple of years down the line...

I got mine about 2 months ago. Used to have a T-Rex 450 couple years back, but I got a little bored and left the RC hobby. This completely revived the spirit. Quickly installed a simple FPV system (200mw) and getting easily +1km range on both video and control (never lost TX on control yet). I'm still on firmware 1.8. Haven't done any other mods then the FPV and iOSD (iOSD I placed inside the shell). So far haven't had a single problem, hovers very steady. Haven't crashed or broken anything and using my first pair of blades (haven't balanced them either). I think it's good value for money.. and the value is a LOT of fun :) puts a smile on my face every time. I'm just a little worried about regulations, hope upcoming laws won't deprive hobbyists too much of their fun :roll:

Had mine a few months. So far so good. Its fully loaded with iOSD, 600mw tx, Gimbal, gopro blah blah blah.
I also fitted the prop guards for the first few weeks just in case I hit something. I noticed that my run times were approx 11 minutes which seemed a bit on the low side. Anyway, I recently bought a case but the Phantom wouldn't fit with the prop guards on. After taking them off I noticed I'm now getting approx. 14 - 15 mins run time. I don't know if its because of the prop guards or maybe my batteries are better conditioned now that they have been cycled about 15 times. It might be a combination of both but I'm going with the guards. Might put them back on at some point and see what happens.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT