Smooth control for videos. What's with 125%?

Reaction score
I find that the controls on my P1 are a bit sensitive for shooting good video. I set the yaw gain to 40% and now it is easier to pan the copter around for smooth video. I wanted to do the same for some of the other controls and some of those default settings are 125% gain. Why are they more than 100%? Why are not all the gains set to a maximum of 100%? Has anyone set these lower to smooth out the handling? I understand that this might make the copter a little sluggish and not be able to hot dog it around but I am willing to make this trade-off in order to shoot some professional looking video.

pmacafee said:
I find that the controls on my P1 are a bit sensitive for shooting good video. I set the yaw gain to 40% and now it is easier to pan the copter around for smooth video. I wanted to do the same for some of the other controls and some of those default settings are 125% gain. Why are they more than 100%? Why are not all the gains set to a maximum of 100%? Has anyone set these lower to smooth out the handling? I understand that this might make the copter a little sluggish and not be able to hot dog it around but I am willing to make this trade-off in order to shoot some professional looking video.

I find 125% fine. But it took a little practice - my first few flights were really jerky. I've managed slow or fast turns and maneuvers at 125%. A better transmitter will also make it easier without having to sacrifice performance/capabilities (though, they cost a pretty penny).

pmacafee said:
Thanks, I guess it is just practice.

Or a better remote... and just so you know, by "first *few* flights", I am defining "few" as a pretty decent number. It took me a while, and most of my early flights were learning flights. ;)

Lots of guys have modified their RC to slow down the yaw rate. Basically you splice some resistors in the wires from the yaw potentiometer, and a toggle switch to enable/disable.

Also, lowered the gain from 125% to 30% and got a lot of yaw drift. Now back to 125 until the potentiometers come.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl