Silly question, but now what?

That said, you now have in your possession, something that can allow you to look at your place on Earth a little bit differently. I say get creative and go have a look. You may just find out what makes us so passionate...
I guess I'm not the only one that watches all my flights twice (or more). Once real time and then on the PC in 4K :)

Spend time on the DJI simulator. It's a great tool. Gives you ample opportunity to practise control and orientation skills. It's fun and totally crash proof!

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I bought my p4 late Saturday afternoon, and flew it twice yesterday and again today at lunch. I've kept it in beginner mode the entire time. I've taken just a few minutes of video, but nothing of consequence.

So, what should I do next? I know it's a silly question, and you guys can't really tell me what I should do with my own quad. But seriously, I don't know what to do next. I could take it out of beginner mode and actually learn to fly the thing a little bit, but I'm scared to death of crashing the thing. Yeah, it's gonna happen eventually, and my own nervousness probably makes it more likely, but still.

Sorry for the rambling. I guess I could actually explore the dji go 4 app a little. Up till now I've spent the entire time actually flying by looking at the drone, and not the app. To be honest, I have almost no clue what the various bits in the UI do.

I need to find a better spot to fly. The only places I've flown so far are pretty constrained and surrounded by trees, so that contributes to my nervousness.

So. Yeah. Rambling over.
I found, after I got mine, that practicing using the P4 simulator in DJIGO at least allowed me to get some practice in using the remote and to learn how to fly in circles around an area and so on. There's plenty of things you can not do with the simulator, but here is zero risk while using it.

I bought my p4 late Saturday afternoon, and flew it twice yesterday and again today at lunch. I've kept it in beginner mode the entire time. I've taken just a few minutes of video, but nothing of consequence.

So, what should I do next? I know it's a silly question, and you guys can't really tell me what I should do with my own quad. But seriously, I don't know what to do next. I could take it out of beginner mode and actually learn to fly the thing a little bit, but I'm scared to death of crashing the thing. Yeah, it's gonna happen eventually, and my own nervousness probably makes it more likely, but still.

Sorry for the rambling. I guess I could actually explore the dji go 4 app a little. Up till now I've spent the entire time actually flying by looking at the drone, and not the app. To be honest, I have almost no clue what the various bits in the UI do.

I need to find a better spot to fly. The only places I've flown so far are pretty constrained and surrounded by trees, so that contributes to my nervousness.

So. Yeah. Rambling over.
My best inputs came from Laurence Seberini's flight and video courses. Go to courses.phantomfilmschool.com/enrollments and look around. He has some great plans to teach one to learn how to fly and make amazing videos.
Jim
WA5TEF

I been flying for over two years now. I started out very nervous.Started going
200ft. then 500ft. ,1000ft. now I am up to 3000ft. still nervous but Next flight
I am going to try 35-40000ft. We will see how far I get. Having a blast with
this. I am flying a p4 now. I do have a yuneec 500 and about 8 other toy
ones.Just have fun this is a great hobby.

The most common response that appears on this forum is to read, read and re-read the manual before becoming adventurous. There are many stories of new pilots crashing their drones because they didn't understand how to operate them. As for a crash being inevitable, I have flown 100000 mtrs without incident and the only close calls I had were my fault. After reading the manual ad nauseum, stay in beginners mode, practice flying in Atti mode at a low height and get a feel for what the drone is doing, ensure your RTH is sufficient to clear any obstacles when switching over to GPS mode, leave your collision avoidance on to help you out (don't rely on it to save you though). When you move out of beginners mode , find somewhere open and clear of obstacles, look at what the app is telling you and slowly build up your confidence.
I agree but would add one more thing. Contact an insurance agent and get a personal property policy. Mine (from State Farm) has zero deductible and covers any damage or loss, unless intentional. Intentional is like setting it on fire, deliberately crashing into an object, throwing it in a lake. Crashes are covered, even if it's your own fault. That's not the same a deliberate unless you had "deliberate indifference". These policies are very inexpensive. And, no, I'm not in the insurance business.

I agree but would add one more thing. Contact an insurance agent and get a personal property policy. Mine (from State Farm) has zero deductible and covers any damage or loss, unless intentional. Intentional is like setting it on fire, deliberately crashing into an object, throwing it in a lake. Crashes are covered, even if it's your own fault. That's not the same a deliberate unless you had "deliberate indifference". These policies are very inexpensive. And, no, I'm not in the insurance business.
I tried to find an insurance company over my way that would include the type of insurance you are referring to but no one would go near it, with the exception of it being covered for theft under contents insurance. I have read of a company over east that does specifically cover drone insurance but that won't work for me over here. I suspect that the market is so small with very few occasions of crashing incidents that no one has seen a business opportunity in either a standalone or incorporated policy to include UAVs.

I missed the 48 hour window on DJI Care, and I haven't decided if I will try their video verification option. I did get a policy with State Farm, so at least I do have some kind of protection.

On Friday I finally took the training wheels off, and a couple of minutes into the flight DJI Go 4 promptly crashed. Fortunately I was only ~1000 feet away and still had visual, so I could land it manually.

Yesterday flew with the regular DJI Go. In my neighborhood I can barely make it 1100 before I receive warnings about poor signal strength. There are a ton of tall trees here, and I'm sure residential interference applies as well.

Now I gotta find larger spaces near me to fly.

Who are you to rate a members' response? He has a right to post whatever advice he feels is fit without fear of being chastised by the post police.

I don't think glen e meant anything bad at all and was just letting the fellow know that finding a field is a good option away from buildings and trees. I see nothing wrong with his post and he shouldn't have to worry about being ridiculed for trying to help someone.

Sometimes these forums just make me want to puke because some people think they're better than everyone else. I'm a bit tired of this one now. I know there are people here that are much kinder than that. At least they have been to me anyway. msinger for one has helped me immensely and if anyone had spoken to me that way I'd have been gone in a heartbeat.

I've only been up here since last June Glen but I apologize for the treatment you just received.

Bud

It's comments like this that waste people's time and clutter forums with crap. Your post was really helpful, I'm sure the OP will get a lot out of it. But I bet you feel better because you got it off your chest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: DanMan32
Ha! It didn't bother me in the least. I post sometime very succinct, I did not mean to be sarcastic. I also don't believe you have to write paragraphs and paragraphs to explain something. I own a forum and see this all the time, there are always " asst moderators" out there. Thanks for your post. In general I think this forum has an overwhelming amount of people that want to help, and in general, you see less bickering here than on many, many , many other sites......

Wow!! I wasn't aware that we had posting police up here on this forum. I guess we'd better check with rleigh from now on before we answer someone's question. That way he can approve it before we post it and that way we won't annoy him.

Frankly, I don't give a **** what you think, you Can't fly in constricted space, it's too nerve racking, esp when new.....Find a field and you are much more at ease. So yeah, end of story.

Find a field.....end of story......

Who are you to rate a members' response? He has a right to post whatever advice he feels is fit without fear of being chastised by the post police.

I don't think glen e meant anything bad at all and was just letting the fellow know that finding a field is a good option away from buildings and trees. I see nothing wrong with his post and he shouldn't have to worry about being ridiculed for trying to help someone.

Sometimes these forums just make me want to puke because some people think they're better than everyone else. I'm a bit tired of this one now. I know there are people here that are much kinder than that. At least they have been to me anyway. msinger for one has helped me immensely and if anyone had spoken to me that way I'd have been gone in a heartbeat.

I've only been up here since last June Glen but I apologize for the treatment you just received.

Bud

I'm sorry that you are upset with my reply and you might have thought that yours was helpful and hell who knows it might have been. I don't plan on being a police of post but the way your post ended " end of story " reads like a smart *** remark and that you feel the OP is wasting people's time for posting. Maybe I read into it too far but I just get tired of people being rude to newcomers that are just trying to learn or maybe find some way just to get started in the conversations on the forum.

Yes, most topics posted have already been asked and answered and yes, a lot of posts seem like common sense. Sometimes people just want to post something just to start building relationships and get to know other members. I just get tired of the people that chime in with rude comments or just want to argue and get the last word in.

So again, I apologize if you were sincere and thought your reply was helpful and I'm not trying to make enemies here. I only want people to be able to post and not have someone tear them down when they are only trying to be apart of the group.

Reactions: Simsbury
Hi rleigh;

Thank you for your kind post. I may have said some things I shouldn't have said and for that I too am very sorry. Life's too short to be bickering with anybody and I should have known better. At 71 years of age you'd think I'd have learned that by now.

I sincerely hope you'll forgive my rudeness to you and I can promise you it won't happen again. I was out of line and I'm sorry.

Once again, thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments rleigh, it was a pleasure to read.

With kindest regards

Bud

I'm sorry that you are upset with my reply and you might have thought that yours was helpful and hell who knows it might have been. I don't plan on being a police of post but the way your post ended " end of story " reads like a smart *** remark and that you feel the OP is wasting people's time for posting. Maybe I read into it too far but I just get tired of people being rude to newcomers that are just trying to learn or maybe find some way just to get started in the conversations on the forum.

Yes, most topics posted have already been asked and answered and yes, a lot of posts seem like common sense. Sometimes people just want to post something just to start building relationships and get to know other members. I just get tired of the people that chime in with rude comments or just want to argue and get the last word in.

So again, I apologize if you were sincere and thought your reply was helpful and I'm not trying to make enemies here. I only want people to be able to post and not have someone tear them down when they are only trying to be apart of the group.

Reactions: rleigh
Find a big open field where there's no chance of running into anything within sight of the drone.
Or an ocean. Nothing to crash into and you learn twice as fast over water. Fact.

Seriously though, we've all been there. While others are saying, take it real slow; I'd suggest you not go over the top. As you said in the first post, nerves can increase your likelihood of crashing. Recognise that the P4 is a pretty failsafe platform. As long as you are pointing forward (which is a good direction to be facing for a beginner!) You can't get into too much trouble.

When I first started out I had what I call hand dyslexia - I'd get overwhelmed about which hand is doing what. I nice tip for complete novice - once you are up the air - you can't crash into the ground using your right hand (elevated terrain excluded! ;) Just like learning a clutch. Also a good tip, don't rely on various course locks and home locks. Learn to fly as if you are in the cockpit (video feed is great for this). It helps a lot later down the line to not be using a crutch. Then when you are comfortable with altitude and pitch & roll, introduce yawing the aircraft and you are on your way to real flying.

Hi rleigh;

Thank you for your kind post. I may have said some things I shouldn't have said and for that I too am very sorry. Life's too short to be bickering with anybody and I should have known better. At 71 years of age you'd think I'd have learned that by now.

I sincerely hope you'll forgive my rudeness to you and I can promise you it won't happen again. I was out of line and I'm sorry.

Once again, thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments rleigh, it was a pleasure to read.

With kindest regards

Bud

No problem and no grudge held on this end.

One thing I have done recently was buy the Fat Shark Dominator V3 FPV goggles. Really helps give you more confidence since you can see from the copters perspective vs watching on your tablet or phone which really washes out due to the sun. I even use a hood over the screen of my tablet but still it doesn't compare to a true FPV experience.

One thing I have done recently was buy the Fat Shark Dominator V3 FPV goggles. Really helps give you more confidence since you can see from the copters perspective vs watching on your tablet or phone which really washes out due to the sun. I even use a hood over the screen of my tablet but still it doesn't compare to a true FPV experience.

What kind of range are you getting as I have heard they don't go as far as what the Phantom can?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94