Signage when flying drone

Reaction score
Hello,

I was looking at the regulations that my park district has for flying a drone on park district property, and one of the rules is to have "signage should be near the location on the day and time that the drone is flying over. Sign must be pre-approved by the XYZ park district"
I have asked them if they are enforcing this rule for both recreational and commercial flying, but in the mean time I thought I would ask if anyone else has had to post signage and what are they putting on their signs.
I'm particularly interested in what anyone is doing for recreational flying.

No personal experience - but possibly a fluorescent vest with the words 'Drone Pilot' emblazoned on it would suffice?

Yip if we put a sign up here we probably need permission to put a sign up ,,red tape here bad,,,I just keep bright orange drone vest in the car is more practical, never know someone might like your sign and steal it lol,,these are very cheap aswell
16037442070418570428262868046711.jpg

Hello,

I was looking at the regulations that my park district has for flying a drone on park district property, and one of the rules is to have "signage should be near the location on the day and time that the drone is flying over. Sign must be pre-approved by the XYZ park district"
I have asked them if they are enforcing this rule for both recreational and commercial flying, but in the mean time I thought I would ask if anyone else has had to post signage and what are they putting on their signs.
I'm particularly interested in what anyone is doing for recreational flying.
Guess I've been very lucky so far. I wear my FAA tag around my neck; that's all. Just the other day I was flying my P4 Pro and had 3 people that were looking for me since the saw my drone. They were very interested in learning about drones. One lady had a very expensive camera and a very long lens. She was into photography and was very impressed with the video she saw on my phone...at 720p. They stayed for 2 batteries worth of flying. Had a great time with them!

Not sure what your park commission is really requiring, but using a helipad and a vest may be enough. The pad marks your takeoff/landing site and the vest shows you to be the pilot. If you stay above 10 feet AGL except during ground transitions, nobody will get a free haircut either.

Yip if we put a sign up here we probably need permission to put a sign up ,,red tape here bad,,,I just keep bright orange drone vest in the car is more practical, never know someone might like your sign and steal it lol,,these are very cheap aswellView attachment 120472

Where is the vest from? All I ever find are the certified pilot vests, or the make your own.

No, I haven't had to post a sign yet. But, I do mention if I'm within the five miles of an airport for them to note or post something that I'll be flying a drone in their area so the local pilots would know, per regulations.

No, I haven't had to post a sign yet. But, I do mention if I'm within the five miles of an airport for them to note or post something that I'll be flying a drone in their area so the local pilots would know, per regulations.
That is under the old rules. The airport 5 mile rule was changed in 2018. It now is based on classification of airspace. In Class G airspace you do not need clearance. For all others you do and you apply through the LAANC system or through the FAA DroneZone for areas not covered by LAANC. A visit to the FAA website will get you headed on the proper path.

That is under the old rules. The airport 5 mile rule was changed in 2018. It now is based on classification of airspace. In Class G airspace you do not need clearance. For all others you do and you apply through the LAANC system or through the FAA DroneZone for areas not covered by LAANC. A visit to the FAA website will get you headed on the proper path.
Thanks for the info! By chance could you provide that link so I could refer to it later. I'm limited on time and I just spent a couple of hours trying to find what you're telling me. I think I'm more concerned about the Class E surface non-tower. Maybe that is what I remember about the requirement of notifying them that we'll be flying in their area.

I generally use Airmap for the LAANC and for the non-LAANC and LAANC restricted area I file through Dronezone.

If you are using AirMap then it should let you know if you need to get clearance. If you are in any controlled airspace you need clearance including surface E. AirMap uses this ArcGIS Web Application as its data source for controlled airspace. If you fly in an area covered by a grid, you must obtain clearance. You are also restricted to the AGL altitude specified in that portion of the grid.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31