Should I upgrade from P3S to 4 or mavic pro

Reaction score
Hi there
My phantom 3 standard is my first drone and new to flying , only got about 3 hrs flying up my belt .. and I am totally loving my drone it’s amazing ... the only problem I have is video seems a little jittery and missing obstacle avoidance .. I would love obstacle avoidance, as I found out the hard way ...and ran into a thin pole that was a little hard to judge from where I was standing ... and return home if have a problem will just return straight home with or without a obstacle in its path ... only had 1 tiny stack drone is fine , just broke a blade .., question is , is it worth upgrading to a phantom 4 or mavic pro and which do you think it’s best ... I have a a couple of light poles around race track as I’m a caretaker and live on grounds for harness racing Australia at Penrith
So I have an open field to fly drone but a couple of obstacles that are hard to judge a few hundred meters away ... or should I get a couple more hours under belt prior to upgrading ... cheers everyone and have a great night

Hi Glen,
You should not expect Obstacle Avoidance to stop your AC crashing into thin poles or tree branches. It is only there as an added measure and is not failsafe.
The best thing to do is continue with your P3S and keep away from obstacles then maybe when you have more experience, upgrade to the Mavic or P4.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I just checked video on memory card on computer video is fine , I just need to be a bit slower with movements that comes with practice , so guess the only question is should I upgrade to p4 or mavic pro or continue to learn abit more with the p3s .. just would love obstacle avoidance, that’s all
Thanks in advance

Hi Glen,
You should not expect Obstacle Avoidance to stop your AC crashing into thin poles or tree branches. It is only there as an added measure and is not failsafe.
The best thing to do is continue with your P3S and keep away from obstacles then maybe when you have more experience, upgrade to the Mavic or P4.

Ok cheers mate
Will do ( great advice ) thanks

I would agree with @mikero, obstacle avoidance isn't the end-all to avoid crashes that you think it is. It's just one more tool that may help you in certain situations but, IMHO, sometimes it can be more of a pain. I fly both a P3S and a P4. I actually turned the OA off on my P4 because I found it to be a bit flakey at times, and less than helpful at others. As for jittery video, your mobile device could actually be part/all of that problem, so don't rule that out. Been there! I would also agree to continue with your P3S and get some serious flight time under your belt. My P4 gives me more range than my P3S but, my P3S far exceeds the advertised range, and it does that completely stock. Despite its engineering limitations, and two crashes, my P3S has been a solid, reliable performer, a pure joy to fly, and I have no complaints. Honestly, I would upgrade from a P4 to a P4A before parting with my P3S. With 3 hours of flight time on your log, it's probably a bit too soon to be thinking about upgrading. Enjoy your P3S. It will give you many hours of solid enjoyment. Good luck.

Reactions: Glen G

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31