Should I get an Osmo Pocket for My Cruise?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am embarking on a cruise shortly and need some advice. Should I get an Osmo Pocket? Is it useful or a waste of $$?

Thank you!

Hard question to answer unless people know what you might be using it for.

Personally, I love mine but it's also a frustrating/confusing device. It does certain things so well that it's paid for itself already. There are features missing that make you wonder if it was rushed.

It struggles with focus (even after the recent firmware update) so I would say to avoid it until DJI sort this out.

Adam

Okay, so here's a tip for you. If you have an iPhone, you don't need the expensive Osmo cameras just for cinematic-looking hand-held videos. I need to take high quality field videos for my company, so I purchased a Smooth Q gimbal ($99.99) that holds my iPhone. It gives me wonderfully smooth hand-held videos. Here's a review.

Enjoy the cruise. I'll be taking one at the end of May. (Anthem of the Seas out of NY Harbor)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kara Murphy
Everything depends on how much money you want to spend and what you will use your filmed material for. If it is just for your home memories than a phone is just fine. If you want to make a presentation for others, not only for your family, then a mechanical stabilizer is absolutely necessary to give your video more professional look. I like my Osmo because it is so small and practical hence. It fits in almost every pocket as the name says. Because of its smallness it has some disadvantages too. Your fingers quickly become too big. Setup menu is pretty limited but you can not expect more from such a device. The display is so small that I almost need a magnifying glass to see it well. Luckily the auto mode do it just fine so there is no need for much manual setting. On the other hand you will be nicely surprised of the quality of 4K video and Hi res photo. It worth the money. You'll hardly get such a camera for this price. The choice is up to you.

Okay, so here's a tip for you. If you have an iPhone, you don't need the expensive Osmo cameras just for cinematic-looking hand-held videos. I need to take high quality field videos for my company, so I purchased a Smooth Q gimbal ($99.99) that holds my iPhone. It gives me wonderfully smooth hand-held videos. Here's a review.

Enjoy the cruise. I'll be taking one at the end of May. (Anthem of the Seas out of NY Harbor)

Is Anthem of the Seas a Royal Caribbean ship? Did RC give the o.k. a drone on the ship?

Why not a drone on the ship?
I know that some of cruise companies put on their not allowed list drones too, but I think this concerns using the drone on the ship.
I can see no logical explanation in prohibiting to have something like a drone in your luggage. It is not a weapon. And using a drone on a shore is not something that concerns the cruise company in any way.

I never said I was taking my drone on the cruise. I'll be too busy having fun to be flying a drone :) like flying on my own in the skydiving simulator or relaxing on a Caribbean Beach with a tropical drink in my hand rather than a remote control. As far as I know, you can take along a drone on an RC cruise, but can only fly it when off the ship (depending on local laws).

Like I said, I use my iPhone mounted onto the Smooth Q gimbal for my work and professional videos that are presented to clients. The video quality and cinematic smoothness is excellent at a fraction of the cost of an Osmo. But that's only if you already have a good iPhone. Keep in mind, it is only meant for smart phones. You can't mount a regular camera to it. (See the above video.) There also may be a smart phone size limitation (can't recall), so check into that before ever ordering, if interested.

Last edited:
I have a blast with my Osmo Pocket. It is small enough to take almost anywhere, is ready to shoot in moments of power-up and has great resolution. It doesn't do it all but what it does do, it does it well. I have an iPhone gimbal (Osmo Mobile 2) and find it to be too bulky to take with me most times. Highly recommend the Pocket.

Completelly agree. I have a whole bunch of cameras lenses etc. but one wise man once said: the best camera is that which you have with in that moment.

Reactions: Kara Murphy

I should have gone with this. Not too impressed with the Osmo Pocket. They could have at least added a Hasselblad camera. Personally thought my iPhone took better photos of a lot of things.

Completelly agree. I have a whole bunch of cameras lenses etc. but one wise man once said: the best camera is that which you have with in that moment.
Chase Jarvis coined "the best camera you have is the one you have with you" or something along those lines.

Two things I enjoy about my Osmo Pocket is the small size and how quick it is ready to use.

Couple days back at beach ,older chap had new p4pv2,we talk for ages and he show me this osmo thing,,,it's great,I thought they quite big but very nice compact device with excellent cam,,I would prefer to use me drone cam but I thought this pretty cool and might be my next investment,great for security purposes :)have been looking but for me and our $$ value not to good so waiting on that

Hi Phil, what info are you after, specifically? I've had mine since they were launched, still working fine and enjoying it. There have been several firmware updates and they've added features and (most importantly) improved focus.
A

Hi Phil, what info are you after, specifically? I've had mine since they were launched, still working fine and enjoying it. There have been several firmware updates and they've added features and (most importantly) improved focus.
A

Hi Ginger I was just wondering about pic and video quality , smoothness of video etc.
I'm assuming they're as good as a drone?
Do they have zoom?

Here is the sample which I took a month ago on the ship and a week ago at mountains.
Even a video from the car during the drive while I hold the Osmo in my free hand is quite good, pretty smooth and sharp.
If you take the video during the walk some up and down movements will be seen otherwise almost the same as with my Mavic Air.
Cheers!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've been impressed with the quality, video seems quite similar quality to my P4Pro footage - incredible stability. Photos very good but the wide angle means that you need to get close to anything to show it properly.

There is no zoom, the slomo video mode (very impressive) does crop to the centre of the frame (I'm guessing it's a 1080p cut from the centre of a 4K frame). I suspect they aimed this FoV at the vlog crowd so that they could film themselves at arms length! Microphone is impressive, but does pick up wind noise.

The stabilisation modes need to be understood and played around with - using the camera for a driving 'timelapse' produces odd results unless you use FPV mode, FPV mode disables face/object tracking,etc - this is definitely a camera that you need to play with and discover.

As others have said, it powers up very quickly - so you can be ready to take a shot. The very low profile of this camera means that people hardly notice that you're using it.

The USB-C connection works well for me (Android phone) and is the fastest way of using the Mimo app, something like 14MB/s transfer - whereas the base fitted Wifi/BT module only manages 5MB/s. Remote operation is very neat, range is impressive.

I do photography/video work and the Osmo Pocket has easily paid for itself - I would buy another one if I lost this one.

HTH,
Gingerbloke

Hi Ginger I was just wondering about pic and video quality , smoothness of video etc.
I'm assuming they're as good as a drone?
Do they have zoom?

Reactions: Phill2
I have one, it is an extremely good camera for the price, and the 4K 60 frames per second video are amazing for its price point. I do not own one, but a similarly-priced Panasonic G7 that is used takes 4K video, not 60 frames per second, but 24 or 30. And the Panasonic video quality looks much better, the only way I can describe the osmo pocket video quality is slightly chunky in fine details. But it is still a hundred times better than my old Canon DSLR, and for YouTube videos it looks amazing. I only noticed that the quality isn't quite as good as more expensive cameras when it's blown up really big on my desktop screen. And it is a little bit better quality than my phone, but not much. But my phone on my osmo mobile gimbal is large and cumbersome to take around, and it doesn't do 4K 60. but the tiny osmo pocket that is a lot cheaper than my phone and gimbal is easier to use, and it is much more capable. I have ND filters for it, and shoot everything in manual, and I have gotten some good videos with it. But it is definitely not my end all camera, I'm saving for a Fujifilm xt3. I need 4K 60 at 10 bit color! ;)

Reactions: Phill2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic