Should I get an Osmo Pocket for My Cruise?

Reaction score
Hard question to answer unless people know what you might be using it for.

Personally, I love mine but it's also a frustrating/confusing device. It does certain things so well that it's paid for itself already. There are features missing that make you wonder if it was rushed.

It struggles with focus (even after the recent firmware update) so I would say to avoid it until DJI sort this out.

Adam

Reaction score
Website
www.zazzle.com
Okay, so here's a tip for you. If you have an iPhone, you don't need the expensive Osmo cameras just for cinematic-looking hand-held videos. I need to take high quality field videos for my company, so I purchased a Smooth Q gimbal ($99.99) that holds my iPhone. It gives me wonderfully smooth hand-held videos. Here's a review.

Enjoy the cruise. I'll be taking one at the end of May. (Anthem of the Seas out of NY Harbor)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everything depends on how much money you want to spend and what you will use your filmed material for. If it is just for your home memories than a phone is just fine. If you want to make a presentation for others, not only for your family, then a mechanical stabilizer is absolutely necessary to give your video more professional look. I like my Osmo because it is so small and practical hence. It fits in almost every pocket as the name says. Because of its smallness it has some disadvantages too. Your fingers quickly become too big. Setup menu is pretty limited but you can not expect more from such a device. The display is so small that I almost need a magnifying glass to see it well. Luckily the auto mode do it just fine so there is no need for much manual setting. On the other hand you will be nicely surprised of the quality of 4K video and Hi res photo. It worth the money. You'll hardly get such a camera for this price. The choice is up to you.

Reaction score
Okay, so here's a tip for you. If you have an iPhone, you don't need the expensive Osmo cameras just for cinematic-looking hand-held videos. I need to take high quality field videos for my company, so I purchased a Smooth Q gimbal ($99.99) that holds my iPhone. It gives me wonderfully smooth hand-held videos. Here's a review.

Enjoy the cruise. I'll be taking one at the end of May. (Anthem of the Seas out of NY Harbor)
Is Anthem of the Seas a Royal Caribbean ship? Did RC give the o.k. a drone on the ship?

Reaction score
Why not a drone on the ship?
I know that some of cruise companies put on their not allowed list drones too, but I think this concerns using the drone on the ship.
I can see no logical explanation in prohibiting to have something like a drone in your luggage. It is not a weapon. And using a drone on a shore is not something that concerns the cruise company in any way.

Reaction score
Website
www.zazzle.com
I never said I was taking my drone on the cruise. I'll be too busy having fun to be flying a drone :) like flying on my own in the skydiving simulator or relaxing on a Caribbean Beach with a tropical drink in my hand rather than a remote control. As far as I know, you can take along a drone on an RC cruise, but can only fly it when off the ship (depending on local laws).

Like I said, I use my iPhone mounted onto the Smooth Q gimbal for my work and professional videos that are presented to clients. The video quality and cinematic smoothness is excellent at a fraction of the cost of an Osmo. But that's only if you already have a good iPhone. Keep in mind, it is only meant for smart phones. You can't mount a regular camera to it. (See the above video.) There also may be a smart phone size limitation (can't recall), so check into that before ever ordering, if interested.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the question is about Osmo pocket.

Reaction score
I have a blast with my Osmo Pocket. It is small enough to take almost anywhere, is ready to shoot in moments of power-up and has great resolution. It doesn't do it all but what it does do, it does it well. I have an iPhone gimbal (Osmo Mobile 2) and find it to be too bulky to take with me most times. Highly recommend the Pocket.

Reaction score
Completelly agree. I have a whole bunch of cameras lenses etc. but one wise man once said: the best camera is that which you have with in that moment.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justaschmidt