Shooting Raw and JPG - 2 Questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 99081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 99081

For background...I'm a full time, very experienced, professional photographer, and image quality is essential for me, to send stills to my agent. I'm very familiar with digital imaging post processing (I've won awards for Photoshop use and I teach Lightroom). I have my (new) Phantom 4 Advanced set to shoot JPG and RAW (DNG) files in the Go 4 app.

I have 2 questions, please...

1. In the software (Lightroom CC, latest version) the appearance of the 2 file types is almost the opposite of what I would expect from my digital stills cameras. The JPG file looks flat and unprocessed (drab colours, no contrast etc), and the RAW files look as if they have been processed (more colour, brighter, vibrant images).

I was expecting to process the RAW files from a very "flat" state and have less to work with, in their semi-processed state, which is not what I expected and also a bit puzzling. In the digital camera, the JPG's would be "processed" and the RAW's almost like a digital negative. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

2. Last evening, I was flying the P4A and toggling between video and stills shutter buttons. After a few toggles, I got a camera button and a video button showing on the main screen of the app (in my iPhone 6). For convenience, I pressed the camera button for stills. This seemed to work, but when I downloaded the images, all of the stills shots taken after the dual buttons appeared are JPG files. There are no DNG files, even though I had the app set to JPG + RAW.

A) Can someone explain why both buttons appeared and how to do it deliberately - and also turn them off?
B) Am I right to assume that when I get both buttons on the screen the stills button only shoots JPGs?
C) With both buttons showing how do I shoot in RAW.

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Stephen

2. Last evening, I was flying the P4A and toggling between video and stills shutter buttons. After a few toggles, I got a camera button and a video button showing on the main screen of the app (in my iPhone 6). For convenience, I pressed the camera button for stills. This seemed to work, but when I downloaded the images, all of the stills shots taken after the dual buttons appeared are JPG files. There are no DNG files, even though I had the app set to JPG + RAW.
With previous models it was not possible to shoot stills while shooting video.
With the P4 pro and Adv, you can ..... but the images will only be recorded as jpg files.
Presumably processing and writing raw files is just too much for the camera processing chips to deal with while still recording video.

With previous models it was not possible to shoot stills while shooting video.
With the P4 pro and Adv, you can ..... but the images will only be recorded as jpg files.
Presumably processing and writing raw files is just too much for the camera processing chips to deal with while still recording video.

Thank you for that. Can you tell me how I turn the dual shutters on and off, please? I seem to have managed it by accident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20