Shield K1 and Cached Map???

Reaction score
So this morning I was going to go scout a local area for the opening of duck season. Since we had permission to hunt a new piece of private property we decided to take the P4 in case we wanted to do a look around from the air. Not having been in there and knowing it was a marshy area we weren't sure how much we'd be able to walk around.

So I got the K1 out and all charged up and before I left town I opened up Litchi and scrolled around the area so the map would be in the cache. Zoomed in and out and it all went great. So we did our scouting at the marsh then went to the new private spot. I got the K1 out to take with us as we tried to walk around so we'd have an aerial look at where we were going and it worked perfectly. Ok now for my question.

As we moved around the location dot on the K1 moved right along with us. How in the heck did it know our location? I don't have any kind of cell service plan for it, no wifi set up on our cell phones. So enlighten me. How did the location work?

onboard GPS in your K1
Well I knew that but was under the impression that you needed some service provider for that to function. Clearly it works just like any normal handhled GPS which is great to know. Now I will carry this with me on my boats as a backup. Way better than my little handheld as long as I remember to cache maps of where I will be that day.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie