Sensor on a speeding for phantom 4

Reaction score
What will happen if the p4 and a car are going for a head on collision? Will the p4 the reverse or dodge swiftly or will they collide in high speed?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

They'll collide. Even if the drone was able to sense the oncoming car at a long enough distance to get out of the way, all it would do is stop. It would not only need to sense the vehicle, it would need to figure out how to avoid it. I don't know what the algorithm for that is, but I'm confident it wouldn't happen in time to effectively change location and avoid the crash.

Last edited:
Don't DO IT, but if you do please share the video of the crash. Just like MacCool said it would stop and try to figure out the next step, something like a deer in your headlights.

Well, since to the best of my knowledge, the Phantom 4 Obstacle avoidance is speed dependent. As far as I know, 20mph may be the upper limit of it's ability. So, if the combined speed of the phantom and the car is under 20MPH, it may performance an obstacle avoidance. Nah, the Phantom will stop and the car will plow right into it........

I believe, under the provided scenario, the Phantom won't even get a chance to stop before the collision. It only senses objects at about 7 feet away. It wouldn't have time to think of stopping. Not that they think.

I believe, under the provided scenario, the Phantom won't even get a chance to stop before the collision. It only senses objects at about 7 feet away. It wouldn't have time to think of stopping. Not that they think.
I agree, however I think it would put on the brakes less than a second before it its turned in 1000 little pieces. Maybe a good project for those high speed camera guys.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic