Send my drone to DJI customer service for repair.

Reaction score
Hi, I think I’ve got a unique problem with my Phantom 4 Pro!
I had bought the Phantom 4 Pro upon advice of my friend. This was my first drone and it worked perfectly. Just recently it started doing unusual things.
This happened about 4 times with me. When I was flying my Phantom 4 pro and it had gone quite far away from me, it started doing unusual things. The phantom started detecting obstacles in front of it while it was literally in the open ground. No obstacle was even near it. This happened multiple times with me, and usually happens when I’m trying to fly it back to me.
For the solution I switched it to ATTI (Manual) mode to fly it back to me. This was easy as it was in front of me in the open but if it were in some forest, it would have been very hard to fly it back through the manual mode.
I contacted DJI and after explaining myself, they were very humble with me and advised me to send it back for further inspection. The experience was very satisfying. After just a day I received my Fed-ex shipping labels to send the drone back. Now I’m confused as to exactly what to send back. Should I just send the drone itself or the controller too? I think the controller might be defective but I’m not sure. What should I do? Should I send everything back by packing in the box or what?
Any suggestions for me or what should I pay attention to?
Your help will be highly appreciated! Thank-you.

I had bought the Phantom 4 Pro upon advice of my friend. This was my first drone and it worked perfectly. Just recently it started doing unusual things.
This happened about 4 times with me. When I was flying my Phantom 4 pro and it had gone quite far away from me, it started doing unusual things. The phantom started detecting obstacles in front of it while it was literally in the open ground. No obstacle was even near it. This happened multiple times with me, and usually happens when I’m trying to fly it back to me.
For the solution I switched it to ATTI (Manual) mode to fly it back to me. This was easy as it was in front of me in the open but if it were in some forest, it would have been very hard to fly it back through the manual mode.
I contacted DJI and after explaining myself, they were very humble with me and advised me to send it back for further inspection. The experience was very satisfying. After just a day I received my Fed-ex shipping labels to send the drone back. Now I’m confused as to exactly what to send back. Should I just send the drone itself or the controller too? I think the controller might be defective but I’m not sure. What should I do? Should I send everything back by packing in the box or what?
Hi - and welcome!~

If you are committed to send it to DJi then carry on but some people here have reported problems with obstacle avoidance caused by flying towards the sun. That could simply be the problem and there won't be anything that DJI can fix.

See here, for example:- Obstacle avoidance and bright sunlight

I wouldn't be too impressed by DJI or any other company inviting you to send your drone in so you can perhaps pay them some money... That's business :)

If it's a warrantied repair then that's good.

Last edited:
hey, don't mail back your battery, and remember to take out your SD card.
You may check out this guide to see more details.
I have had this problem with my v2.0 when not facing the sun. It continually breaks when I tried to move forward. I turned the front sensors off and it worked fine.

After my dealings with DJI customer dis-service, I'll never send anything to DJI even if under warranty!

After my dealings with DJI customer dis-service, I'll never send anything to DJI even if under warranty!
Over 4 years I have sent my various drones in to DJI for warranty repair 4 times. Only one time did I have a dis-satisfactory transaction, but it finally got worked out. They wanted to charge me a refresh fee when my MP was in pristine condition, and the gimble failed to initialize, and it was under warranty. This added 10 days to the repair time, arguing with DJI it should be covered under warranty. That's when I stopped buying refresh on my drones. Interestingly enough, all but one time DJI sent me a new drone instead of repairing it, not a refurb, and those drones didn't have refresh. Only once (out of 4 returns) did DJI actually repair my drone, by replacing the gimbal + camera on my P4P, which had a strange little twitching when X axis was at one angle (easily reproducible). Overall I've been happy with DJI repairs, but I live only 30 miles from their repair location in So. Calif, which is overnight shipping via UPS ground. I wouldn't send them something out of warranty, in fear they would update my firmware without asking my permission.

BTW, DJI won't need your RC, only the drone without battery. Shipping companies require you to declare lithium batteries when shipping. My experience is that DJI normally tells you in their RMA instructions what they want back, based on your symptom reported. However you can send the drone with RC if you want. Make sure you use the original gray foam box to pack inside a cardboard box to protect it. Last think you want is damage during shipping, and DJI claiming you crashed the drone, voiding the warranty.

First, you should eliminate sun interference as the cause. I bet that's your problem. Everyone gets this occasionally when flying into the sun.

Last edited:
They should call that the Icarus effect.
I'm throwing my hat in the same ring as to the cause here. Pretty much is always the issue.

I had a problem once and sent it all back as each controller is made for each drone. Yes, send it all.

Send the drone and the controller - hopefully you have the original box. I have had a great experience with their repair, although I have received a new drone back instead of a repaired unit.

Have you calibrated the obstacle avoidance sensors through the assistant app?
If not, give this a shot.
Also take a very close at each forward sensor and inspect for anything that can refract light.
It would not hurt to moisten the tip of a cue tip.
Check for any small debris such as dirt or dust.
After inspection is complete, clean each forward sensor with the moist tip of the cue tip.
Do so in a circular motion.
Dry off each sensor with the dry tip of the cue tip(circular motion).
Cleaning combined with calibration should do the trick.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: justinca2013
Seems as though we have all had issues with the sun. I get the sun issue when it is in front of the drone and directly behind it.
The usual advice is just send the drone, but if you think there is an issue with it send the controller as well and tell them you think there is an issue with it, that will force them to check it.

Perhaps I have been very lucky I am not sure but 99% of my dealings with DJI repair, purchase and DjI Care, have been excellent. I have always been very polite and gracious with them and heaped praise on them. I have also on occasion built up a dialog with some of them and continue with one of them. Believe me when I say it has paid of. They are only doing their job to the best of their ability and getting not very much pay compared to those in the West. But really they have been amazing, one of the best companies I have had dealings with. Sorry don't intend to demean those who have had bad experience as many have.

Very true Jerry, they always change it because the s/n is always different. But here is a question some may be able to answer. I have seen many comments saying that it is a refurbished one, a load ready and waiting so they can get it back to you quick and then try to refurbish the one you sent for another customer.
But here's the question, I have looked at them very carefully and I have had a lot of DJI drones sent for repair/replacement and they always look spotless. I can't find a mark on them anywhere. I have assumed they are brand new. So anyone know the definitive answer?

From what I know (and that is up for debate).. ;) when I
bought my P4P+ I bought the DJI Care buy never needed it...
DJI will send you up to 2 NEW Drones if you have active
DJI Care. A refurbished Drone can easily be made to look
brand new.
My problem is... I paid for "X".. If I send it in for repair, I
want "X" returned to me.
Only I know how much care I've taken of my equipment.
Not sure about other drones.

Jerry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic