SECURITY against :Hacking a drone - Worries of theft in flight

Yea!

And we have proof that it has happened as well.

How would you even know if your drone was hijacked?
You would likely think it was a glitch and just flew off, never to be found.

There "could" be dozens of hijacks on this very forum and nobody would know.

Well I worry of losing it. I bought the best antenna on the market for it so will lower the risk of loosing signal. I worry is of hacking. (ItElite MaxxRange Antenna (Full Kit))

You would have the telemetry recorded from the drone, lat/lon would would indicate something was off. Walking around with a GPS spoofer would be like walking around with a cell phone jammer, someone would notice and that's not something that you would want to be caught with. People with GPS navigaton i their cars would spot it almost immediately. I would be surprised if a single user on this forum had the GPS spoofed.

Yea, at least in the USA. I'd bet 0%.

Dsmx is spektrum based protocol correct? So it would only work on dsmx based transmitters or transmitter modules and not dji product.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Correct as I read/understand it.

But still this is just a proof of concept.

Too many other things need line up for this to be a threat to anyone IMO.

You would have the telemetry recorded from the drone, lat/lon would would indicate something was off. Walking around with a GPS spoofer would be like walking around with a cell phone jammer, someone would notice and that's not something that you would want to be caught with. People with GPS navigaton i their cars would spot it almost immediately. I would be surprised if a single user on this forum had the GPS spoofed.

Yes, you could ultimately figure it out....but you would not immediately notice or suspect it. It would fly off and you would say "software glitch".

I have seen cell phone "jammers" fit in small backpacks operated via netbook and able broadcast push notifications to all phones within a 1km radius. Even wihtout you being subscribed to thier service.

This tech was initially designed for tradeshow, event and convention marketing purposes. You could push notify all users wihtin an a building or arena.

It could easily look like a guy just sitting there on his notebook minding his own business at a park. He takes control and flys to an assistant out of view.

Nobody would ever suspect this, they would just attribute it to a flyaway and gps glitch, then you get to the last known gps location, the drone isnt there and you think "must have been stolen" or "bad data".

Yes unlikely, but possible. Somebody with the tech skils to do this would just go buy their own $400 drone.

i agree, and the signal would have to be more powerful than that from the RC which means that it wouldn't likely be a long range capability. Jamming is a more likely scenario, but again a single strong enough to jam is going to interfere with other commercial signals and that can get the FCC down on you in a hurry. Most likely cause of a lost bird in the foreseeable future is, IMO, pilot error!
Disagree. The offending transmitter would simply wait for open air before transmitting. Heterodyne is unlikely, but if there is heterodyne, the transmitter would simply resend the packets that were not received. Transmitter strength doesn't have that much to do with it. The transmitter only needs the power to be heard by the bird. Hacking is probably more involved than using a big transmitter. Cheers

The Netflix series White Rabbit (the myth busters cast).

Episode 7, a guy named Samy Kamkar builds a device called skyjack which allows for drone hijacking.

Here's a link to his site.

https://samy.pl/skyjack

I am buying a Mavic in the next few weeks. I did have a Xiro V and it took off without me controlling it . Instead of looking into a DJI drone I decided to buy another Xiro . @ flights in it took off also . Checkout the 2 flight logs . The exact flightpath . Went looking for both and came up empty handed . Wonder if both of mine was hijacked ?

IMG_2753.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 255
I am buying a Mavic in the next few weeks. I did have a Xiro V and it took off without me controlling it . Instead of looking into a DJI drone I decided to buy another Xiro . @ flights in it took off also . Checkout the 2 flight logs . The exact flightpath . Went looking for both and came up empty handed . Wonder if both of mine was hijacked ?
That's about the least likely explanation.
If it was a DJI drone we could look into the recorded flight data and probably find the cause and maybe even a likely place to search.

All DJI drones can be hacked. It has been done. However, it is not simple to do and I know of no credible reports of drones being hijacked in the wild. Some have been done as proof of concept and that is about it.

But, it can be done. DJI does not do the best job of securing their products. There is a community led effort to uncover these vulnerabilities and bring them to DJI's attention to fix them (unfortunately, it is against this site's policy to discuss that effort here).

Rest assured, unless you are a high-profile target, you are not likely to be hacked unless you are seriously unlucky. You probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightning at this point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic