Seagulls Hate My P4!!

I was curious about this issue as well. This is what i've found:

from NAT GEO

Gulls don't like bright, scary owl faces on masks or balloons (often called "terror eyes"), and some will also avoid wooden owls, kites shaped like hawks, and decoy coyotes.

Things that spin or bounce in the wind can deter birds from settling down; spiderlike mechanical devices that rotate or have bouncing "leg" wires can be effective. Spinning propellers are similarly uninviting.

Reflective material can baffle birds, so mirrored or shiny tape and streamers are an inexpensive, if short-term, solution

The jury is still out, but anecdotal evidence suggests that gulls will avoid red things.

I thought this was fkn hilarious (no evidence of efficacy)
The first drone of its class made specifically for bird control. The ProHawk™ UAV combines a sonic bird repeller [simulated bird of prey sounds, hahaha!!] with the latest autonomous flight GPS technology and design.

...Honestly, I'd try some of the easier interventions like terror eyes and red drone skin (may actually make your aircraft go faster :)

Overall, I didn't find any solid, consistent solutions. I've watched videos of seagulls swooping on realistic raptor models on rooftops. My suggestion would be to avoid going near flocks, you may be more successful with individual birds. I've also read that they may become more aggressive if your AGL is higher than theirs because they feel threatened..

I'd be interesting in hearing other ideas or solutions!

A great article that offers some definite solutions for getting rid of gulls. I have used many of the products mentioned and the best all round solution so far for me has been reflective bird repellent tape - I use this to repel birds from my boat and dock as well as my garden.

I've considered this also.. I guess my one concern is that some birds are attracted to shiny objects, no?

They crapped on your parade? Hahaha
Atleast they gave a sh!t!! ;-)

RedHotPoker

Sooner or later some bird will bring down your bird.
Swallows and purple martins love to send shivers up my spine.
It is only a matter of time before they get me.

I was about to suggest a few novel suggestions, but the “bucket of chips” would trump anything. :)

Camfirstflyer: A UK company had the cheek to sell a mole “deterrent” which was ignorant of science and mole physiology, with zero evidence it would ever put off even one mole unless the mole had unusual humour resulting in death by laughter.

I’m on the side of the gulls here. Yes, they make a mess and sometimes dominate as is their natural behaviour. But we humans have decimated the natural world so much that anything left deserves a break and the opportunity to protest. And by the look of the photo, they’ve done a better job than most human campaigners! Plus I’m a big fan of Jonathan Livingston Seagull. :cool:

Reactions: flyboy73
IamWedge (not "Ian", apologies!): This has been our plan, as we have five eagle species on the reserve. But do you know how fast a black eagle and/or martial eagle can fly? Plus how big they are? And from how far away they start their attack? These are professional predators (and, in your case, potential lovers). I sometimes think that, if/when it happens to us, it might be best just to sit back and watch, marvelling at these wonders of nature.

Again, your eyes are great. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj