SD Card

Reaction score
Hi folks...

I just ordered a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB card.

I started wondering if anyone uses a 128GB card? Or would this be considered a bit of overkill?

Hi folks...

I started wondering if anyone uses a 128GB card? Or would this be considered a bit of overkill?
I have three batteries. Could never fill 64GB card with just three batteries. Then again, I'm still using 2.7K for most, sometimes less rez as it's easier to use.

I can see some applications with long days of flying/shooting and lots of batteries using 128GB, however, my camera can't use more than a 64GB card. Check your specs. I think only the P4 Pro will accept 128GB. It may be a moot point. If you have just a P4, it wouldn't work

There are people that use the 128 GB card and it is overkill (just as the 64 GB card is).
There's a common idea that bigger must be better.
If you don't care about your images, a big card is fine, but if you value your images, you wouldn't use a big card at all.
When I bring the Phantom back for a battery change, I always swap the SD card because once I've taken photos I don't want to risk them by sending them out flying again.
Keeping the images from several flights on a big card is too many eggs in one basket for me.

There are people that use the 128 GB card and it is overkill (just as the 64 GB card is).
There's a common idea that bigger must be better.
If you don't care about your images, a big card is fine, but if you value your images, you wouldn't use a big card at all.
When I bring the Phantom back for a battery change, I always swap the SD card because once I've taken photos I don't want to risk them by sending them out flying again.
Keeping the images from several flights on a big card is too many eggs in one basket for me.
This is excellent advice and as such, I own an 8GB card for each battery. I swap them out with each battery. Never even close to full.

Very good point, I never thought of it that way.

I went out this past week with 2 batteries and my 16GB card that came with the P4. When I got home and transferred my stuff onto my PC I noticed that I had used up almost 3/4 of room on the card. I started wondering what would have happened if I had all four of my batteries with me... would I have run out of room before I was finished flying? I did know that I was going to need a bigger card going forward. Looking at card prices, I pretty much knew that I would not be getting a 128GB. But I also wanted to make sure that I'll never run out of space during my flights.

Anyway... I was just wondering (cause I'm a newb) if anyone used a big card. A BIG part of my problems come from that "bigger is better" reasoning.

I was going to get a 32GB but my index finger has a mind of it's own... and clicked on the 64GB before I could stop it. :D

I like 32 or 64 as that way I could use it with some of the other items & have that use them. For video at 4K I wouldn't want less. 128... more than anyone needs but if you get a smoking deal why not?

I shoot 4K with 4 x Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards and 4 batteries. Every time I change battery, I change the card. I've never filled a card up.

Reactions: PhantomForePlay
I shoot 4K with 4 x Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards and 4 batteries. Every time I change battery, I change the card. I've never filled a card up.
I've been hearing that from a couple of guys now... after I've ordered my sandisk extreme pro 64GB. Oh well... for sure I won't be filling it up. :)

I've been considering adopting that practice. I use a 64gb card most of the time for a few batteries of footage but the multiple smaller cards theory leaves less room for losing your footage in a crash, fly away or just bad card. [emoji106]

Reactions: Bobby T
Reactions: RDavidson02
Annoying sound effects? Check. Jump cuts? Check. Random cutaways? Check.
An intro that just repeats the topic over an over? (The tease?) check.
Couldn’t finish. 52 seconds in and he’s still talking about the name of the video. How annoying.

Perhaps you would like to share your Vlog with us so we can all see how things should be done properly.

Anyway... I was just wondering (cause I'm a newb) if anyone used a big card. A BIG part of my problems come from that "bigger is better" reasoning.

I believe the specs indicate that 64gb is the max card size. I've never used cards larger than 64gb, so I don't know if the card reader in the Phantoms can read/write to cards larger than 64gb. Maybe someone else can answer more definitively.

Someone else mentioned an important consideration. Even if the Phantom card reader can read/write to the entire 128GB's, that represents a fair amount of recorded video. If something were to happen to that card (fly-away) before you downloaded all of the video, that would be a sizeable loss.

I believe the specs indicate that 64gb is the max card size. I've never used cards larger than 64gb, so I don't know if the card reader in the Phantoms can read/write to cards larger than 64gb. Maybe someone else can answer more definitively.

Someone else mentioned an important consideration. Even if the Phantom card reader can read/write to the entire 128GB's, that represents a fair amount of recorded video. If something were to happen to that card (fly-away) before you downloaded all of the video, that would be a sizeable loss.

Yes, you're right on about the maximum size of the card that can be used in the P4 is 64GB. Not too sure where I saw this yesterday but I did see it somewhere. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't order a 128GB without knowing that it wouldn't work.

At this stage of my piloting career I am strictly flying line of sight and straight up and down, so losing my footage really isn't an issue. Presently whatever video I'm recording is pretty boring stuff. All I'm seeing is the same old park that is wide open and there are no trees around. When I do start venturing out a little further I'll probably look into getting a couple of 32GB cards.

Yes, you're right on about the maximum size of the card that can be used in the P4 is 64GB. Not too sure where I saw this yesterday but I did see it somewhere. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't order a 128GB without knowing that it wouldn't work.

At this stage of my piloting career I am strictly flying line of sight and straight up and down, so losing my footage really isn't an issue. Presently whatever video I'm recording is pretty boring stuff. All I'm seeing is the same old park that is wide open and there are no trees around. When I do start venturing out a little further I'll probably look into getting a couple of 32GB cards.

From the DJI Specs for P4:

Supported SD Cards Micro SD
Max capacity: 64 GB
Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94