Screech!! Needed....

Reaction score
This is pretty odd but work with me.... A local golf course has contacted me after seeing how Vancouver Airport is using a quad to scare the various geese and gulls away from the airport runways. They want to also use a quad to scare away their significant goose population. I've volunteered to work with them to investigate options. A camera won't be needed but good range and battery life would. Also ability to fly in higher wind and maybe a bit of moisture. What I really want though is an electronic "screech" that mimics the sounds of raptors, especially bald eagles which go after them here. The seagulls are especially freaked out by them, they taste like chicken! That's been soaking in brine....I've suggested they start out cheap with a Phantom and develop a protocol of training and conditions suitable for flying. That's all fine, good luck with it, but I really want that electronic squawker.
Anyone aware of these things?

Sounds like an interesting project thats for sure! I think its how you deliver a loud audible squawk on a quad platform that would be the issue. They are noisey beasts at the best of times and an amplified noise like that really needs to come from a horn style speaker to have any real affect.... not easy to find one that will fly under anything short of an S800 or Cinestar. Something like this: http://www.birdsoff.co.uk/bird-xpeller-sonic/ would work but at 1.25kg its not ideal.
The question then would be wether you can engineer something with similar components onto say a F550.

At airports they use starting pistols and farmers now use compressed air cannons to scare them off. Neither are great options (please don't send a quad up with a blank firing pistol strapped to it :lol: ).

Tricky. I can't help but think there are more reliable, cheaper ways to solve the problem than a quad personally (no where near as fun though :D )

The Phantom isn't quiet! It might work on it's own, although you may have to get too close for comfort. Apparently though, it can survive a birdstrike - can't remember who posted the video!! Trying to generate noise with a speaker is unlikely to be feasible for the weight. You might have more luck doing it mechanically / aerodynamically.

If you've got a spare set of props (or even just one or two spares) try roughing up the tips - that will probably increase the noise.

Another option would be to mount one of those ultrasonic deer scaring things on the side of one of the arms in the prop wash. About 80% of the way to the tip would probably be about the best spot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20