Scratch building

Reaction score
Has anybody put together a list of all the parts that would be needed to build a 'copter from the ground up? I have the Phantom 1.1.1 and love it, it's a blast, but I'd like to tinker and build my own. I see people referring to BTUs, CANs, PMUs and iOSDs. But I don't always get how each part connects to the next. I'm about to pull my Phantom apart to replace the shell, so I'll know what goes into the basic unit. But I was looking for a list that if you wanted to add FPV you need these parts, and not their brands, but one of these, two of those; that sort of thing. MAKE Magazine Vol.37 did a really basic one on page 34 so that's what's making me look for something that is a bit more expanded. If not I'll try to start putting something together and with some help others will be able to flesh it out a bit more.

I'll start off by saying I just got a DJI F550 ARF (Almost Ready To Fly) Kit and it came with:

The Body (6 Arms and 2 Center Boards)
6 Motors
6 ESC's.
2 Sets of Props. 1 Set 8.x inches the other 10.x inches

I had to purchase a NAZA (Controller)that came with a dji PMU (Power Management Kit) and External GPS Antenna / Compass. I also purchased a Landing Gear for it. You don't need a landing gear unless you want to hand anything off the bottom as it sits out of the box only about an inch off the ground.
Then you need a Transmitter and Receiver. I already had a Futaba T8J and an extra receiver to use.
Batteries. Quantity is up to you.

This is all that was needed to FLY the bird. Other things you may want to get are going to be based on your preference of products.
I'm an impatient person when it comes to getting things so the best advice I could give would be to read a lot and ask questions if your not sure about something, then buy.

Nice quick summary!

I still don't have all the knowledge I need to create my own contraption but I'm sure I'll be going that way soon. I was looking at a homebrew acrobat quad that seemed well within my capability... to make... not to fly...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4