scared to try motor reinforcement plates

Reaction score
I have never had any stress cracks on my P3s yet but was thinking of getting the motor reinforcement plates to prevent them, but afraid that installing them and over tightening the screws will cause them. Any thoughts?

you can use loctite 242 to lock screws.
The other day I've found an external crack, and decided to reinforce the shell.
Inside the shell in other arm was a little crack, not visible from outside.
You don't have to think if you will have cracks, the question is when... Maybe you have some inside and you don't know. So use reinforcement and take a look.

Sorry for my english.. Greetings from Chile.

I have never had any stress cracks on my P3s yet but was thinking of getting the motor reinforcement plates to prevent them, but afraid that installing them and over tightening the screws will cause them. Any thoughts?
1d8fb17b56a21e8a0727b2d6a09a0b24.jpg

Have the reinforcement plates since few months ago and not a single crack. The screws are lightly tight and have protected very well the bottom of the motor.

DO NOT USE LOCTITE 242 AROUND PLASTIC! See the "Not Recommended for" at the bottom of this link:

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives

Loctite does make one for use around plastics, #425, but it's expensive. No doubt DJI builds 'em cheap with the cracker stuff.
I'm cheking and I have this two thread locker. Few days ago I usted both and no problem. Both are made from metacrylate.
e21dc0665e6606e12d0a8871585c4d98.jpg
d2648f41db226350863e29b46676d10f.jpg

Reactions: epicdoom
DO NOT USE LOCTITE 242 AROUND PLASTIC! See the "Not Recommended for" at the bottom of this link:

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives

Loctite does make one for use around plastics, #425, but it's expensive. No doubt DJI builds 'em cheap with the cracker stuff.

AMEN to that. I was not aware of the damage the Loctite "blue" threadlock would cause until it was too late. Had to order yet another shell (#3). Never again.

AMEN to that. I was not aware of the damage the Loctite "blue" threadlock would cause until it was too late. Had to order yet another shell (#3). Never again.
Yip and any solvent based glue like ados,,dissolves the plastic :eek:wont do that again either

found a crack in my p3s less then a month of ownership used a tiny jeweler file in triangle shape files a V groove along the crack repaired with epoxy and sanded smooth installed these plates in and rechecked a month later no new cracks and existing crack still holding. with some Loctite products its not recommended for plastic 425 is what I use and is said to be plastic safe. My buddy used gasket sealer on his and they are holding very well with that product. I have in the past used nail polish but that can also be a problem with plastics the trick is to wait till it skins over and install the screw. one of the problems with these products is the mentality that more is better that's a false hope. There is no need to glob any of these products on the threads. a tiny drop then shake off the excess so its level with the threads is all you need.

let me explain what's happening for those who don't know. A screw has peaks and valleys a Nut also has them the screws peaks fit into the nuts valleys there is a tiny amount of space for fitment purposes between these peaks and valleys as they mesh together. when a product like Loctite is used it gets squeezed in the space between the peak and valley and it tries to squeeze out but cant so it takes the path of least resistance which it up the threads of the screw, so as an example a tiny drop on 4 threads will work its way up to cover 8 threads by the time the screw is tight.

here are the brackets I use the seller has them in bare aluminum also and in spite of some of the reviews the screws I got with mine were perfect length .https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LFF4LL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really like those, however I doubt they'll fit in the DJI Hardshell backpack without some modification of the inner lining of the foam.

here they are installed on my p34k so you can see they don't take up hardly any room maybe a couple MM's
20170928_191715.jpg
20170928_191731.jpg
20170905_210516.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
These look great. I would get some but I installed prop guards which mount in the same location and appear to be doing double duty as a prop guard and crack repair, though I don't think I have any cracks.

These look great. I would get some but I installed prop guards which mount in the same location and appear to be doing double duty as a prop guard and crack repair, though I don't think I have any cracks.
I had prop guards on this P34k when I bought it from its previous owner they were a pretty cruddy brand and when he installed them he ran the screws so deep in the motors they were getting blistering hot. I bought 4 new motors and while installing them found the crack between motor mount screws. so figured I'd fix that first and ordered the brackets. I think a good set of prop guards would have helped tremendously. she's flying very well now, happy I decided to buy it. I'd still like to have some prop guards on it especially when I take it to my hunting property. I've bumped a few branches and trimmed some leaves Flying it in the woods. lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20