Satellite Numbers

Reaction score
Since I am still waiting on my P3P to show up, I was replying to another thread and thought this might be a good thread to start for people to reply to. Namely, if you already have a P3P or P3A what is the maximum number of SATTELITES that you have seen show up on your screen. The maximum number I have had with my P2 is 12.

I understand that the P3's will log on to or communicate with both U.S. and Russian Satellites, if this is indeed the case, then there should be one hell of a difference in the number of Satellites that the new P3's lock on to. Come to think of it, I would imagine that most Russian Satellites are hovering over Russia which would then not add any more satellites to us in the U.S. But I remain curious on how many satellites are P3 owners seeing on their screen.

Thanks Guys.

Haven't flown much, but have seen 18.

Depends on a lot of conditions. Wind and height. And your location. I've got 24 once. Usual is 18 at 200 ft. Controller will tell you your in ATTI mode until you get 9 usually as your warming up the bird. Big diff from my P2+.

So to sum it up....gps lock is not an issue.
What i have noticed is that the compass is way more sensitive to magnetic interference. So less concerns about gps count and more concern of metallic objects imo.

I see 19-22 always. And i get GPS lock with 8.

I would imagine that most Russian Satellites are hovering over Russia which would then not add any more satellites to us in the U.S
The satellites aren't geo-stationary and focused on Russia. They orbit to provide global coverage.
Get the GPS Status app for Android and you can see how many are visible in your location at any time.
Here's a screen shot from it.
i-679FVcq-L.jpg

The Russian satellites are shown by square dots with US sats as circles.
Here there were 6 Russian sats in my sky and 11 US.
Because they are orbiting, these numbers change through the day.

Reactions: louforgiveno
I got my P3P a couple days ago it has the latest firmware (came with it), but I am not seeing satellite counts, only the bar graph? I was under the impression they didn't have counts when it first came out, but then a later firmware added them, am I missing something?

Separate question, where do you change the RTH setting from metric to imperial? I saw one setting which I have changed to imperial, and it does show my altitute.. etc. is feet, but the RTH settings are still showing meters?

The bar graph on the Pilot app will show the satellite counts, you're in ATTI mode until you get 8, which is no big deal anymore. Make sure you go in and put in a height in the RTH field. It is set to zero when you get it... me and my team like 50m, or 164 ft. That's plenty of height to clear any trees or power lines. Not for the city tho... and you shouldn't be flying there unless you have your 333 and a COA, and have notified the local FTO. As for Imperial vs Metric... it's your call. I went with metric for my PV+ for the longest time... then flew another bird and changed my mind. I use Imperial now, but some setting in Pilot will only be in meters... so... make sure you know the conversion rates. Hope this helps!

Follow up... our team flies... P3P's and Inspires now... as we shoot in professional grade. The P2v+ was great until the P3 appeared... thinking of selling it now... along with 5 batteries, a case, extra everything...lol

I got my P3P a couple days ago it has the latest firmware (came with it), but I am not seeing satellite counts, only the bar graph? I was under the impression they didn't have counts when it first came out, but then a later firmware added them, am I missing something?

Separate question, where do you change the RTH setting from metric to imperial? I saw one setting which I have changed to imperial, and it does show my altitute.. etc. is feet, but the RTH settings are still showing meters?

If you are using android, then you may of downloaded the wrong version (from the Play store). You need to get it from the official DJI.com site).

That's a sign that you are using the old version 1.0.10 from Google Play.
Get the up to date v.1.1.0 from DJI.com and you see the satellite count.
i-FJhvwz4-L.png

I usually fly with 14-16, on ground level.

I'm GPS geek (geocacher) - there're 24 GPS sats and 21 GLONASS sats (working). Theoretically, about 40 percent of sats are always on the ground (about 18). So 22 maybe almost the possible maximum. Also in some region of this world, we can observe more 1-4 WAAS, SBAS, QZSS (stationary sats sending D-GPS correction data, and it works also as one of GPS sat itself).
The biggest problem is, almost all the GPS/GLONASS chip (receiver) has only 24 channels. Even if more sats visible, only 24 can be received. There're not so many kinds of chips, and I don't know what's the GPS chip on P3, however.

Correction: I could find pics of P2 GPS chip, that's ublox NEO-6Q which has 50ch receiver. I don't know about P3 GPS chip, but if ublox series, seems like ublox 7 GPS/GLONASS/QZSS which has 56 channels (cold start 26/38 seconds, like Phantom 3 does).

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
If you are using android, then you may of downloaded the wrong version (from the Play store). You need to get it from the official DJI.com site).
That did it.. thank you. Play store didn't have the current version, so I pulled it from the DJI web site and now I am all good

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic