Sand or Dirt in a Motor

Bug

Reaction score
Good afternoon all. The other day brought out my Phantom and checking the drone was turning all the prop motors and ONE sounded like it had some sand or something , just turning it by hand . I turned it over and blew on the Motor . I started my drone to see if the motor would work and it started fine . BUT I am concerned . My question is has anyone ever had some sand or dirt get in a motor ? And what did you do to correct this Grind sound issue , as I said it sounds like there is some sand or dirt in the Motor ? Any comments would help .
Thank You stay safe
Douglas

Good afternoon all. The other day brought out my Phantom and checking the drone was turning all the prop motors and ONE sounded like it had some sand or something , just turning it by hand . I turned it over and blew on the Motor . I started my drone to see if the motor would work and it started fine . BUT I am concerned . My question is has anyone ever had some sand or dirt get in a motor ? And what did you do to correct this Grind sound issue , as I said it sounds like there is some sand or dirt in the Motor ? Any comments would help .
Thank You stay safe
Douglas
Has never happened to me but if it did, I would get a can of compressed air and give a few blasts with that little plastic tube that comes with it.

Reactions: Bug and Capt KO
I once had a screw come loose and stuck to the magnet in the motor. So as the motor turned the screw got moved around. I finally got it out but wouldn't fly with it in there obviously.. i guess what im saying is make sure its dirt or sand. Most motors are sealed or at least sealed enough dirt and sand shouldnt find its way into the internals of the motor. But a little compressed air from a computer cleaner that larbear360 mentioned goodluck

Reactions: Bug and Capt KO
One of my P4’s has a slight motor ‘grind’ also. Thought dirt but believe it is a bearing (sealed can't lube). Have a new motor but been flying it as-is for another year. Noticed the problem because of shaky take off and Landing while on the ground. That shake has since disappeared so I keep flying it, but with a little Pucker. ?
Still grinding a wee bit but I'm too lazy to replace. Recommend you fly low and slow until confidence returns.
Good luck

Reactions: Bug and PhoenixOne
Posted on your other thread until I realized it was the same as this one. Good luck fly safe

I once had a screw come loose and stuck to the magnet in the motor. So as the motor turned the screw got moved around. I finally got it out but wouldn't fly with it in there obviously.. i guess what im saying is make sure its dirt or sand. Most motors are sealed or at least sealed enough dirt and sand shouldnt find its way into the internals of the motor. But a little compressed air from a computer cleaner that larbear360 mentioned goodluck
Thank you for the responce and your story , You and Larbear 360 's idea with the air is perfect . Thanks you Guys
Douglas

Reactions: PhoenixOne
One of my P4’s has a slight motor ‘grind’ also. Thought dirt but believe it is a bearing (sealed can't lube). Have a new motor but been flying it as-is for another year. Noticed the problem because of shaky take off and Landing while on the ground. That shake has since disappeared so I keep flying it, but with a little Pucker. ?
Still grinding a wee bit but I'm too lazy to replace. Recommend you fly low and slow until confidence returns.
Good luck
Thank you CaptKO , wil do Low and Slow she will be , and will keep you posted !!!
Cheers Douglas

If not too late I'd suggest turning the drone upside down and appying a vacuum cleaner nozzle to the offending motor in such a way that air is sucked through the motor. If you have blown air through the motor then apply the vacuum cleaner to the ventilation slots in the relevant arm whilst 'rolling' the drone about that arm so as to suck any dirt etc. out of the shell.
Also, with care, you may be able to get a sliver of thin paper between the outer edge of the coils and the inner surface of the rotor's magnets, if so slowly turn the rotor and see if the paper catches anywhere. Just done this with a loose old style motor and a sliver cut from a Tesco till receipt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.