San Juan River at Lime Ridge, San Juan County, Utah

Reaction score
I love the rock strata and the river meanders in this shot. HDR. Medium-resolution version.
LimeRidge_Overhead_HDRb_med_WM.jpg

As Erised said, you are lucky to have that scenery to photograph. I live in Flanders, Belgium, and struggle to find anything (legal) to take pictures of.

That is a fantastic picture!

Reactions: furthertofly
Great photo. I rafted and camped along the San Juan River for 6 days in June this year. Got some video of the Mexican Hat formation.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great photo. I rafted and camped along the San Juan River for 6 days in June this year. Got some video of the Mexican Hat formation.

Nice, the Mexican Hat footage looks like it was fairly early in the day, perhaps around 10AM -- I have drone video later in the day with the Sun in the west. My video was shot using my first drone, the DJI Inspire 1 Pro.

Brian

Reactions: KentA
Nice, the Mexican Hat footage looks like it was fairly early in the day, perhaps around 10AM -- I have drone video later in the day with the Sun in the west. My video was shot using my first drone, the DJI Inspire 1 Pro.

Brian
Nicely done.Love the shadows.
Yes my attempt was early in the morning. I had launched from way up stream on the other side of the river where we had camped. I was at the limit of my ability to see the aircraft (Typhoon H.) I had also reached my prreset altitude limit. I was concerned about flying behind the ridge or the rock feature and losing signal. This thing was taller and farther away than I realized.

Yes. Launched at about 37.2269644,-109.7504063.

OK, that's pretty near where I was thinking -- that stretch of the San Juan and area of Utah is one of my favorite.

I'm planning to head back in that general area in a few weeks. I'd love to be able to fly my P4P near the bridge over the Colorado on US-95 but the airport at Hite complicates things not to mention it being part of the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. That are is stunning but sadly off limits.

Brian

I explored a bit more behind the Mexican Hat formation and along the San Juan river. There's a number of interesting features in the rock and sandstone on the northeast side of the river including hoodoo like formations and other formations that are very chevron like. Again, this is one of my favorite places...

Brian

I explored a bit more behind the Mexican Hat formation and along the San Juan river. There's a number of interesting features in the rock and sandstone on the northeast side of the river including hoodoo like formations and other formations that are very chevron like. Again, this is one of my favorite places...

Brian
Here's how those chevron formations form: The area starts out as more-or-less flat, multi-layered sedimentary rock (sandstone, in this case). A force underneath such as rising igneous rock or expanding salt beds (common in the southwest US) slowly forces up a dome-shaped rise called an anticline. As the dome rises, erosion forms gullies and washes along the edges, and as the sedimentary layers (no longer flat, now tilted up 30 degrees or so) erode at different rates according to their hardness, these chevron shapes form. If you look at the horizon behind the chevrons the dome shape is quite apparent.

This geologic process is common all over the southwest, and indeed the world. Similar formations in the area include the San Rafael Swell, Dinorsaur National Monument, Navajo Mtn. near Lake Powell. One of the reasons they are so visible here is the dry climate and absence of vegetation to cover them up.

I'm planning to head back in that general area in a few weeks. I'd love to be able to fly my P4P near the bridge over the Colorado on US-95 but the airport at Hite complicates things not to mention it being part of the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. That are is stunning but sadly off limits.

Interesting and I did not know that. I did not know that Glen National Rec Area extended all the way up to Hite and did not realize that the NPS was in charge of the land (I did not do much checking on management as I did not think it went up that far. Glen Canyon National Rec Area is 1.25 million acers and spans from AZ up to Central UT (I'm guessing about 400 miles).

Maps - Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

I'm a big advocate of not flying drones in National Parks but I must say, if you are hundreds of miles from anything and anyone... I don't see the big issue. Do I care if someone flies a drone in the middle of some place like Zion? Yes... as the sight and sound detracts from nature. However, go to the southern boarder of Zion and I'd not care so much.

I must say, I'm a little embarrassed that I did not know this. However, Hite is about 50 miles from any town/city. It's truly out in the middle of nothing.

DJI_0027.JPG

Here is the airport (terminal)

upload_2017-10-2_10-51-16.png

No... I'm not making that up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic