Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be picking up a P3P in a few days and flying directly north to a remote area of Canada there is WIFI but no cellular coverage. The tablet I have is a Note 8.0 It is the GT-N5110 WIFI only version running 4.4.2 Kitkat. I am hoping this will work well and also fit the tablet mount on the cotroller, it is 210.8 x 135.9 x 8 mm (8.30 x 5.35 x 0.31 in). If this turns out to be a bad idea there is a chance I can get my hands on a Nexus 7 2nd gen, but I was hoping the Note 8.0 would work as I have already put out a ton of cash for this project.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_8_0-5252.php

But you should go for the one which is upgrableable to lollypop as in lollypop there's much improvement in things and specially the battery timings improve as compare to kitkat.

Old osc
samish idea, I bought a Galaxy tabs 10.5 (bigger is always better) Flys the Phantom, but I had to modify the holder, Then found the controller was far too unsteady, paying more attention to balanceing the controller than I should..two minor crashes. Then a crash which found one motor failed to start.Came in read of all horror stories about melted boards. Tried P3 an hour later..perfect. I guess the P 3 has learned.
I bought a nexus 7 (2nd gen) found the pilot app completely different to use Controller really stable it functions as one unit if you follow me. My stepson was the software architect for Bluetooth..He recons the pilot app is tailored for pure Android (nexus etc) and that Samsung (as has Amazon) have "Tweeked ((hacker for messed with))Android to suit their apps and that the DJI pilot app needs pure android to be perfect.
(Bear in mind my only piloting has been a 37 meter Trawler I had 1/2 shares in)

Thanks guys,

olesc I am a quartermaster on Coast Guard ships, the Mate or the Captain gives me commands to steer. I guess if my tablet is only upgradable to Kitkat then I will be better off using my S5 phone or getting that Nexus 7 2nd gen.

Goodman drpower,
My Skipper/partner learnt sea by escaping from the orphanage at 13, borrowing a boat and surviving 60 years.When we did some tricky stuff he would call "left down a bit", (and because I am l/r dyslexic would murmur "other left"
Oldosc
PS sorry to ramble..meant to say care when flying in a bit of a gust, using the return home work but last time I tried Drone was off base by about 5 meters(landed on sauna roof and fell over, was ok but bit OH?.

I have been using a Galaxy Note 8 for the first couple of flights with my P3P. It works fine. Video is smooth with it, though I haven't flown terribly far away yet...max of about 600 ft or so. Screen brightness is fair, though I have to turn brightness all the way up to see it well when outside.

And therein lies the problem. The battery life on the Note 8 is pretty atrocious with screen brightness maxed. I charged everything to full (including the tablet) and powered everything up. Ran two flights, one about 6 minutes, one about 9 minutes. By the time that was complete, my P3P battery was just under 30%, while the Note 8 battery was at 15%. FIFTEEN PERCENT. Full brightness plus live video destroys the battery on the Note 8. If you have more than one P3P battery, forget it. Your tab will be long dead before you are done flying...at least if doing so in broad daylight. Not sure a sunshade would help much...I was under one of those portable canopies when flying so I was actually in the shade already. I am picking a wifi/lte ipad Air 2 today and will be testing it. Will use my Note 8 as a backup or for flying in the evening.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: drpower

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic