Same 'ol DJI

Reaction score
Bought a 7.8 inch Crystal Sky monitor to clean up the rather unwieldy stack of an iPad and an external 1000 nit monitor. I had previously purchased a small Crystal Sky to go with my Mavic - worked fine, is well behaved and has had no problems.

I had thought that DJI's 'teething' problems perhaps were behind them.

Sigh.

First off, the unit doesn't respond to the touch screen. Turn on / off / reboot - no help. DJI support - no help (just send it in....). Cruising the forums didn't bring this up as a recurrent problem. Hooked up a USB mouse - well, that worked. Updated the firmware - now that works.

Tried to hook it up to my P3P. Insists that it's an Inspire. That would be a nice upgrade but careful inspection of the craft reveals, alas, that it's still a P3P. Reboot again. DJI support again. Forums - well, there is a thread where something similar happened to an Android tablet. Hmm.. The fix was to force the USB to the Go App.

No USB setting in on the CS, decided to try an external USB cable (as opposed to the one attached to the mount. Poof. The USB dialog pops up, I can select the Go app and wonders upon wonders, I'm back to a P3P.

Thanks Msinger for that bit of advice and in this world of dramatic change, I suppose I should draw comfort in the fact that DJI *still* can't document something to save their life.

Last edited:
Ordered mine from Amazon, same price. If it goes belly up, or a problem in the first week or so, I can send it back. Won't receive the 7.8" until next Wed though.....we'll see.......

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Just received a brand new, 7.8" yesterday. First issue was the maddening issue of not being able to log in to my DJI account, "network unavailable error id:00" DJI support continuously blames my network, despite the fact that my network has several other devices, working with no issue. They actually told me to remove every other device, and try it with just the CS connected. I was actually able to abide their lunacy, and go one better. I have a Verizon MiFi cellular hostspot. Completely different network, only one device. You guessed it, same issue. The way they have it set up, if you can't log on to your DJI account, you are dead in the water, stuck on that screen, you go no further.

So it was obvious that I wouldn't be using it before it got dark yesterday. I switched back to my home network, and tried again to no avail. A couple hours later I kept trying, and eventually I must have been holding my chin just right, and it finally logged in! Eureka, my troubles have just begun!

At the insistence of DJI "support" I updated to the latest firmware. Upon going on a short flight I found that there is sometimes lag when I press record (on the screen or remote) and intermittently the recordings randomly stop on their own, along with some strange video behavior. It does it with several different SD cards, and on 2 different P3P systems. Eveything continues to work fine with my iPad and iPhone.

Just wanted to update my post, on the chance that this information may help someone struggling with the same issue I was having, where the video recording would stop by itself. I was trying everything I could think of. Finally I tried "reset camera" from the app. This seems to have resolved my issue. It is now recording as it should. The only setting I ever recall changing was changing from .mov to .mpg. Funny that the iPad had no issue with the camera set as it was before I reset it.

I guess it could be that the CS has an issue recording .mpg. I'm just glad it's working, I really wanted to keep it.

Reactions: 3putts
Just wanted to update my post, on the chance that this information may help someone struggling with the same issue I was having, where the video recording would stop by itself. I was trying everything I could think of. Finally I tried "reset camera" from the app. This seems to have resolved my issue. It is now recording as it should. The only setting I ever recall changing was changing from .mov to .mpg. Funny that the iPad had no issue with the camera set as it was before I reset it.

I guess it could be that the CS has an issue recording .mpg. I'm just glad it's working, I really wanted to keep it.

Glad it's working for you, thanks for the update. Received my 7.8 yesterday, mounting bracket today. Have not been able to fly, but all systems are go, so it seems. My issue is that once the Crystalsky is mounted, I am unable to remove it without unscrewing the two screws that hold the adapter to the tablet. Loosening the lever will not release the monitor. Once the CS is off, then the adapter will release. The C/S and R/C will not fit in my case, obviously. As with every DJI product I have bought, the documentation is TERRIBLE.....online not much better or non-existent.

Reactions: dmiles
U
Glad it's working for you, thanks for the update. Received my 7.8 yesterday, mounting bracket today. Have not been able to fly, but all systems are go, so it seems. My issue is that once the Crystalsky is mounted, I am unable to remove it without unscrewing the two screws that hold the adapter to the tablet. Loosening the lever will not release the monitor. Once the CS is off, then the adapter will release. The C/S and R/C will not fit in my case, obviously. As with every DJI product I have bought, the documentation is TERRIBLE.....online not much better or non-existent.

Update: Found the Crystalsky just fit too tightly on the mounting bracket. I had received a response from DJI Support very quickly, just about the time I found that by pulling considerably harder on the mount/monitor (I guess I was afraid of breaking something), it would release. Took it to the open field and the monitor worked flawlessly with my P3P. As there were very strong winds coming off the ocean, the flight was short. Love the fact that I can now see the monitor in bright sunlight!

U

Update: Found the Crystalsky just fit too tightly on the mounting bracket. I had received a response from DJI Support very quickly, just about the time I found that by pulling considerably harder on the mount/monitor (I guess I was afraid of breaking something), it would release. Took it to the open field and the monitor worked flawlessly with my P3P. As there were very strong winds coming off the ocean, the flight was short. Love the fact that I can now see the monitor in bright sunlight!

Good, glad to hear it. I like mine as well. I also like that when I got home yesterday, I just put the SD card with my video in it, and was able to watch the video on it. I did have what appears to be yet another bug. When I tried to edit the video on the device, I got a "video file not supported" error. That's not that big a deal for me, as I didn't plan on editing much video on it anyway, at least not right away. Hopefully by the time I need it, they will have that fixed.

Being able to use the HDMI out to a 4K flat screen was pretty cool as well. It makes things much easier, and these are features that not everyone thinks of when they are considering whether or not to buy it. All in all, this thing obviously has some bugs, but I think it's almost worth the price. And my son is happy that we are no longer going to argue over the iPad!

Got my second one. Does work much better, I can use the built in USB cable although I doubt it will last long given where they've decided to route it. It's nice - much more compact than the iPad mini / external 1000 nit monitor that I've been using but it's not quite there yet. It isn't any lighter - they built this thing heavy (which is probably good).

The digitizer is slow and inconsistent. Not a big deal since I don't tend to use it while flying but much, much slower response than an old iPad mini 4 that I typically use.

Well see how this one hold up. I think this will be a very typical DJI product. Pretty weak starting out of the gate then improves as they get more experience with it. Problem is, they're asking a pretty price to be a beta tester....

Reactions: dmiles

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164