Safe descent speed for straight-down descent

risk of CSC to come down... if the phantom stays somewhat verticle... the propellers will spend the opposite direction from wind rushing up through them... the propellers could unscrew and come off

mendezl said:
risk of CSC to come down... if the phantom stays somewhat verticle... the propellers will spend the opposite direction from wind rushing up through them... the propellers could unscrew and come off

Absolutely, but if I was CSCing from 400 feet (not normally permissable to fly above that in the UK) to avoid a helicopter, I would not be expecting to be able to prevent the quad hitting the ground hard anyway - the propellers would not be an issue :(

Wait I'm confused. So even descending naturally, props could come off? I never really 'tightened' my propellers because I thought they self tighten during flight?

Prime12 said:
Wait I'm confused. So even descending naturally, props could come off? I never really 'tightened' my propellers because I thought they self tighten during flight?

They are tight. As long as the motors are going in the right direction :lol:

Prime12 said:
No .. while your motors are spinning you don't have to worry about that.
Mendezel was suggesting that IF you shut down your motors in flight and IF your Phantom stayed upright
PERHAPS airflow over the stopped propellers MIGHT unscrew them.

That's hypothetical but if you shut down your motors in normal flight, whether your props would unscrew or not would be immaterial because you'd have to have more height than usual flight to be able to fall, restart and recover.

wkf94025 said:
dirkclod said:
Only one way to know for sure bro ;) Report back :D

Manual mode descent at 10m/sec is a LOT of fun and less risky than CSC. Never tried CSC and can't imagine why I ever would.

I have also tried manual mode, it comes down extremely fast if you're not on the throttle. But quad will recover quickly when switching back to GPS mode. Much safer than CSC I believe.
BTW manual mode was the only time I managed to do loops with my Vision+ ehehe

phalcon51 said:
Any idea what app this person is using?
He didn't appear to be using his brain.
As for his flying machine, the video is labelled DJI Phantom Vision falls from 6000 ft.

phalcon51 said:
Looks interesting.
Shows what a complete dickhead the pilot was to ascend @ 10-15 mph for 8 minutes until he's at 30% battery and then start descending @ 1-3 mph (about half normal slow descent speed). It would take about 15 minutes to descend at full descent speed from that height and this idiot is surprised when he gets to 15% and he's still up high. Five star battery management1

The one thing he has contributed to Phantom flight knowledge is that he has shown that terminal velocity for a falling Phantom varies between 30-35 mph.

phalcon51 said:
Looks interesting.

The one thing he has contributed to Phantom flight knowledge is that he has shown that terminal velocity for a falling Phantom varies between 30-35 mph.[/quote]

I'm not sure every Phantom will drop at this speed. This Phantom seemed to go right into autorotation which slowed it's descent considerably. However some quads will tumble and then they drop like rocks from the sky.

I'm just glad this guy isn't my neighbour! :shock:

Meta4,

I agree with what you've said. It definitely showed a lack of planning and safety on his part. To do this over a residential area was especially poor judgement.

However, that being said I'm still curious about the app he's using. I haven't seen this one before and appears made for the Phantom. Anyone have a clue?

Gary

did manula mode for first time today. It was awesome.

I took all the fpv gear off, also took off the gimbal and gopro just in case I crashed it. Flew really well, even did a few loops. Only did manual up 200 - 300 feet. Super easy to simply flip to GPS if you get in trouble. In Manual mode you can fly up insanly fast, maybe 12m/s im guessing, the motors really make a whole new noise spinning fast.

I also came down very quick. Put in in manual and put throttle close to maybe 10%, the phantom stayed mostly horizontal. Dropped 300 feet in a handfull of seconds. Without all the fpv gear and extra weight it did not go into VRS.

I am hooked. Now I have to learn to come down fast in a controlled diagonal way with extra weight from gimbal and gopro, more risk of VRS.

The loops that I did had a very wide circumference like 100feet, now to learn to make them tighter. Might put just the gopro directly to phantom to get some video and keep the weight down.

phantom65 said:
Méndezl.......that sucks big time, looks like I'm going to have to try manual

But not near any bodies of water! :lol:

PS - mendezl, sorry about the crash. Were you able to recover it?

Living in northern bc coast, over water is a fair portion of where I where I fly, any tips on manual flying?

phantom65 said:
Living in northern bc coast, over water is a fair portion of where I where I fly, any tips on manual flying?
Best advice is probably .. Don't !
Why would you want to be flying in Manual mode?
The usual reason is for thrillseeking.

phalcon51 said:
phantom65 said:
Méndezl.......that sucks big time, looks like I'm going to have to try manual

But not near any bodies of water! :lol:

PS - mendezl, sorry about the crash. Were you able to recover it?

Crashed about 200 feet out from the shoreline... I spent all day Sunday dredging the water with a large rake, water is only 4 feet deep in this area. After 7 hours... freaking found it!
The Phantom is totally gone (spent 24 hrs in brakish water) but the gopro was in waterproof housing completely dry.... and SD card intact... the video http://youtu.be/IXJfbjRdOBE

I'd have to say, build a rapid little 250 quad for laughs and keep the phantom for stability ?

phantom65 said:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20