Rustoleum paint ruins DJI Phantom drone finish

Reaction score
Watch out! Rust-Oleum spray paint will chemically react to it's own brand of paint, ruining the finish and possibly the surface.

You can see the paint react here:

I painted a plastic surface with Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x Gloss Spray, Gloss Sun Yellow, masked a portion, then painted Rust-Oleum Universal Flat Metallic Spray Paint, Soft Iron over the top. In the places where Universal covered the Painters Touch a chemical reaction caused extreme paint cracking and liquefied the yellow paint underneath.

Previously the Painter's Touch coat was very stable, not scraping off and not removed by paint thinner. The yellow paint had cured for about 4 days.

A light coat of Rust-Oleum Universal ruined both paints, able to be removed down to the plastic surface with a dry rag.

Attachments

• drone-paint.jpg
    drone-paint.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 648
Looks like what we called alligator skin. Used to work in the university paint shop in another life. My experience tells me there is oil on the plastic. Even skin oil is enough....

For grins try washing with dish soap use paper towel to handle and allow to dry. Also may want to try Krylon for plastic.
That's my two cents.

Reactions: Iosac
Thanks dbeavers. In the end I actually used the Rustoleum Universal AS a paint remover to take loosen the rest of the yellow -- a holy mess of a couple hours of cleanup and paint thinner to completely clean. Used Krylon later and no problems.

I really think there is some weird reaction between these two types of Rustoleum paints. I'll never buy that brand again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl