Nitrocellulose paint and Phantom plastic a safe combination?

Reaction score
I want to paint two of my prop guards in dayglo orange. When I was at a store for something else I noticed they sold cans of spray paint and also the fluorescent orange kind so I grabbed a can. At home I noticed it is nitrocellulose based. This is a very volatile and very quick drying but also rather aggressive solvent that for instance doesn't combine well with certain other paints if you spray over those paints causing the old layer to detach from the surface it was used on. It also turns out a primer layer is prescribed. This primer is also nitrocellulose based.

Does anyone know what kind of plastic the Phantoms, and I assume also the prop guards, are made of?

Have people used nitrocellulose paint on Phantom shells or prop guards? Any reason to suspect the plastic could be adversely affected by the nitrocellulose solvent?

Does anyone know of a spray primer which itself is not NC based but which you can paint over with NC based paint?

I just don't want to discover the hard way I shouldn't have used NC based paint on my prop guards.

Re: Nitrocellulose paint and Phantom plastic a safe combinat

High time for a little bump methinks. :)

Surely someone must have something relevant to report about this. Right?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj