Run-in with Neighbor

Just ignore her. Some people just can't mind their own business.

Good to get on with the next-doors, as they say.

Going to have to agree 100% with this one. I'd go back and speak with her - try to smooth things out. Tell her that you won't be flying over their property. I'd also take back what you said about the dog, LOL. I mean, I get it man - you were annoyed. Ask her what her main concerns are... If safety is one of them, I'd explain about the Fail Safe RTH feature and whatnot.

It's just way better to be on good terms and try to calmly EDUCATE her and others. Leaving her pissed off...that's just not going to help the perception of drones at all. Pretty soon she's telling a bunch of other neighbors that you're spying on everyone. I would never want to be in that situation. From there it doesn't get better and you're fighting an uphill battle.

Poo in the letterbox is a good backup plan if all else fails, haha.

I've had my drone for a few months now. I always go to the park or to the beach during vacation to fly. We recently had a snowstorm so I decided to shoot some vids around my house and neighborhood at around 100' or so.

Two weeks later, my neighbor across the street flew his drone as I was washing my car. He's a car guy too so I understand why he would hover his drone on top of me and around my house and flew by my street a few times. I guess is he was about 80-90' high. And honestly, it was annoying. I know he can't see my face or anything at that height because I have a drone myself and as a serious photography nut, I know what it's capable of shooting.

However, the buzzing sound of our drone is indeed very load and annoying. I could understand why non-owners and elderly people can get paranoid about it.

I think flying at least 200-300' around residential areas would be ideal just to give courtesy to others.

Just smile, be friendly. Tell her to call the cops if she feels the need to.
Then go fly all you want legally.

I had some issues with a neighbor as well, but have since remedied the situation. Also added the support of the rest of the housing edition that may have also had an issue when seeing my aircraft in the sky.

I did this by forming our neighborhood aerial crime watch committee. This really became golden after speaking with one of the neighbors and hearing a few details about when someone stole some things from their garage 3 weeks earlier. Just so happened I was flight testing and while flying out of the neighborhood I had video of the truck leaving their driveway that day. I edited the video down to what was of concern to them and gave them a copy to show the police.

I haven't heard anymore about if anyone has been caught or not. But as I mentioned the neighborhood in general is in full support of me flying in our area now. A couple of the neighbor's have stopped to talk while I have been out in the front of the house. They ask questions about my a/c which I don't mind answering.

You would be surprised how peoples opinion of things change once they see that not everything is as it appears sometimes.

I say go have a nice chat with her. Show her the video from it. Try to educate her on what is and is not possible from it and perhaps a bit of where her wishes end and public space begins.

If not, tip your hat, tell her to have a nice day and go back to flying as you were. You didn't do anything wrong IMHO.

Ack, forgot to ask. So, what was the final resolution with your neighbor? Yall work it out?

For my 2pence worth, as we say in UK. You have to live with neighbours and she probably had reason to knock on your door. Nothing to do with legal or not. She obviously is worried about something. Confrontation is not the way to go really. Put your footage on a disc. Make her or buy her a treat, bar of chocolate. Just knock on her door and say look "I think we got off on the wrong foot the other day. Your obviously worried about something so can I show you the film I took the other day to try and re-assure you?" Just tell her its less intrusive than someone driving past her house in a car. The car is 30 feet away, your drone is 100 feet away. They can look into her windows and unless she has windows in her roof ............. I am sure you get the idea.

Why not go up VERY high and take a photo of her house and print it out for her. If she objects just point out the Google have been doing it for years etc.

Reactions: daveleeds
I was "scolded" last week while flying my P3 at a very low altitude, mostly due to the amount of trees, in a nature park where I had already cleared permission by the local PD to fly there. The intention of the flight was to capture some footage of the guy/dog teams in our service dog training program so I can help evaluate them better. It's a non profit 501c3 program and I needed to capture about 10 minutes or so of footage. So this lady comes down a path and over to the edge of the area where we train several times a week in this park, yelling at me about how I am disrupting nature and how unsafe it is to fly it in the park. I pointed to the large birthday party that was being held up the hill for some kid that was screaming and losing latex balloons everywhere, but yet I am disrupting the nature in the park?
I tried to politely explain what we were doing and that we were a non profit org that helps our military veterans for free and I had already cleared the flight with local PD and she told me I was an idiot and had no right to disrupt nature in such a lovely park. Then her dog took a big dump and she left it and didn't pick it up. Some people just need to complain about something to make themselves feel superior.

Reactions: mrcrane2u
I told my neighbors that if they see a drone flying over their place, it is mine and I'm not spying on them, but flying to the woods and fields beyond. They were intrigued and wanted a demonstration. Within and hour they had a P3A of their own on order.

Reactions: steveeds
May I suggest a swift karate chop to the throat?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic