RF-V16 SIM with 7 Eleven Speakout - Canada

Reaction score
So, I got a SIM (no data) from 7-11, activated it, inserted it into the v16 and voila...... works like a charm. I can text it, call it and it responds as expected. Here is my problem......

Even though everything is working on the RF-V16 side, my 7 Eleven account will not display anything regarding usage because I can not complete the setup. When I click on "My Account" I am directed to a page with "Validate Your SpeakOut Phone Number" which generates a text message, sends a code to my number which I must re-enter on this same page. Given the text is sent to the V16, I never see the code and hence cant complete registration.

I wrote 7-Eleven support but all they tell me is to get a device on which I can receive and read the text message to complete the setup. Great... Any old phone I have is locked to a network (i.e. Telus).

I know that most if not all Canadians using the RF-V16 tracker are using a 7-Eleven SIM card. How did you manage to validate your SpeakOut Number???

Hi, I'm looking at this tracker now. Did you figure out how to register the SIM card? Will any pay as you go work? I was looking at a Trackimo but the 3G version is too rich for my blood.

Hi, I'm looking at this tracker now. Did you figure out how to register the SIM card? Will any pay as you go work? I was looking at a Trackimo but the 3G version is too rich for my blood.
As far as I know, only the Seven11 sim card works. Sim Cards (Rogers is the only carrier with 2G)
The card is $10 + a $25 basic plan (Data not required) which is good for 360 days.Order it online and they will ship it to you. Once you get it, activate the sim online and they give you a phone number The problem is to finish setup of your account 7/11 sends you a text to which you must respond from the number they just gave you. So you need a cell phone into which you put your sim and use this device to respond. This cell must be locked (or at least not locked to any other carrier) to Rogers. I had a cell from 2004 locked to Rogers. One time activation so I wont need that phone again.. Once you respond you can remove the sim and insert it into the tracker.

Biggest problem is Rogers. I live just on the edge of their network and get really lousy reception. If you dont have that problem than the above setup is the way to go. Cheap...... If I had to do it again I would go for the Trackimo 3G option. Yup, its pricy but it will work regardless of the carrier. I get great Bell/Telus and AT&T where I live. Rogers is the only odd man out :(

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the Trackimo but the 3G version is quite a bit more expensive than the older 2G version. Not too sure how long we'll have 2G in Canada either. I wish the exchange rate was better!

Yeah When I got my tracker the Trackimo 3G wasnt available yet or I wasnt aware of it. The 2G version is not much better than what I have.

As far as I know, only the Seven11 sim card works. Sim Cards (Rogers is the only carrier with 2G)
The card is $10 + a $25 basic plan (Data not required) which is good for 360 days.Order it online and they will ship it to you. Once you get it, activate the sim online and they give you a phone number The problem is to finish setup of your account 7/11 sends you a text to which you must respond from the number they just gave you. So you need a cell phone into which you put your sim and use this device to respond. This cell must be locked (or at least not locked to any other carrier) to Rogers. I had a cell from 2004 locked to Rogers. One time activation so I wont need that phone again.. Once you respond you can remove the sim and insert it into the tracker.

Biggest problem is Rogers. I live just on the edge of their network and get really lousy reception. If you dont have that problem than the above setup is the way to go. Cheap...... If I had to do it again I would go for the Trackimo 3G option. Yup, its pricy but it will work regardless of the carrier. I get great Bell/Telus and AT&T where I live. Rogers is the only odd man out :(

Sorry I was on the 7-11 site but only saw monthly plans. Is what you have a grandfathered plan?

Thanks for all your time. I'm just trying to figure out if getting this is worth it now. I'm not too sure it'll work anymore whenever they phase out 2G here in Canada. Any thoughts on this? I heard they are supposed to be coming out with a 3G version but I haven't been able to find anything yet.

Thanks for all your time. I'm just trying to figure out if getting this is worth it now. I'm not too sure it'll work anymore whenever they phase out 2G here in Canada. Any thoughts on this? I heard they are supposed to be coming out with a 3G version but I haven't been able to find anything yet.
Havent heard about any plans/timeframe by Rogers to phase out 2G but its inevitable. That said, even with a 3G version the only affordable option is 7/11 because of the 365 days expiry time. Bell cheapest rates is $15 per month. Yeah, they let you carry surplus over when you renew the plan each month but what good does that do??

Like I said... If I were to do it all again I would go with Trackimo. The Rf-V16 is great and provides very accurate locations when it works (due to poor cell coverage). With the trackimo all cell providers are at your disposal. When 2G shutsdown here, I will not be buying the 3G version because the pay as you go plans from anyone other than 7/11 are simply too costly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav