Return to home warning

I'm not sure where the confusion is still at. It's obvious that you are flying in controlled airspace D,or C most likely. If they do not have LAANC, you will have to apply for authorization directly from the FAA. That is about as plain and simply of an answer that you can get. The days of calling the tower are going away (unless you are calling to inform them of your flights) I do it all the time. The first time I called I gave them my authorization info from the FAA (my area does not have LAANC yet) I have FAA approve clearances for a local airport and a military base, authorization for the military base has the tower number for me to call. I went through airport operations main office to get the number for the civilian airport.

Okay, thank you for your response. I was just kind of confused because it said I'm good to fly, but then it tells me I need authorization. I think maybe I can try to send them a letter of understanding. Because it's a park and I fly there two-three times a week have done so since 2016, this is where I go to practice, and a lot of times, I'm doing low-level stuff with traffic cones and no more than 5 or 10 ft. In the old days where you would have to call the tower they never told me no and it wasn't until I got the Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 I started seeing the problem. I want to represent the drone community in a positive way.
At the same time if there's a manned aircraft flying to the park at 10 ft they probably have more problems than my drone. I'm not exactly sure who to write to. I appreciate all of you for your help and I'm really happy that I found this group of people

Reactions: KachemakDiver
It would be much better for drone flyers if there would be some altitude limits (20 m or so) and if you stay within no autorizations or other administrative actions would be necessary. I think that so close to the ground no manned aircraft can fly unless you are directly on a runway.

Reactions: Cliff 2020
It would be much better for drone flyers if there would be some altitude limits (20 m or so) and if you stay within no autorizations or other administrative actions would be necessary. I think that so close to the ground no manned aircraft can fly unless you are directly on a runway.
I guess you never flown around helicopters

Reactions: R Martin
I think you are overreacting. I have no intention to fly out of regulations and never did. I'm just practical. Nobody would call authorities for flying to about 20 m on it's own yard. Even some trees are higher than that. The pilot of manned craft who fly around tree tops must be completely irresponsible. Helicopters always fly higher than 120 m (at least by us, maybe in USA is different) unless they are on a mission just around where you are. But you'll clearly see and hear them and nobody would be so stupid to fly around the helicopter.

I think you are overreacting. I have no intention to fly out of regulations and never did. I'm just practical. Nobody would call authorities for flying to about 20 m on it's own yard. Even some trees are higher than that. The pilot of manned craft who fly around tree tops must be completely irresponsible. Helicopters always fly higher than 120 m (at least by us, maybe in USA is different) unless they are on a mission just around where you are. But you'll clearly see and hear them and nobody would be so stupid to fly around the helicopter.
The rules are the rules CAA or FAA, I tell people the same until you are in the position to make changes to the rules/ways things are done you need to follow the rules under those that are in charge, like them or not.

It was just discussion or maybe this is not allowed about the rules? My personal opinion has nothing to do with the rules!

Reactions: Cliff 2020
It was just discussion or maybe this is not allowed about the rules? My personal opinion has nothing to do with the rules!
Ok. I can’t resist jumping back in here. I guess sort of in Andy’s defense. I took his comments as a wish list item for how rules may be changed to be more accommodating to low level flight in otherwise restricted airspace. It’s probably fair game to agree or disagree with his proposal. But I didn’t take it as him wanting to circumvent the rules. Just change them.

Yeah we can argue that posting our wishes here won’t get anything changed. But what fun is that. ;)

Ok. I can’t resist jumping back in here. I guess sort of in Andy’s defense. I took his comments as a wish list item for how rules may be changed to be more accommodating to low level flight in otherwise restricted airspace. It’s probably fair game to agree or disagree with his proposal. But I didn’t take it as him wanting to circumvent the rules. Just change them.

Yeah we can argue that posting our wishes here won’t get anything changed. But what fun is that. ;)
Thanks!

Reactions: R Martin
Maybe I missed a post or something? I didn’t see Cliff2020 talk about flying up and down runways or getting planes put into a holding pattern. Or any such seemingly exaggerated assertions. Again if I missed a post I apologize. But as I’m sure you know it used to be SOP to call a tower to notify (not actually permission) to fly within certain limits of the airfield or airport. Not just for “up and down a runway” nor to have manned air traffic put in a holding pattern. This was the case before LAANC - which I’m pretty sure you’d be aware of. So, again, I’m not sure if I missed a comment indicating that Cliff is flying up and down runways.
I fly my P4P, it's under 50ft. alt. looking for deer tracks and good fishing spots and calling a busy air traffic controller for permission to do that struck me as some bureaucrat's busywork...so the comment was intended in jest and some missed it. Sorry for any confusion...

It's all good man we're all human beings here and I think we all share the love of Aviation. So appreciate all the comments the good the bad and yes the ugly

It's all good man we're all human beings here and I think we all share the love of Aviation. So appreciate all the comments the good the bad and yes the ugly
No problem, conversation like these make me think and keep me on my toes (Iron sharpens Iron), and I'm sure there are others that struggle with what is happening in this industry.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj