Return to home function

Reaction score
Is there a way using the stock transmitter to activate the return to home function on my DJI Phantom other than turning off the transmitter ?

I assume there must be a way to do this without resorting such a scary act of faith in the GPS technology :shock:

muabg said:
Is there a way using the stock transmitter to activate the return to home function on my DJI Phantom other than turning off the transmitter ?

I assume there must be a way to do this without resorting such a scary act of faith in the GPS technology :shock:

Not that I'm aware of.
But trust me, turning off the Tx works. (99% of the time apparently)

Gildo said:
Advanced manual: page 10.

Switch S2 to off, and to HL.

Thanks for your reply but I think that only marks you home position, what I am looking for is a way to trigger the phantom to return to home without resorting to switching off the transmitter.

I have extensive experience flying a Cinestar 6 with a Graupner transmitter which has a switch to trigger return to home flight. I only use this in case of emergency such as loss orientation of the aircraft which is stressful enough and I do not want to add the stress by also turning off my transmitter. :eek:

You don't have to worry.

I have used RTH by turning off the transmitter multiply times and it works 100%. Also if you lose orientation, you do not need to do RTH. Simply just switch to HOME LOCK and pull back on the sick.

This craft is pretty advanced RTF. I feel very safe flying it.

those of us who've installed Futaba's have the ability to flip a switch to turn on Failsafe,
but it really is no different than turning off the DJI transmitter.
- think of the off switch as just another switch that turns on RTH when flipped. simple as that.
(plus it's much less prone to accidentally being tripped.. which I've done once before with my Futaba)

Oh yes, the switch can trip accidentally. This week, I launched my Phantom from a boat off the Irish coast to take some shots for my TV program; the flight was very nice and stable until at some moment the new failsafe activation feature was somehow unintentionally triggered, making the Phantom rush back to its starting position - which, due to the boat movement, was by that time in the open sea. I couldn't understand what was happening since I completely forgot about this new failsafe trigger I've added myself after the firmware update but never tested, so the remote seemed operational to me - but I had no control over the Phantom as it was descending elegantly on water just a meter too far from my desperate attempts to grab it. As it hit the surface, it turned over and quickly went 25 meters down to the bottom. A very nice diver found it an hour later; all the electonics is completely corroded but my GoPro camera with the footage survived, which I consider a happy ending and a great experience. So be careful with that switch :)

New Assistant V2.12 plus the new Firmware V3.12 let you do that. ;)
The old GPS/ATTI/ATTI or Manual now can be set as: GPS/ATTI/RTH all with stock TX.

Great story Nordest. I hope you get reimbursed for the expense of the Phantom. It must have been an emotional
roller coaster ride, watching it come back and land just out of reach.

tanasit said:
The old GPS/ATTI/ATTI or Manual now can be set as: GPS/ATTI/RTH all with stock TX.

Yup,. and apparently it has it's dangers. :(

Im not going to enable it because I've got it set on my D-switch on my Naza,, too easy to flip the thre-way switch too far while flying in FPV.

Gizmo3000 said:
tanasit said:

Yup,. and apparently it has it's dangers. :(

Im not going to enable it because I've got it set on my D-switch on my Naza,, too easy to flip the thre-way switch too far while flying in FPV.

Me neither but what do you mean by D-switch??

Nordest said:
Oh yes, the switch can trip accidentally. This week, I launched my Phantom from a boat off the Irish coast to take some shots for my TV program; the flight was very nice and stable until at some moment the new failsafe activation feature was somehow unintentionally triggered, making the Phantom rush back to its starting position - which, due to the boat movement, was by that time in the open sea. I couldn't understand what was happening since I completely forgot about this new failsafe trigger I've added myself after the firmware update but never tested, so the remote seemed operational to me - but I had no control over the Phantom as it was descending elegantly on water just a meter too far from my desperate attempts to grab it. As it hit the surface, it turned over and quickly went 25 meters down to the bottom. A very nice diver found it an hour later; all the electonics is completely corroded but my GoPro camera with the footage survived, which I consider a happy ending and a great experience. So be careful with that switch :)

You could have moved right stick to ATTI mode and re-gain Phantom control in flight anytime. :geek:

jumanoc said:
Nordest said:

You could have moved right stick to ATTI mode and re-gain Phantom control in flight anytime. :geek:

Yeah, I realized that couple of minutes later when I found out the stick was in the fail-safe position! :oops:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic