Return to home accurac

Sometimes, but I often get as much as 10-15' from the launch spot.

I should mention that's with my P3P.

When I let it go all the way to auto land, I usually land within 3-4 feet of the take off point.

For my phantom, I usually get accuracy to around 2-4 feet, but I typically cancel the RTH once it gets close to me.

FYI, as specified in the manual, anything with 65 feet is acceptable to the phantoms software. For example, if you triggered RTH while the a/c was less than 65 feet from you, it would descend and land without trying to get closer to the home point

Does anyone know how accurate the RTH feature is? Within 1foot or so?
It is as accurate as consumer GPS is - usually within 2.5 metres, occasionally a little more.
(except for the new P4pro which has additional tech to get back within inches)
But there's no need to let some blind programming land your Phantom when you can choose a better landing spot.
It's simple to cancel RTH and resume control.
FYI, as specified in the manual, anything with 65 feet is acceptable to the phantoms software. For example, if you triggered RTH while the a/c was less than 65 feet from you, it would descend and land without trying to get closer to the home point
This is a different matter and not related to RTH accuracy.
You can expect RTH to almost always be within 3 metres and usually less than that.

This is a different matter and not related to RTH accuracy.

My fault. I thought the info might be relevant to OP because he was asking about accuracy (maybe he was planning on flying from a boat or other confined space)

What a lot of people don't realize is that the system we all know and love (GPS) is owned and operated by the USA Government/Military and they can do as they please with it. ie selective availability etc etc

I've had it as close as 2 feet and as far as 6 feet off. I only use it if I lose track of the bird and cancel as soon as I see it.

The US GPS spec is "within 16 ft, 95% of the time. Most of the time, in my testing, it comes in far closer, but counting on it being much inside the spec is asking for trouble - think the edge of a cliff or the bank of the ocean.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

What a lot of people don't realize is that the system we all know and love (GPS) is owned and operated by the USA Government/Military and they can do as they please with it. ie selective availability etc etc
According to www.GPS.gov which is the Official U.S. Government information about the Global Positioning System (GPS) and related topics:
The United States has no intent to ever use Selective Availability again.
In September 2007, the U.S. government announced its decision to procure the future generation of GPS satellites, known as GPS III, without the SA feature. Doing this will make the policy decision of 2000 permanent and eliminate a source of uncertainty in GPS performance that had been of concern to civil GPS users worldwide.

The US GPS spec is "within 16 ft, 95% of the time. Most of the time, in my testing, it comes in far closer, but counting on it being much inside the spec is asking for trouble - think the edge of a cliff or the bank of the ocean.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
In one of my tests a split rail fence would have taken the drone out unless I got really lucky and it landed on a 4" rail ;)

Its nice to use the return to home feature from time to time to check that its still working" piece of mind" but I always like to land it manually and nice and gentle. I find the auto landing a bit quick and hard on the landing gear.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers