Restricted areas - how do you know?

Reaction score
I took this video not long ago
A few days ago I met a guy new to drones, as am I. I told him where I took the video and he indicated it could be in a restricted area and to get an app by the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority, its called CASA. Sure enough it was way into a restricted area, the area is massive, about five times bigger than the metropolitan area of Perth City and mostly bush. Why? The only reason I can think of is that part of it surrounds a large lake that choppers use to collect water to dampen bush fires that rage near Perth in summer. There can be no other reason I can think of. So it's winter now and bush fires are very rare, never heard of one. So they should turn it off from a restricted area. There are controlled burns very occasionally in winter.
So how do you know? Get an app from your local government or state. Raises lots of issues. One of them is that we live in a void at the moment. Rules will become more debatable, more restrictive and more obvious like signs etc.
Another issue is what do regulators do about it, even after the offence? When users are often unaware. We see many videos, even on here, that are "breaking the law" eg over populated areas. To a degree we are in a bit of a "Wild West"
Hope it helps some, and clear the mud up for all of us. Oh and what are the penalties?
I made a mistake I did not take the video, someone did, don't know his name.

I took this video not long ago
A few days ago I met a guy new to drones, as am I. I told him where I took the video and he indicated it could be in a restricted area and to get an app by the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority, its called CASA. Sure enough it was way into a restricted area, the area is massive, about five times bigger than the metropolitan area of Perth City and mostly bush. Why? The only reason I can think of is that part of it surrounds a large lake that choppers use to collect water to dampen bush fires that rage near Perth in summer. There can be no other reason I can think of. So it's winter now and bush fires are very rare, never heard of one. So they should turn it off from a restricted area. There are controlled burns very occasionally in winter.
So how do you know? Get an app from your local government or state. Raises lots of issues. One of them is that we live in a void at the moment. Rules will become more debatable, more restrictive and more obvious like signs etc.
Another issue is what do regulators do about it, even after the offence? When users are often unaware. We see many videos, even on here, that are "breaking the law" eg over populated areas. To a degree we are in a bit of a "Wild West"
Hope it helps some, and clear the mud up for all of us. Oh and what are the penalties?
I made a mistake I did not take the video, someone did, don't know his name.
Hi this on my home screen setting
14978942634192053657325.jpg
1497894303715-749763657.jpg

Get a copy of the Australian version of the sectional for your area. It should show restricted areas, controlled airspace and operating hours. For us here in the US, sectionals are the bible. Check with some local pilots or FBO, they may have some info on active times for those areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20