Request from Local Media to Fly New Years Eve!

Reaction score
LMAO, Even if you said OK, Then what??? All the footage would be useless because it's going to go somewhere visible to people - including the FAA. They asked you because they knew they'd get their *** handed to them if they got one and flew themselves lol. I swear the media is so Jekyl and Hyde with this. I had a reporter for local news try to get me to interview and demo one day and I had no clue whether my interview would have been used to do a hit piece on UAVs or a fair representation of the facts. I could see it happening though because everyone I know who has a skewed opinion against UAVs - A) Never flew or seen one up close B) Got all their negative info from the media (blowhards).

EVERY single time I flew in a place where lots of people congregated (No, I did not fly over them), the people who watched or even came up to ask questions, always left with changed minds about how little threat they are to their privacy or safety.

I completely support the FAA rules and need for keeping manned aircraft and people on the ground safe first and foremost, so I'm patiently waiting for some form of reasonable regulation to allow us to fly commercially.

I'm glad you took the time to check into the environment they asked you to fly in and weighed it against what rules stand as of now. It's just being responsible even though it's hard to resist the temptation of making some cash.

I probably will fly a fireworks show this New Years, but it will be on my own, no commercial use and even though there will be lots of people around. This venue has water features and boardwalks people will be standing on, so even in the worst case scenario a fail means my Phantoms take a bath and nobody is getting hurt. I won't be flying my Phantom anywhere close to the fireworks for the simple fact that doing that risks it getting hit and the potential for a deflection of one of the charges and possibly someone getting hurt.

LiLPhantom said:
Baha! I received this request: "Hello, XXXXXXX Can I ask.....Are you available on New Years Eve from 930pm to 1230am to fly up and down Mill Ave. and the capture the fireworks at midnight. If you're available what is your ballpark pricing for that type of gig....for your labor and gear."

If you don't mind me asking how did they find you to ask this? I'm familiar with Mill ave and live a couple miles from there here in Phoenix.
Was just wondering. I might like to get some weekend jobs flying for Free to keep it legal :) but no I wouldn't do that either. That's asking for trouble and they wouldn't have to go far for a headline story..

LiLPhantom said:
Cannot use FPV (First Person View such as monitors or video downlink to goggles or tv screens), aircraft must be within LOS Line of Site.
There are currently no FAA rules against FPV or out of LOS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31